FONTANA UPDATE! First 2004 race on March 6th-7th

Tim Comeau

I'll update and move the important stuff here.

First, some great news for our SoCal Group. Remember I said I was working on door prizes for the class? Well, stuff is starting to come in! I got a nice email from Kirk in marketing at

******* SSF IMPORTED AUTO PARTS. He's shipping me, get this you guys,

20 cans of ATE Super Blue brake fluid!

10 stock air filters!

2 K & N airfilters!

6 full sets of mintex brake pads! And there's more, too.

These are really going to help keep MY racing costs down.......................

Just kidding! It's for door prizes and "other" awards for the SoCal group and guests from the PHX and NorCal 944-spec Groups. But, as I also stated before, these prizes can only go to 944-spec cars which are 100% legal. That's part of the deal.

******* I received 10 banners from TOYO TIRES and a stack of decals too.

******* I'm also finalizing a deal with AUTOBAHN PARTS, which sells used parts for dirt cheap.

In each case, we wear the decals on our beautiful Porsche race cars and we get the deals.

Who loves ya, baby? (Kojack)

At your service more than ever,

Edited by Guest

OK , SO HERE'S WHERE THE ROLE CALL WILL BE LISTED FOR FONTANA

1. Comeau #22 driving "The Convict" car in women's underwear!

2. Benbow #56 driving his new car

3. Sorensen #70 driving "The Lowenbrau Special"

4. Yousko #57 driving the red "Heinz- 57" ketchup car

5. Wilberding #08 driving "the "Tetris" car

6. Spargo #16 driving his new car

7. Boles #25 driving the "Team Ghetto Boy" car.

8. Thompson #03 driving the Other "Team Ghetto Boy" car

9. Ray/Wright #69 driving their new white and blue car (my old car!)

10. Puddester #11 driving "Moby Dick."

11. Marguglio #62 driving the beautiful "Mobil One" car.

12. Rickard #83 driving the new yellow "Black Forest "car.

13. Reitman #99 driving his new car.

14. Gormley #44, who took 3rd in the PHX series for 2003!

possibles?

Bernheim # 66 driving "the Death Mobile" from Animal House.

Grow #30 driving his sapphire car.

Foley #59 driving his new white car

Kane # 17 driving his gray car, again.

Steele # 86 driving the new "AUTOBAHN" car.

Wister # ?

PLUS any other 944's we can get into the HPDE Groups!

If you don't have your racing license, you can enter in one of the HPDE (time trial) groups. The car doesn't have to be fully prepared for you to have a blast and hang out with us. You don't have to buy a set of TOYO TIRES for the HPDE entries. Just bring your 944 as is, preferably with the correct decals, and have fun. This is a great track and close to home!

How about some PHX Group racers?

Edited by Guest

Who still needs decals and suit patches. That's part of the tech inspection you know. Who still has yet to get pics of yourself and your race car to Joe Paluch?

Still think that's unimportant? Kirk at SSF IMPORTED AUTO PARTS was asking for details on our group, including pics of the cars! Please get it done NOW. Other sponsors are on the line and I'm sending them to Joe Paluch's website to view our SoCal Group.

Help me to help you..........

OK , SO HERE'S WHERE THE ROLE CALL WILL BE LISTED FOR FONTANA

1. Comeau #22 driving "The Convict" car in women's underwear!

2. Benbow #56 driving his new car

3. Sorensen #70 driving "The Lowenbrau Special"

4. Yousko #57 driving the red "Heinz- 57" ketchup car

5. Wilberding #08 driving "the "Tetris" car

6. Spargo #16 driving his new car

7. Boles #25 driving the "Team Ghetto Boy" car.

8. Thompson #03 driving the Other "Team Ghetto Boy" car

9. Ray/Wright #69 driving their new white and blue car (my old car!)

10. Puddester #11 driving "Moby Dick."

11. Marguglio #62 driving the beautiful "Mobil One" car.

12. Rickard #83 driving the new yellow "Black Forest "car.

possibles?

Bernheim # 66 driving "the Death Mobile" from Animal House.

Grow #30 driving his sapphire car.

Foley #59 driving his new white car

Steele # 86 driving the new "AUTOBAHN" car.

Reitman # 99 driving his new car.

Wister # ?

PLUS any other 944's we can get into the HPDE Groups!

If you don't have your racing license, you can enter in one of the HPDE (time trial) groups. The car doesn't have to be fully prepared for you to have a blast and hang out with us. You don't have to buy a set of TOYO TIRES for the HPDE entries. Just bring your 944 as is, preferably with the correct decals, and have fun. This is a great track and close to home!

How about some PHX Group racers?

