New here - MINI fun

katmeho

Hey everyone,

new to NASA, looks like a good community. Looking to get involved in the HPDE's with my JCW MINI in NorCal. Not new to the track, I hold a SCCA regional license, raced Formula Mazda and usually drive in "C" HPDE days...what run group should I asked to be placed in for my first NASA HPDE? My MINI is not race prepped, its my daily driver.

Anything tricky about HPDE requirements? I saw something about long sleeves and a few other items that I question in terms of value, but I can play by the rules...just looking to not get caught out at my first event with NASA.

Any other MINI's out there looking for fun?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I've seen a few Mini S models on the track at Summit Point that surprised a few drivers. Given your experience, I would bring your driver logbook and sign-up for HPDE 2 with an instructor to get a good overview of NASA rules, procedures, etc.. Chances are you would be signed-off for solo and moved up to Group 3 that same weekend or at the next event given your SCCA racing experience. You'll need an SA2000 approved helmet, along with long sleeve shirt, etc. You'll enjoy NASA - a great organization!

katmeho,

Just saw your post.

Welcome to the NASA family!

I've been with NASA since I got my MINI S (new) four years ago and attend every event.

NASA has a terrific program.

Lets see, there are two other MINIs that run in group 2 and 3, and an instructor with a JCW.

I'm running in group 4 now.

As far as run group to sign up for?

Given your background - group 3.

Plus, you'll love the racing events and environment.

Go to the NASA Nor Cal website:

http://www.nasanorcal.com/NorCalOfficials/HPDE_Staffing.htm

There you will see the officials with email/phone numbers to contact.

Hope to see you at the track soon.

Mickey

I've had my MINI for a few years. I have not been to a HPDE with it yet. I'm certainly a rookie though. Right now looking at running in the SM class. Any of you kids on NAM? There is lots of info there about tuning your MINI etc

• 1 month later...