Camera and HPDE?

dsbetgeorge1

I know this question has been posed before. I apologize in advance. I would like to record my HPDE session. I plan to attach a small bullet cam to the hood of my car. By simply using zip ties, I could safely secure it to the hood vents. The wire would then be routed into the vehicle connected to the camcorder. The camcorder would be located in the bottom section of a 2 piece center console. It would be secured in there as well with styrofoam surrounding it.

So, by taking those safe precautions, can I record my sessions?

From my own experience it sounds like you'll be fine. If you can demonstrate that the parts won't become missles in a crash, the tech inspectors are usually fine.

I have run with a camera mounted on a tripod, the tripod bolted to the rear seat mounts and a cable attached to the camera to prevent it from reaching the driver/passenger if it came loose from the tripod. The whole thing looked sketchy but it was solid.

Good luck.

Sounds good. In between sessions, clean the lense on the camera. Darn bugs and dust!

Not only is video cool to watch, it is also a great learning tool.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to recording the session. Now, I'll just have to play around with the external mic. I want to place it somehow whereas I get engine/exhaust sound without wind noise.

I believe you're trying to capture something like this. (both audio & video) (TURN DOWN YOUR SPEAKERS FIRST)

First, you should get the suction cup mount that they sell at Chase Cam. Zip ties aren't going to keep it steady enough.Then place it on the roof near the windshield, like the video above. That is the best prospective.

If you have a powered mic, place it near the exhaust. Get some mic 'foam' and wrap it twice to eliminate any wind noise.

As far as the camcorder itself, it should be OK in the console, if the console is sturdy enough.

Final inspection is up to your instructor.

(TURN DOWN YOUR SPEAKERS FIRST)[/size]

Geez, Did you place that mic inside your exhaust! Man, that was loud. Your car sounds pissed off

Thanks for the information. I'm now looking into other things like the 2 camera PIP. I'd love to get a front and rear camera going. That would be sweet! Are there any programs like Pinnacle that allow PIP postprocessing or do you have to purchase one of these costly modules?

... I placed the mic at the right rear brake lite area. You outta hear some of the C5r stuff I recorded. The mic is next to the driver.

Contact Randy at Chase Cams for the more exotic stuff. He's got digital boxes and knows just about everything about this sorta thing. I don't know that PIP will get you much, as far as instructional.

I have used the large suction cup mount on the side of the car for that look at the front tire and the apex, as well as the out the back to get that 'Where I bin' prospective or solid mounts for suspension analyzing and driver activities. I once did the drivers feet to see what was really happening compared to the StackData onboard the race car.

The whole thing is endless. I once had a request from a race team (that does a lot of development work) to look at wind venturis in an air intake box using a small light and a smoke generator.

I too would recommend to speaking with Chase Cam (Randy or Bill). As said, getting the rear view won't help too much for instructional purposes, but it sure looks cool. If you ever get into racing, it would become even nicer as you can see what the guys are doing behind you. Besides, that's where all of the traffic will be.

Becareful of Pinnacle; it is pretty unstable software, althought in if it works it would be a great tool to edit video. Trying to match two cameras esp. if cutting the footage would be tough. Ideally you'd want a multi-plexer to take both the front and rear footage.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just attended the Thunderhill event on Saturday. It was a blast! I really enjoyed myself. I never got a chance to get the camcorder sorted out. However, I did see someone with a ManFrotto camera mount. It was attached to his rear window (Porsche 996).

It seemed like a great mount and was reasonably priced at $100. I would like to get a similiar or the same mount. Is this what you would recommend?

Here is a pic:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=BO3289&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=5574

Anyone aware if NASA approves the chasecam suction mount of a lipstick cam? This is the unit with 3 round suctions, supposedly able to withstand high shear rates. Esp. interested in mounting to the INSIDE rear side window or rear window itself. I do not have either a harness or roll bar, and can't really mount to the pass seat back.

Thanks for any clarification.

Anyone aware if NASA approves the chasecam suction mount of a lipstick cam? This is the unit with 3 round suctions, supposedly able to withstand high shear rates. Esp. interested in mounting to the INSIDE rear side window or rear window itself. I do not have either a harness or roll bar, and can't really mount to the pass seat back.

Thanks for any clarification.

I have ran one in NASA-MA for years without any problem. They stay where I put them, I add a few strips of blue tape just incase but I doubt it is needed.