Standing Starts

Dennis Short

HC uses standing starts right? Do you use a line lock type device or something to keep the car from rolling or do you just heel toe the gas and brake?

We did a standing start in the 944-Spec class last year in Phoenix at AMP. I didn't really like it compared to the regular rolling start that NASA normally does and that wasn't even considering the smell of burning clutches.

Paul Bloomberg

2003 Az 944-Spec Champion

#51 HC1 ITR

HC started this way in one race last year at Infineon when we were mixed in with the touring cars. I've raced in a series where we only did standing starts, so have started this way in about 100 races. People seem to think that a standing start is hard on the drivetrain, but this is not true for a front wheel drive. It's fairly easy. The main thing to remember is to no try too hard, otherwise you'll just wheelspin. You actually don't get that much grip and so end up launching at fairly low rpm. At the start hold the car on the handbrake and let the clutch out until it is just engaging. The worst thing I found driving a CRX was that I often could not see the lights if there were any cars in front of me.

Ditto! I personally prefer standing starts, I find you can usually pick exactly where you are going to be when you get rolling. Check out the video of my start at Infinion.

Surprise us NASA... Throw in a standing start ocasionally?

Kiwi

The Honda Challenge concept started out with standing starts. In 2002 every ECHC race was in it's own run group with a standing start.

As NASA-VA added race groups, we lost the our own run group and standing starts in 2003 except at a few HyperFest events.

In 2004, we are running with 944-cup, so again no starting start.

I would hope we can get back to doing starting starts. It makes the series unique in the club racing ranks and makes for great spectating.

• Members

You can do standing starts with multiple groups. We do it all the time. Start the standing group as the first group and the other group follow that are rolling and you just make sure the spacing is correct. If Cobetto or LM needs to know how it's done have him give one of the west coast people a call

• Members

Who wants to do a standing start at T-Hill this weekend for Honda Challenge. Raise your hand...or just type yes. I think it would be fun one of the days. My only standing start was at Infineon last year and that was a blast!

Who wants to do a standing start at T-Hill this weekend for Honda Challenge. Raise your hand...or just type yes. I think it would be fun one of the days. My only standing start was at Infineon last year and that was a blast!

I know I havent raced yet.. but I like standing starts.. they look more exciting.

I, for one, miss standing starts so much. I agree that standing starts once made the ECHC unique and extra-exciting for both the racer and the spectator. As a driver, I miss the anxious feeling I would get as we would get into formation for the standing start, stop, raise the revs, watch for that orange flag to drop (revealing the green flag), and launch. I personally don't like drag racing, but when you put 20-30 cars in the mix, getting to and through turn 1 can be pretty exciting (unless throttle cable breaks when you attempt to bring up your revs for the start, then it is just plain scary).

As the co-director for the Southeast Honda Challenge, I was told that if we got enough cars for our own run group, we could do whatever we want. Jim Pantas (Director for NASA Southeast) agreed that the standing starts always draw a crowd and are cool for both drivers and spectators. If we do get enough cars, and if most everyone else is comfortable with this format, I will definitely push for it in Nashville on Mar 13-14.

If standing starts worry you, think about this--at least the speed is slower going into turn one.

As the co-director for the Southeast Honda Challenge, I was told that if we got enough cars for our own run group, we could do whatever we want. Jim Pantas (Director for NASA Southeast) agreed that the standing starts always draw a crowd and are cool for both drivers and spectators.

Standing start for RA in June! RA is also a great track for spectating and is *VERY* close to the burbs of N. Atlanta. We need to spread the word.

• 3 weeks later...
The worst thing I found driving a CRX was that I often could not see the lights if there were any cars in front of me.

Or if a car ahead of you stalled. D'oh!

Matt

Down here in Texas we did a standing start for our first race (3/6) at MSR. We have been running with the AI & CMC guys so it was pretty exciting. The remainder of the races were run with a rolling start.

-Trevor