Additional Nitto NT-01 Sizes

GAC

Some of you guys have asked me about this, and below are the sizes planned by Q1, 2007. These are in addition to the sizes already offered.

255/40R17

215/45R17

315/35R17

225/45R15

Based on what I heard about the new Nittos at Nationals I'm really interested in trying them next season.

Can anyone who has run these tires for a couple of events give us some information - ie, time comparisons with other R-comps, # of heat cycles/events they are lasting, etc.

I appreciate Nitto stepping up for us TT drivers!

Thanks,

- Mark

Based on what I heard about the new Nittos at Nationals I'm really interested in trying them next season.

Can anyone who has run these tires for a couple of events give us some information - ie, time comparisons with other R-comps, # of heat cycles/events they are lasting, etc.

I appreciate Nitto stepping up for us TT drivers!

Thanks,

- Mark

Mark,

I don't know if I'm the be all and end all, but I am the guy who probably has the most time on these tires, as Nitto sponsored me for this season, and we recently won the Championship in TTF on the NT-01, 205/50R15.

They are similar to the Toyo in many ways, and better for others. Some points to note:

--They start out at 6/32, so there is less tread squirm straight off the bat.

--The tread blocks are much larger than the Toyo, especially the outer blocks.

--When shaved to 3/32 they become a slick with 2 circumferential grooves.

--You WILL cord them long before they run out of heat cycles.

--We've gotten up to 9 hours on track out of a set. This is on a front-drive car, and the tires are rotated regularly.

--They are asymetrical but not directional, however, we have run them inside out without issue.

--They do like an initial heat cycle on them with consequent relaxing before competition.

I've driven with them on track at both Cal Speedway and Mid-Ohio in the rain and they aren't quite as good as the Toyo, but are somewhat manageable.

If anyone else has any other questions, feel free to get in touch with me directly.

Thanks for the info, so far it sounds great.

Just a couple more questions, these are the hard ones of course....kind of subjective I know....

1) Is the tire consistently fast or is it like a Toyo RA1 where there is some variance (consistent and long lasting but slow if not shaved; faster if shaved to 1/32" or 2/32")?

2) What I heard at Nationals was that the Nittos were "faster than an RA1 but not as fast as a V710". Does that fit with your impression of the tires?

Once again, I know we're getting into the "opinion" area so I won't hold you to anything, just want to get more info before I invest and do my own testing.

- Mark

Thanks for the info, so far it sounds great.

Just a couple more questions, these are the hard ones of course....kind of subjective I know....

1) Is the tire consistently fast or is it like a Toyo RA1 where there is some variance (consistent and long lasting but slow if not shaved; faster if shaved to 1/32" or 2/32")?

2) What I heard at Nationals was that the Nittos were "faster than an RA1 but not as fast as a V710". Does that fit with your impression of the tires?

Once again, I know we're getting into the "opinion" area so I won't hold you to anything, just want to get more info before I invest and do my own testing.

- Mark

The Nitto will likely not be as fast from the factory as a V710 or a Hoosier, but heat cycle it and shave it to 3/32 and it may be pretty close. I've never shaved 'em as of yet, so I have no firsthand experience.

I find them to be as fast if not faster as they wear away, but there may still be some speed left in them if you start out shaved rather than get there by wearing them down. A tire theoretically should be its fastest during its first heat cycle, so if you minimize the tread squirm right off the bat, and reduce rotational mass as well, that should get them to their A game, right away.

Does that help?

Yes that helps.....

But just to clarify, if used in unshaven but properly heat cycled format - you feel they are faster than RA1's?

Typically I've been using RA1's which weren't the fastest but I could get through a whole set on a season. For Nationals this year, I picked up some used V710's which were faster than the RA1's. I really liked the V710's and have no complaints except, well, I don't think I could afford them for a whole season.

For next year - I'm strongly leaning toward trying the 205/55/14 Nitto's. If they slot somewhere between RA1's and V710's in terms of longevity and speed they could be perfect for what I'm trying to do.

- Mark

If they slot somewhere between RA1's and V710's in terms of longevity and speed they could be perfect for what I'm trying to do.

- Mark

I'd say they will slot in there. Remember 6/32 means faster but less rubber to start with, so they likely won't last quite as long, but will outlast a V710 easily.

About time someone starts making a 315/17 Thank you Nitto!

It will be hard to give up my 710's and the 40 sessions I get from them. But the 2 points I get back with the Nitto's will make it worth it.

Any idea's on price's for the new size's?

They were about 1/2 second quicker then new toyo RA1's for me.

Liked same pressure and camber.

Wear was quicker though.

25 sessions (20-30 minutes each) and about 4,000 miles on hwy and they were totally down to 1-2/32's.

RA1's lastd about 35 sessions and 6,000 miles till that level.

Nitto's were also never anything but scary in the rain.

Great tire though and I liked them alot.

They are consistantly about 2 seconds slower then hoosiers on 90 second course.

that works for the front of the car, but I need something bigger to keep the heavy end of the car in check (ie 225/50/14).

stock spring rates, wheels, etc are setup to run with 10-20mm more rear tire which limits out alot of tires and such.

and if I've got a gerbil, those Miatas must run on field mice

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love these tires. We tested two sets for a Evo and STI. I currently run a 245/40/18 and am waiting to switch to the 255/40/ on the sti.

We did a couple reviews with discussions here. Severl of the people in the discussion have raced on all the various competition to these.

http://features.evolutionm.net/article/projectevo/69

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=213626

i'm not doing anything until pts for '07 come out. Over on the PT forum, Greg said pts will be tweaked.

We should know more in Nov.

Maybe treaded tires will be enough pts lower, that Hoosiers/V710's aren't semi-required...

It'll be interesting to see these tweaks for sure

I've looked into upgrading to 15"s if nessecary for next year so I can give these tires a shot