How do I find out what to shoot for at Sears

billpennock

I got the 944 out at Sears point for 2 days, the first of which included time with Hank Watt's who has written a book and is a very, very well known driving teacher. It was incredible, what a track. I know I can take turn 1 and turn 10 faster the bigger the brass gets but in the mean time I am looking for other peoples time in a normally aspirated 944 to know what I should be shooting for. Is there a place I can find this out?

Our cars are unique in terms of engine , weight, suspension package. YOU are setting the bench mark. And I'm glad as hell you called it Sears Point! It will always be SEARS POINT!

As odd as this sounds look at Spec Miata Times.

Most tracks we got the SM times are not that different from ours. They are probably the closets cars, but not directly compareable.

So if their best run a 2:04 and you are runnign 2:12 you have good way to go. If you start pushing hard and start turing 2:06's then you are probably solid.

But as Tim said you are setting the benchmark for us a Sears and will be the Sears point track recored holder there in your first race! Enjoy it!

First, Tim, I'm confused. What the heck else would you call it ?

I am not sure I am ready to set any benchmarks but ok. I was only able to get the Hot Lap timer to work on the first day and got several 2:09's and a 2:08. I know I went faster at least 2 sessions the second day but it's unconfirmed. I can also say that I left room in several places. As I get more comfortable with the car and more sure of it, and it is a very sure car, there was an average of 1/3rd of the drag strip left comming out of the carrosel, I am not sure just how much of that the power will let me use but I have some room to get on it earlier certainly. There was room left on turn 10, that is a really, really fast corner and the wall is really really right there and if you miss that apex you really really run out of room quick and lifting isn't gonna help. Well actually I'll have to play with that a bit because a very, very slight lift might turn it in just enough, I'm guess'n it would take 15 minutes to 1/2 hour to get my butt to let go of the seat if I really needed that. I left some on the table in 11.

All in all I am pretty sure that perfection and large brass would allow close to full throttle from turn 11 through the top of the hill at 2, and from turn in to 8a all the way through to turn 11 with perhaps a slight lift turning into 10. I am lifting a bit going into 1, I am a little slow into 6 and braking too much before 10.

There is my Sears Point ALMS setup track report.

Hey, someone come up here and show me the way on an HPDE or club track day! This is more fun that someone should be allowed to have but I'll take it.

NASA Nor-Cal Results of Feb 7th & 8th 2004

Spec Miata race

Best laps for Racers in race Sat Feb 7th

1:57.868

1:58.265

2:00.554

2:00.708

2:02.310

2:03.636

2:07.304

Best laps for Racers in race Sun Feb 8th

1:57.555

2:00.427

2:01.388

2:01.995

2:08.687

So it looks like 2:00 is deicent SM time with a 1:57 being a top time.

If you were doing 2:07 and 2:08 that is not to bag for the first time out in the car.

BTW... it is "offically" called Infinieon raceway now. It is a sponsor ship deal.

Thanks for the times, saves me from having to look them up. I was hoping to follow a miata around but never ran into one. I agree it is a very close cousin to the 944 due to low weight (although lower) low power (again lower) and all about keep'n it flow'n. The 944 is VERY different from my Audi A6 (imagine that). Someone asked me if it was different and I said well, the both have 4 wheels and are controlled by a 5th one in the car in front of me, other than that....no similarity.

Of course I knew about Infineon and the sponsorship thing but I don't like it much. The following is just an opinion and I don't fault anyone for calling it Infineon but.... Next it will be the New England Hartford's vs. the Carolina Phillip Morris playing at the whatever stadium. Then what, every time they name a player they will have to use their sponsor name as a middle name? It's gotta stop somewhere and only we, the fans, can do it by not recognizing it.

Yeah, It's a deal alright and it makes me want to puke

I understand the business end of it, but all I see as a racer, is throwing away years of racing history. It's like re-naming a famous battle ground because someone paid $$ for it. That's just wrong............................