Car won't start- suggestions?

Tom #16

My car just stopped running the other day. Turns over but doesn't even try to start. There's +12 at the fuel pump when the key is on. I don't get any sparks from the spark plugs. The resistances in the coil look good. I'm going to check the distributor (even though it's almost new), and make sure there's battery voltage at the coil when the key is on. Could also be the DME itself (please no!).

Are there any common failures that might be the problem? Anything I'm missing?

Murphy's law has been going strong for me recently.

DME relay's can fail thus no power to computer. In early cars it is called a fuel pump relay.

The DME also controls the ignition timing and therefore the spark.

Also a DME could have failed. This rare, but does happen.

You have or probably will check this? I had trouble starting my car once warm. Then, it would start, run fine for 30 seconds then STOP, ca-put. Turned out the rotor was cracked and falling apart. But that might be an obvious?

Dylan.

Yep. check the relay. When the cars are stripped it's easy to kick/hit the fuse box and panel. Also, like Dylan said, pop the cover off the distributor and check that the rotor is tight. I had that failure.