#99 will be there for first test of new car!!!

Stick with me, racers. Here's some more.

AUTOBAHNPARTS.COM has agreed to a deal exclusive to 944-spec racers. We'll display their 14" decal on the nose of our cars and get a whopping 50% off the price of their USED 944 parts. (Call them for used BMW parts as well.) You must be a 944-spec racer with your name on my list, which I'll provide to Sean at AUTOBAHN. Please identify yourself as a 944-spec racer on the phone or email. 619.444.2290 Talk to Sean.

Who needs wheels? Spare suspension/engine pieces? Don't abuse it or we'll lose it.

Also, you new racers who are building cars, let's not forget about the deal we have with PARAGON PRODUCTS. You can buy the whole suspension package for early or late cars at 10% off, but you must buy the whole package to get that price. Call me or email me first, then talk to Chuck or Jason. They're good guys.

I am working on the provisional license and have my physical on Thursday. Not sure if my first track time in the 944 should be the race. I might chose the HPDE instead. Thoughts?

My only problem with that is figuring out how to watch my sister in the marathon and then make it back to track. I am thinking i could ride my motorcycle and then put in the trailer?

If I can pull off, I would love to do both.

Jay,

I could always race the car Sunday, to show Timmy how it's done, ass-kickin' Aussie style. A pair of big red boxing gloves up the side of ya helmet!!!

4 boxes of SSF IMPORTED PARTS came to the house today! They're going to send a banner and some shirts and hats, too!

Still waiting to hear from other companies................

Chris Benbow and I worked out some good locations for placement of the decals from AUTOBAHNPARTS.COM and the additional two TOYO TIRES decals required for 2004(front and rear). We brainstormed to find the best combination of "fit", exposure, balance, without committing space which could be used for other, larger decals later. I think you guys will be happy with our decisions. Basically, the TOYO TIRES decals are split and "stacked " on the pass side headlight cover at a 45 degree angle. The rear one is also split and stacked on the driver's side just under the spoiler. The AUTOBAHNPARTS.COM decals go on the very front of the front fender just above the valence edge. These locations should be great for everybody except Marguglio!

I'll try to launch pics asap, though I still have all the decals here.

Chris, did you shoot any pics yet?

The deal is: We display their decals and they support the series with small door prizes. Typically the do it yourself kind of things like air filters, brake pads, oil filters.

Cool?

The deal is: We display their decals and they support the series with small door prizes. Typically the do it yourself kind of things like air filters, brake pads, oil filters.

Cool?

Door prizes would suggest a banquet, in which case typically the "donor" gets their recognition at the event. IMO, these things work better when there is a more direct and specific reward (e.g. the Toyo deal). Unless you're a sticker junkie, you may not want the extra stickers and it shouldn't detract from sponsors that have provide a larger contribution.

Since SSF sells to shops, I'm not sure what benefit they would get from the exposure since we can't purchase anything from them. i.e. the exposure doesn't really reach the right audience. I do know they sponsor some NorCal stuff, but again, the audience can't respond to the advertising.

What might work is a deal similar to Toyo where there is pull thru from a shop that buys parts from SSF. Example: SSF gives credit to a racer for the parts that his shop buys from SSF for his car. This does, however, bring up some complications because how would we know how much our shops spend w/ SSF? The shops probably wouldn't give us copies of their invoices as they are marking the parts up to us. I know our shops purchase a lot of our parts from SSF, so I could see SSF wanting to strengthen this bond.

Wow.............

It's working just fine. FREE is the word that comes to mind first.

There are no sponsors that have provided a larger contribution, though we've reserved space for that possibility.

Obviously, SSF sees the benefit in sponsoring our series because they're actually doing it.

I don't understand your position, Jeff. Is there something I don't know?

Jeff,

I'm not so sure I understand either??? When getting a new series off the ground, any sponsor is a good sponsor. I am assuming that SSF knows that it's customers (shops) will be at the races as well and see the goodwill that it's company is doing to promote the sport. The more racers means more broken parts, which directly benefits SSF. Also, to a company like SSF, the parts they have supplied is a drop in the bucket and does not affect them one way or the other.

-Tyler

We'll give SSF some good attention! It's all good, and I'm really pleased to have their support in any form.

Let's find some more free stuff for our drivers!

I was just pointing out a potentially bigger opportunity with a wholesale distributor. Really its no different than with Toyo, except that Toyo is a manufacturer and there products are clearly denoted on an invoice.

By and large, I don't think the shops are at the races. You're right though, given the limited mods we can do, there isn't much for a vendor. The deal Tim struck w/ Paragon makes a lot of sense, since nearly every driver might take advantage of it.