HPDE and the Paddle Shifted 240SX

kellen_wynn

I had so much fun at my first open track event, I had to post about it. At first I was worried about all the rules and regulations but now realize its pretty much common sense. I had a great instructor and met plenty of nice people who shared my passion. It was a whole day of family fun and nobody got hurt (one car did get crushed). Thank you NASA for all the great memories and those to come! Thank you Twist Machine for sponsoring my vehicle and making this all possible. Thank you Bill Hartzel of Hartzel Automotive for answering all my questions.

Initially the car had a poor showing in the first session due to my unfamiliarity to the course. Ill timed shifts caused the car to bog down in the technical turns of the track because I was more concerned with steering the car. It also didn’t help that I was out classed by every car in my group (i.e. 350z, M3, G35, Carrera, 500hp+ Corvette, etc.)

For the second run I switched the paddle shifter off in order learn the race line and limits of the car. I was also curious to see the difference between the two configurations in regards to performance. Calibration A (automatic mode), was set for a more comfortable ride with less line pressure and less shift firmness. The car was quicker this time around but some of shifts were done in some inopportune moments or weren’t done at all. For example; turn 2 could be taken with no braking, 3rd gear, up 80% throttle. In Cal.A, the car would come in to the turn in 4th with the TC locked up causing me to apply some brake. The car would also shift about mid turn before I am ready. Or after turn 5, which requires heavy downhill braking, there is incline that leads to the back straightaway which should be taken at full throttle. But the car stays in 4th at low rpm due to the previous braking and slowly drags itself up the rpms even at full throttle. These were the exact problems I set out to remedy with this project.

Third time is the charm! With two runs ingrained in my mind, I flipped the paddle shifter back on and hit the track with a vengeance. This time I knew exactly what gears I needed to be in for each turn and the car and the Shrifter performed like magic. Shifts were fast, accurate, and easy. Calibration B (true manual mode), was set for maximum line pressure and shift firmness. Downshifts were safe due to the configurations made available by the PCS TCU. For example, you can set the rev limiter for the tranny that way there is no risk of over-revving in the downshift. Also with engine brake reduced, the braking characteristics are greatly improved since the car no longer lunges forward with the downshift. The paddle shifter allowed me to remain in the optimal rpm range through out the turns which produced faster times on the track. In fact, I stopped getting passed and started doing the passing.

Last session was a lot like the third except for the fact that I held back a little on the straight-aways. I had to make a 6 hour return trip through the hot dessert and didn’t want to push it. Overall the Shrifter and PCS TCU performed wonderfully and is a great addition to any A/T project car destined for the open track.

P.O.I.s

• W/ or w/o the Shrifter turned on, transmission temps never exceeded 210F. Oil temp always got to 250F (short sweep gauge). Water temp would be slightly above mid-level after 20 minutes. *These temperatures are not uncommon even though an oil cooler may be necessary in the future.

• Paddles never interfered with the operation of the vehicle. (i.e. hitting my hands, turn signals, etc.)

• Met and had a conversation with Formula Drift racer Taka Aono. We talked mostly about Japan and I showed him the Shrifter.

• The instructor, which I allowed to drive the car for a couple laps, was thrilled with lack of lunge when the car was downshifted.

• Shift times were approximately 0.37-0.26 seconds. Basically, less than a half-second.

19052the_wait_Custom_.jpg

190525995430-R1-041-19_Large_Small_-med.jpg

190525995410-R1-E025_Large_Small_-med.jpg

Twist Machine

The Shrifter paddle shifter

http://www.twistmachine.com

productlead.jpg

Willow Springs is a great track! Don't worry about the other cars out there. My friends and I have Mustangs, so even more cars are more track favorable. But we still get around them. Just takes some practice.

Nice 240 by the way. My friend as a 93 w/ the SR20DET in it.

• Members
Willow Springs is a great track! Don't worry about the other cars out there. My friends and I have Mustangs, so even more cars are more track favorable. But we still get around them. Just takes some practice.

Nice 240 by the way. My friend as a 93 w/ the SR20DET in it.

Only worry that you are holding up a train of cars and kindly let them go.

Im glad you had a good time out there!

I havent seen Taka in a long time! I thought I saw him as I came thru the gates on saturday... (Uh, that car looks familiar...) We used to race together back in the day of Solo2... LOL!!

Yeah, I came on a Sunday so everybody knew the track when I showed up. It wasn't till my third run that I started passing folks before that I was wavn' them by. It really is a fast track!

Check out this poor guy's car.

19052100_0023-med.jpg

talking about august 5-6th?

i was there the 5th with a red ford focus SVT. kinda loud. number was 666. i was hanging around with the M3 convertable and red miata most of the time, and the purple 993 carrara... i think i saw you guys as i remember a few 240s being there....

i was there the 5th with a red ford focus SVT. kinda loud. number was 666. i was hanging around with the M3 convertable and red miata most of the time, and the purple 993 carrara... i think i saw you guys as i remember a few 240s being there....

I was there on the Sunday 6th of August. I dont recall spotting you but I wasn't paying attention.

ARE YOU GUYS DOING BUTTONWILLOW ON 10-14/15?

I AM THINKING OF CALLING HERTZ AGAIN!!!!

THAT 350Z WAS BLAST TO DRIVE.

Planning a caravan? I dont know if I'll still be Cali in Oct. What 350z you talking about?