Towing Miata with a van

Robert

I have a van and a Miata. There is a guy who tows his Miata hooking it up directly to his van instead of trailering it. I'd like to know how to do that as I just got a van and I have a miata. if you are this person or know of this person please contact me as I'd like to do the same thing.

[email protected]

I have a van and a Miata. There is a guy who tows his Miata hooking it up directly to his van instead of trailering it. I'd like to know how to do that as I just got a van and I have a miata. if you are this person or know of this person please contact me as I'd like to do the same thing.

[email protected]

use a tow dolly or get one of those rigs RV's use to to a car behind

• 3 weeks later...

That's not very hard. Just remember you're putting wear on all the rolling bits when you do this - bearings, shocks, tires, hubs, drive shaft, etc.

Your van needs a proper hitch and wiring setup.

Then you need a tow bar mounted to your front bumper or appropriate spot on your miata

http://www.etrailer.com/p-2480.htm

And to either wire your van into your miata's electrical or a set of towing lights

http://www.etrailer.com/p-C-ATL20A.htm

I bought my tow bar locally from Uhaul for about $160, I bought my light bar from harbor freight for $19. Shop around.

One side note, most states require a vehicle that rolls on the road to be registered/insured/legal (think smog). They might not go as far as the latter, but they could.

I have flat towed my Pro7 a few times, I was never comfortable with it for that reason.

Best of luck,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Its only about 900-1500$ for an open trailer. you can buy new units for 1800-2200$. It really is best to tow your car on a trailer. If you ever had a major failure of some sort you may not be able to flat tow it home. I would hope at minimum you have an extra set of wheels/tires as I wouldnt want to drag my track tires over the highway.