PIR Race Report

944-Spec#94

Well Race report for PIR Feb 21,22

Saturday...

The paddock was really full with lots of DE cars and ASC/Pro Truck group. The 944-spec cars ran in group two with Spec Miata's and Spec Mini's. It turned out as a good group since all these cars turn similar lap times.

944-spec group consisted of

Joe P - 94

Tyler T - 03

Tom S - 15

Tom H -61

Steve S - 09

Jason B - 25

Glenn G - 44

Jason did not race this weekend, but did get a little DE seat time. Glenn was running BOTH his 944-spec and his 944 Turbo. Since we ran in two race groups he actually raced both the 951 and 944-spec in Saturday. He ran his spec car on Kumho's since his suppy of toyo's was gone.

Track was nice and cool, but a little warmer than the PCA weekend.

Qualifying went pretty well orders and 5-6 times were below track record (1:15.2)

Joe P = 1:13.629

Glenn G = 1:14.437

Tyler T = 1:14.528

Tom S = 1:14.623

Steve S = 1:15.066

Tom H = 1:15.979

The entire run group had some pretty close times with 944-specs in the top 5 spots. In the race I got a nice jump at the start and went in to turn 1 with 2-3 car length lead. Unfortunatly I relaxed and took it easy in turn 2 and Tom Stone promptly took advantage and went around and took the lead. I pull in right behind Tom and chased him to turn 9. Tyler when in for a pass and spun between us. This allowed Tom to gain a few car lengths going in to the banking. I chased and closed back up by Turn 7. This time going into 9 Tom took a defensive line and make slight error on the exit. I used this to pull up along side going into the oval. We went side by side with me on the inside. I stayed flat and I head Tom lift just a bit. I held my line and gained the edge by the exit of the oval. I started to pull a gap as Tyler gained on Tom and eventually passed him. The gap to Tyler was about 3-4 seconds for the next 15-20 laps until we reached lap traffic and the gap increased. Tom eventually had pull off into the pits when his year old tires just gave out.

Finishing order

Joe P Best lap 1:13.944

Tyler T Best Lap 1:13.822

Glenn G Best Lap 1:13.841

Steve S Best Lap 1:14:904

Tom H Best Lap 1:15.518

Tom S Best lap 1:15.031.

Again 5 of 6 under old track record with the new records set by Tyler at 1:13.822

Sunday

Tom S & Tom H both has commitments and missed sunday and Glenn decided to just race his 951. That cut the group to 3, but rain became the story of the day. First session out was dry, but a few sprinkles fell. Track was good with the cold air giving the cars lots of hp. Qualfying started dry, but by lap 2 the rain started. I managed to bang off one fast lap. Then got held up in traffic. I was on my 4 hot lap when I knew the rain would just make me slower. I figure it would be my last. I got into turn 9 a little too hot and spun. Not really sure if it was the driver error or the rain, but either was I packed it in. I ended up turning a 1:13.323. Tyler stayed out and eventually turn a 1:13.708. Steve was running new toyo's and turn a 1:17.293

Then the rain came harder. Lots of guys when home and the question was what to run for the 2:15 race time. Group 3 and 2 got combined and the ASC/Pro Truck guy packed-up and when home. By 1:45 I was trying to predict the weather. It had stopped raining and the track was dry enough for my fast treadless old toyo's. As I looked around I saw rain clouds in one direction and clearing skys in another. What to do. I gambled on rain and put on a fresh off the truck set of toyo's. If it rained I would be set. If it stayed dry I'd be hosed. As we went to grid it started to sprinkle and was thinking the rain was coming any moment. Due to a rain soaked group 3 qualfying session we sort of split start it. Group 2 was to be 150 yards back from group 3 with the same green. Unfortuanlty at 150 years back you can't see the flag and can't really tell if the main other guys when green. In the moment of indecision Tyler got the jump and gained 5-6 car lengths. We immediatly ran in to the back of the other field and started working through the traffic in the drying track. Tyler was able to put a few cars in between us and by the time I got through he had 5 second gap. I tried to run him down, but my new tires failed me. The rain never came and sun came out to dry to the track. I was stuck on brand new toyo's with tire pressure lowered for the rain. Tyler had new tires too, but since he was borrowing Jason B's tires they had been scrubbed in for a few sessions in past two days. He did not pull away strongly, but enough. Then I got into a battle win a corvette. Very slow in the corners, but fast on the staights. I promplt when from 1:16 laps to 1:17's and 1:18 stuck behind the vette. About all I could do at this point was hold to 2nd place in class to the finish.

So results were.

Tyler T best lap of 1:14.869

Joe P best lap of 1:15.906

Steve S best lap of 1:14.912

Wow, quite adverse conditions...........lots of racing decisions to make. Wish I could have been there to mix it up with you guys.

Fast lap times too,huh?

Congrats to Tyler for a track record.

Joe,

Nice writeup on the race. It was my first time racing on P.I.R. this weekend. The track is an excellent course and provides great action and close racing. I was obviously thrilled to set the lap record my first time out. What a difference an LSD makes. Looking forward to Fontana in 2 weeks time. I've never run at California Speedway, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully Jason can get all of the kinks worked out of his car by then. I was kind of perplexed by the mass exodus from the track when the rain came. The track was not exceptionally slippery. I was dissappointed more people didn't hang out for the race on Sunday. Good fun weekend.

-Tyler

Yeah an LSD would be nice. I was saving up for one a year ago. Then went to AMP and I found I did not need one there. So did not worry. Willow was the same. No need for the LSD. Now back at PIR again and Modulate, Modulate in Turn 7 and turn 3,4,5 area. Anyway still fun.

Rain is quite interesting. When we went out the track was actually quite dry. Dry line with water off line. Not to bad and unfortunatly not the conditions for our tires. We needed the rain like yesterday to do really well. Even so it was a good weekend. No bent sheet metal and the car in 1 piece! Always good when you can say that!