convex rear view mirror, where and what works best

billpennock

I was told by a veteran racer that he has tried many rear views and he finally got a convex mirror and that's what he likes. Unfortunately I forgot to ask where he got it. On top of that he doesn't run a 944 anyway so what he got might not be what I need anyway. I have found some that just mount over the rear view you already have but I'm not sure that the stock mirror will support that under the loads tracking and racing will induce. So, I'd like some advice on rear views for the 944, particularly convex as I think that will help alot with 2 somewhat blind spots I have.

Bill, I steer drivers away from the convex mirrors. The info they give is distorted. You have to learn to "translate" what you're seeing, i.e. "That 911 behind me looks 2" high in the mirror, therefore he must be about 30 feet back." It takes some getting used to.

I think the Wink brand 5-section mirror is the best out there. It gives a continuous actual image from quarter window to quarter window. It's about $20-$30 dollars from NAPA or Pep boys. Make sure you open the box and check that it has steel brackets, not plastic ones.

NOTE: Careful, If you mount it upside down, you'll get 5 views instead of one continuous image.

I was looking at the wink and the same guy that told me about the convex said that he tried it and it made him crazy because it was 5 views. He found himself driving in the mirrors more than he should. Maybe he mounted it upside down.

Yep. That's exactly what he did. Seen it many times my friend...................Now you know better. Ain't this forum a great thing!?

At your service,

Oh, yeah? Well, the Wink mirror doubles as a sun visor, too. So there, Jeff.

Opinions are opinions even when paid for. Sort out the facts and see what suits you best.