Rollcage Kits

FBody383

I'm trying to identify potential pre-bent, weld in cage suppliers. I am not affiliated with these guys, just trying to get some feedback.

Does anybody have any experience with Autoweld? Here is their website: http://web.inetba.com/autoweld/index2.ivnu

When I emailed them about experience with a NASA compliant cage they said they had done some.

When I was "cage shopping" for my AI car the trouble I found with most placed that sold "kits" was that they didn't have the right wall thickness. Most of these places built NHRA cages for drag cars and they didn't match up with the NASA CCR.

They all said they COULD do it... but it meant them ordering in "non-stock" tube and a custom bend job... which ended up raising the price so much it was better to just have the work done locally at a REAL custom shop.

I'm trying to identify potential pre-bent, weld in cage suppliers. I am not affiliated with these guys, just trying to get some feedback.

Does anybody have any experience with Autoweld? Here is their website: http://web.inetba.com/autoweld/index2.ivnu

When I emailed them about experience with a NASA compliant cage they said they had done some.

Don't you mean "AUTO POWER" IO PORT Racing sells their Cages (pre bent) got mine through them. If I had to do it again I would have welded in a custom cage. But it works great just a little tight. http://www.ioportracing.com/

Kits for cages tend to not be as nice as proper custom cages.

Kit cages have the following drawbacks.

1) less interior space

Most of these cages can't be bent close to the body since they need to fit lots cars sight unseen. A custom cage can be built with bars fractions of an inch from the body. Result is in every 944 I have driven/sat in bolt in "kit" cages always make me feel clustraphobic with the bars being so close. My custom cage is spacious.

2) compromised mounting points

Nearly all kit cages have some compromise in thier mounting points. Bolt in cages are the worst since you need through sheet metal. Now that may not really make the cage "unsafe", but most of these will have mounts where you think" I really wished it was mounted 1" that way or on that spot where the suspension attaches. "

3) Resale value

A really nice custom cage will get you a few more $$$ back at resale. While a kit cage may be ok for some guys on resale market nearly everyone will love a nice custom cage.

In the end you can get kit cages that work just fine and the difference really comes down to presonal preference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is alot to be said for the custom cage. The extra room afforded by having the bars as far away from the driver as possible is priceless.

I honestly think that if you put value on your time, there is maybe a few hundred dollars difference between buying a kit and having a custom cage built.

The materials I purchased for my 8 point were close to 900$ then it took 60-80 hours for me to install it. Even if I was willing to work for 20$/hour, that would be 1200-1600$ totalling 2100-2500$.

If you are hell bent on doing the cage your self, it helps to get the main hoop and A-pillar runners pre-bent at minimum. There are cage builders that will sell you everything notched, bent and ready to install. You just have to do the welding. I have no experience with these type kits.

I too have been looking at Autoweld. With the right tubing, door bars, etc, they claim their kit will fit for under $400!. Problem is, I am doubtfull all of the notches and cuts will fit as well as they promise.

Would also love to hear from someone with firsthand experience. I can weld fine, and don't mind putting labor in, but notching cleanly is hard to do without the correct tools.