Group 1 or 2

dsbetgeorge1

Hello all.

I'm new to HPDE but not new to driving on the track. I have had several events on track and approx 10 AutoX events. This includes a driving school at Thunderhill. I want to sign up for HPDE but wish to start with group 2.

Will I have any problems if I simply sign up for Group 2? The fact is, many outings only allow group 2-4 so it would allow me to get on the track faster. I assure you, I can handle it. I just want to confirm it would be okay before signing up.

BTW, I'd like to go to Thunderhill on August 12th.

TIA.

• 1 month later...
Greg,

Thanks again for your response. I got all the help I needed.

Dan

If you are willing to share ... what was the outcome?

Did you start in 2 or ???

How did it go?

I did a 2-day HPDE1 last weekend and, based on evaluations and my own "feel" I might request HPDE2 next outing (prolly next year)

I assume I will have to work with the local region, but I'm interested in National or cross-region standards and guidelines in this area (more on that later).

TIA

Greg,

Thanks again for your response. I got all the help I needed.

Dan

If you are willing to share ... what was the outcome?

Did you start in 2 or ???

How did it go?

I did a 2-day HPDE1 last weekend and, based on evaluations and my own "feel" I might request HPDE2 next outing (prolly next year)

I assume I will have to work with the local region, but I'm interested in National or cross-region standards and guidelines in this area (more on that later).

TIA

NP. I did run out there. I had no problems running with group 2. I was expecting some issue, sometime. However, it was never a question at all!

I was also allowed to have a passenger. He paid $5 and strapped on his helmet. That was it!

It was lots of fun to say the least. There was quite a few cars out there. Seemed like 35-40 vehicles. However, not that many traffic problems because of the long track (3 miles) and the fact that most of them were group 2.

If you don't need an instructor and feel you're ready, ask to run group 2.

Also keep the log book they offer if you plan on going to different regions. If you run with the same people they tend to recognize you after a few events... it could just be that I look goofy though too...