My brother just finished the skip barber 3 day racing school

ekim952522000

And he wants to attend a hpde does he still have to start in hpde 1? I would think that since he did this school he should be able to go straight to 2 or 3?

Thanks

...... I just read on another forum that he could get his comp lincense is this true?

Have him contact the region he wants to do HPDEs with. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put in a higher "class" than HPDE 1, but it certainly can't hurt to get some additional seat time before racing.

Yeah he can get his comp lisence. I just went through skip and Im going into hpde 3, mostly because 1 and 2 are booked for the next event. but my region said 3 is fine as well as many other people. this will be my first hpde but sense im in the same boat I just thought I would chime in...

actually I just found out that the east coast and west coast are very different, if your on the west try 2 or 3 and on the east try 1 or 2. apparently on the east 3 is the highest and 4 is for instructors.

You're going to run into a few problems -

1) What kind of car did he use at Skip? Going from a light, purpose built race car to a sedan is a BIG difference.

2) NASA's passing rules are going to be different.

3) He probably hasn't see whatever track, and doesn't have the experience to gauge the track right now.

I would sign him up for 1 or 2 with the regional lead's approval. I'm sure he'll be up to speed in no time. FWIW, there isn't that much of a difference between 2 and 3. If 1s and 2s run together, 1 or 2 won't make a difference anyway. At any rate, he'll need an instructor to help with "track day decision making" on the track and to help learn the course.

You're going to run into a few problems -

1) What kind of car did he use at Skip? Going from a light, purpose built race car to a sedan is a BIG difference.

2) NASA's passing rules are going to be different.

3) He probably hasn't see whatever track, and doesn't have the experience to gauge the track right now.

I would sign him up for 1 or 2 with the regional lead's approval. I'm sure he'll be up to speed in no time. FWIW, there isn't that much of a difference between 2 and 3. If 1s and 2s run together, 1 or 2 won't make a difference anyway. At any rate, he'll need an instructor to help with "track day decision making" on the track and to help learn the course.

This is where we need to know the region. Here in the MA region 1/2/3/4 are all seperate, 1/2 are pretty much the same but 3 gets passing anywhere and 4 is instructors only. NOBODY that hasn't been on track at serveral different tracks, quite a bit prior should go into 3 after just a skip barber school. Like mentioned above you don't know the track and will take some time to get upto speed.

• 1 month later...

i remember talking with the Mid-Atlantic director, and I remember him saying that they dunt even take skip barber school into considerations of past expirence. You MIGHT be able to get away with 2 but most likelyyou will start at 1. I know Mid-Atlantic HPDE 3 there is no intructor in the car and then 4 is intructor.

And he wants to attend a hpde does he still have to start in hpde 1? I would think that since he did this school he should be able to go straight to 2 or 3?

Thanks

...... I just read on another forum that he could get his comp lincense is this true?

what is the motivation for wanting to skip 1? I don't get people who want to get rid of an instructor asap.

He could **try** for his comp license, but he won't get it unless he exhibits the right skills - taking one skip barber school doesn't necessarily mean he has them.

bruce

I have been doing HPDE type events for four years. I did my first HPDE with NASA this past year. I sent in a list of the events I had run, what tracks, where I was signed off to solo and refernces from folks in that region I had run with at other events. I was placed into HPDE 2 which was perfect as far as I was concerned. Sunday afternoon as I was going over my performance for the weekend with my instructor he stated that he thought I could move up to HPDE 3. I told him I prefered to stay in 2 for now. Several of the tracks I hope to run with NASA I have never run before so having an instructor on board is a good thing and if you move up to 3 and want an instructor you pay extra $$$! I just did my fourth event at one track last month and I have been approved to solo there since my first time. I still asked one of the senior instrctors to ride a session or two to observe my line and driving. I do not understand the rush to get into group 3. You will get the same amount of track time in 2, and an instructor which is never a bad thing!

• 3 months later...
I do not understand the rush to get into group 3. You will get the same amount of track time in 2, and an instructor which is never a bad thing!

For me, I just couldn't take anymore 2 hour morning meetings. You can only hear it so many times before it starts to remind you of a nagging wife. But seriously, you're correct about the same amount of track time, however if you notice, group 1 & 2 are always booked up leaving more open track room for group 3 & 4.

• Members

Sufice to say this....if you don't have time at the track you are going to and don't have much more than a racing school under your belt, you don't belong in the higher groups.

Take advantage of the instructors knowledge and input, build your speed safely and then go set the new course record. I did the Fast Lane school, the 4 day Barber school, the Jim Russell school, the 3 day Bondourant School and and have karted for years...I started in group #2 for the first day at a new track and it was the right move. By mid day I was moved into #3, but it took some polishing and work, not big balls.

There is nothing more humbling than thinking you are fast and then making a dumb move or stupid mistake because you made a foolish decission all in the name of what you thought was going to make up 10 seconds on one corner only to find yourself off track or, even worse, up side down.

Take advantage of the knowledge and experience at the track. If you are that fast, your lead will move you up. However, if you are that inexperienced, your lead will move you down, too.