HELMET QUESTIONS?!?

The Twanksta

I am attending the Sebring event next month. I have never raced on a track before nor attended any sanctioned event. I just had a couple questions about the helmet requirement.

I got my packet and it only says that I need a "DOT" approved helmet. It does not specify which type and I dont really have the money to buy a race helmet just yet. I was just wondering if I borrowed a buddies bike helmet, would it pass inspection? Or am I going to have to go out and buy a race helmet?

I plan to race alot more in the future, but Id like to buy a helmet of my own when I can afford a pretty nice one. if anyone could answer this question for me that would help ALOT! THANKS!

Rules are here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules.html

HPDE:

11.3 Required Safety Equipment - Driver

1. Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

NOTE: I believe the requirement is now 1995 or newer

NOTE2: While M rated is OK for HPDE, rules for Racing require SA rated, I believe.

So ... get an SA-rated helmet when you buy one.

By an SA05 helmet. I made the small mistake last year of buying a SA00 helmet at full price, granted this was before I knew about the SA05s being out. Not a big deal, my helmet is still useable and works just the same but for the money I paid I'd rather have the newest helmet available.

SA2005 is the best choice if you plan on racing later on.

I got G-Force Force 1 helmet, my brother just got the same helmet too.

I love it! It's not SA rated, just M2005 rated. SA helmet has Nomex layer in case of fire, M2005 doesn't, you can't race in M2005, but you can do HPDE.

For $140 it's a very good helmet. I have no issues with fogging or difficulty breathing in a hot weather, it's just fine.

Assuming your friend's helmet meets the date requirement, just borrow his for now. When you're ready to buy your own helmet (get a SA rated one as others have said), you can get a nice one for around $200. I bought the basic G-Force helmet and have been using it for a few years now. When that gets out dated, I'll buy the same one.

Don't get too caught-up in the more expensive helmets especially if doing HPDEs or sprint races. Now if you were doing really long enduros, maybe. Best of luck!

Good question...I am in the same predicament as twanksta but was contemplating on the HJC-CL15. It is a motorcycle helmet that exceeds M2005 & DOT standards and is inexpensive.

My question is…what are the cons on using a motorcycle helmet for HPDE events? Vision? Weight? Ventilation???

aben8057, unless you are looking for a MA helmet to use with your bike go ahead and buy what you like. If you are looking to purchase a helmet for HPDE and then move on up in Road Racing, look at getting a SA helmet. The money you spend on the MA helmet can be better placed with the purchase of an SA helmet.

The G-Force SA helmets as well as many other vendors are not all that expensive and rated for car drivers.

One thing to remember is that at pre-tech a NASA official will check your car and helmet. So if you us a helmet that is scratched up or show signs of damage, you may not be allowed to use it. Safety is very important and while you may not get into trouble on the track, things do happen.

Purchase a good SA helmet and take care of it and it will take care of you!

aben,

The difference is like vitoal... was basically saying. A M rated helmet in a fire could burn or melt. How often is a motorcycle exposed to fire for much time? An SA rated helmet will not burn or melt (at least not nearly as quickly as a M rated helmet would). For an HPDE event, this isn't as important as if a person starts getting involved in racing where fires happen more often (still not frequent, but it does happen). Do a search on the snell foundation to learn more about it...

Regarding the fire difference; in many cases it's just the difference of whether the lining is Nomex or not. In many helmet models that have both an M and an SA variant the Nomex lining is the only difference.

Not quite complete. The SA rated helmet has a fire retardent liner, chin strap, thicker shield (although most manufacturers us their thicker SA rated shield on their M helmet, they are not fr, just thicker), trim and paint. Check out http://www.opentrackaction.com under Safety Equipment for a more complete description.

Howard Bennett

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a chance try different helmets on. Different helmets fit differently. The Bell M2 and M3 are very popular. I use a G-Force Proforce1

get a full face helmet with a closing eye sheild. There will be sand, bugs, track turds ( Rubber from tires) flying in the drivers window.

Had a small bird fly though the car once too. Not too mention a big chunk of something bounced in my drives window and hit me in the chin gaurd.

If I was waring an open face helmet, might have cracked my jaw.

• 3 weeks later...

Buying from a local shop is a good way to get a helmet. You can get it fitted so that you're certain to get the proper size and shape of helmet. They're not all created equal size or shape-wise, and fit is important.

Buying from a local shop is a good way to get a helmet. You can get it fitted so that you're certain to get the proper size and shape of helmet. They're not all created equal size or shape-wise, and fit is important.

Tell me about, I thought I was a medium. turns out they had to special order me a small(it was 10 more dollars:lol:)

...buying locally is the only way to go. Try them on and get the one that fits.

Years ago I participated in a group purchase on helmets. Thought I could just measure and that would be that. Sent the first one back, definitely didn't fit.