Cage before running, is that smart?

PeanutinCA

Well..... I know it's silly to put the cage in before I even get the car running but, if I want any chance of at least making the Fontana event at the end of March and then hopefully the Buttonwillow event with NASA. Means I only miss 1 event with NASA but, I give up that vantage to you guys who get to drive the track (Fontana) for 2 days before the PCA/POC event at the end of the month. I better be a quick study then huh!!

Hope to see (race) you guys at the end of March.

Dylan.

But I meant silly if we were to find it's a write off in any way? It's like I'm painting the cart before I check the horse is still standing in the stall.

Dylan,

Put the cage in. If the motor is just pull it and get another one. The tub is still good.

Remember on these cars everythign can be replaced. If you bolt a cage in you can even transfer it. If you weld in a cage you pretty much stuck with that tub. You can always replace motor and suspension.

Just build it.

Hey that was my line Tim!!

Yes, I agree with Joe, which is why I went this way, doing the cage first. Figured it was the best use of time if I would try to run at Fontana at the end of March?

Hey if someone can head down to Hawthorne and do a valve/head job, do it! It needs 4 valves changed, although I have the set of 8 and the timimg belt done. Then it has been sitting for a while so will need some lubrication I would think? I was surprised to find though that the water that came out of it, was still vibrant bright green and there was still oil in the cam housing etc. I thought it may have dried up by now?

Cheers,

Dylan.

p.s. Everyone cross their fingers that nothing else needs to be done, what with my $11K plus of outstanding medical bills! Say, can I run on bicycle tires? Anyone out there have an old set of tires they are throwing away?

While it may not be of any help to you, as they're not the 225/50/15 RA-1's, you're welcome to them for nada if you like:

3 - 205/50/15 RA-1's , the missing 1 was run to the cords

4 - 225/50/15 Victoracers , very old and bald

I'm in Santa Monica if they are of any help.

Steve