First WERC stop...Who's in?

mikeski38

• Members

Team GOTO Racing made a late decision to race the enduro, but in our H4/E2 Integra. We have plans in the works to run the entire enduro series in the Integra, but make a return to the 25 this year in the E3 CRX. There are more people to race against in E2, there was some 7 or so cars at T-Hill. We managed a win in our first enduro in the Integra. See everyone at Buttonwillow!!!!

Brian is too modest with his humble acknowledgement that they won the E2 class in yesterday's 3-hour enduro at Thunderhill. I was priviledged to occupy the 3rd floor observation deck with Brian and Chris Lock's spotters and was able to watch their race-craft and never-say-die attitude. As a Triple Crown winning team owner in SCCA's Formula Atlantic (2003), I know a true racer when I see one, and this team has what it takes. They are one tough team, and I'm just glad that I don't plan to go head-to-head with them in E2 (my options at this point are ESR and E3).

Brian drove first and handed over to Brian with a solid lead in a slightly ailing car. Brian had reported potential CV or bearing problems prior to his hand-off, and the team used up their several minute lead in thoroughly checking out the front end. The seat swap was made and Chris resumed the fight in third place and a lap and a half down to the leader.

Fast-forward to 25 minutes to go in the race. Chris had caught up with and was stalking the RX-7 in second place. Several laps ensued before a perfect slingshot pass going into turn 1 put Chis into second, a lap and 22 seconds down to the class leading Spec Miata. The RX-7 wasn't giving up, though, and hung tight with Chris, with both cars running laps in the 2:13 range. The Miata wasn't exactly laying down, either, but Chris and the RX-7 were carving off 2-3 seconds per lap from his lead.

Fuel was a concern, and with 10 minutes to go, the team was in agony over whether to stop for a splash-and-go. Do it and the Miata wins uncontested. Don't do it and you run the risk of that oh-so-painful silence. Then with 6 minutes to go the Miata slowed suddenly in the turn 10-12 complex. I don't know what was wrong, but he continued towards pit-in very slowly. As the Miata approached turn 14 Chris and the RX-7 swept by him and into the lead. Then just as suddenly, the RX-7 pealed off into the pits for a splash-and-go while the Miata went behind the wall.

Chris soldiered on into the lead alone, and here is where their superb racecraft comes in. His team timed the RX-7's pitstop...50 seconds from stop to roll-off. Then the very next lap, Brian called Chris in for a 35-second fuel stop, and then rejoined the fight 12 seconds ahead of the RX-7. Surprising all of us, the Maita rejoined the fight at full speed with three minutes to go (had it run out of fuel and required bleeding the FI rail?). With just a couple of laps to go the RX-7 was called in for a stop-n-go penalty for an infraction on the last stop and the fight was over. Chris motored to a well deserved victory.

[Any errors here are mine alone.]

Nice win for GOTO! Here is another example of how important a crew is. Without timing the pitstops & laptimes of the other racers, it would have been a crap shoot.

PS told you the bearing would make it.

• Members

The bearing did make it...but it was making more noise than our open exhaust by the end of my stint in the car. We are going to completely replace all the wheel bearings and front axels. Maybe then we could maybe watch the in-car footage we get without the picture being blurred.

Stan et all,

Thanks for the encouragement and the kinds words! We are a very young team and I think it is a great testament to NASA that we have been able to accomplish so much so quickly.

Our Thanks to Mike Quan and Derreck from Team RNR, Al Butterfield and folks like Stan that have helped us and taught us and made these events so much fun. Even in defeat (25 hour) we treasure the time we spend at the track with everyone in NASA and only hope that we too, someday can help an up and comming team or driver as much as these people and many others have helped us.

I know a true racer when I see one, and this team has what it takes...

Thanks for the kid words Stan! That means alot coming from someone with your experience. I am just glad we could entertain someone. That is what racing is about right?

Does your Atlantic Team have a website? I am fascinated by open wheels and would love to read about your team's exploits.

Hope to see you at the next enduro!

Hey guys,

You guys did a great job, and deserve the accolades. We too know what it's like to struggle for success in racing, and how tough it is to move up or even just be successful where you're at.

We don't have a team website. That would be nice, but we've never taken the time to do a porper job of it. Other things, like getting ready for the next race, always seem to take a higher priority. However, my son has a personal website, where you can read the bare outlines from last season. It is at http://www.rennieclayton.com

You can google on "Rennie Clayton" to find numerous hits. Here are a few sample articles and a photo of him on the top rung at Mid-Ohio last September:

http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/news/grassroots/2003/12-22-01.html

http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm?pagetype=2&form_article=5888

sccarace-2003-run-bm-0694.jpg

Turns out that I belive it was the half shaft bearing all along. Wheel hub tempertures were good at the lenthy pit stop. We will fiind out tonight as I tear into the ailing but proud victor! The Integra get a much needed PM for the next 2 weeks.

Damn, I wish I did not have to get home.. I missed on heck of a race. glad to see that the car held together.

Next time I will stay and Pit for the whole enduro!

Brian,

Wish you could have stayed to enjoy the fruits of your participation. As always, you figured prominently in Team GOTO:Racing winning the race.

As much as I want to see you get youor racing license, i worry about losing your expertise, skill and helpfulness in the pits.

So what do you think about that intermediate shaft? I think it is the root of the issue we were have Sunday.

Brian,

Wish you could have stayed to enjoy the fruits of your participation. As always, you figured prominently in Team GOTO:Racing winning the race.

As much as I want to see you get youor racing license, i worry about losing your expertise, skill and helpfulness in the pits.

So what do you think about that intermediate shaft? I think it is the root of the issue we were have Sunday.

you have no worries at this time.. i have no plas to run enduros.. as far as that shaft, I would want to take it appart and look at it.. I think it was moving around more than it should. I'm pretty sure that wheel bearing in the rear needs some work thoe.. let me know if you want me to come out and help on the integra..

Well, I got to the bottom of the growling Integra last night. It was the right rear wheel bearing and it was toast! New hub assembly installed and all should be well.