Rules on Battery Relocation on RX7 - Optima Red Top

alberto_mg

Is the Optima Red Top considered a Dry Cell Battery? Does it need to be boxed?

I was under the impression that it was and didn't need to be in a battery box, but on the manufactuers site and it doesn't specifically mention it. http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive.html

I'm in the process of relocating mine to the trunk or under the bins (i.e. covered in interior plastics) and wanted to verify before I went through all the trouble.

Thanks.

Same battery and same car in my case. Make sure it is mounted securely. Mine wasn't at first, so I had to change it. You don't need a box, but you do have to have the posts covered.

Hmmm. Original owner of my FD is from Indy. His name is Manny runs with the BMW and Porsche clubs a lot in a black M3/4door now. I think he instructs also.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Ike.

What party of the country do you run in?

Which region are you in alberto_mg? I run a '93 in Mid-Atlantic. I don't have a relocated battery, but used a slim battery in the stock location with a TurboJeff tray.

I don't yet, but will be running out in California - probably mostly So Cal since I'm in San Diego.

Due to mods/upgrades I can no longer fit a battery in the engine bay other than one of those PC680 batteries that don't seem to last in my car.

No subs or amps in the engine bay, Ike.

Trunk is reserved for my air suspension equiptment (um, not!) so I can pimp my ride cruizin with my posse boucin up high (or some other non-sensical gibberish).

Big ole intercooler takes up too much space to fit a battery...

using a PC-680 in your car in the stock location is really the way to go..

do you know why they aren't working??? or remaining reliable???

may be some little problem..

• 3 weeks later...

They keep dying on me b/c I don't drive the car regularly and the battery is barely sufficient to start the RX7. In cold east coast winter weather, I could only go 4 days max before the battery was no longer able to crank the car over. In warm weather, I didn't have many problems. Electrical system checks out fine with no draws.

I relocated the Optima Red Top and no longer have any starting issues.

Its also nice to have a battery that can be replaced from any auto parts stored locally as opposed to the PC680 which I had to mail order each time it went dead. Always at the worst moments too...

Manny has driven me around IRP in your (his) car before. Nice ride.

On your battery, I've noticed the terminals are slightly smaller than my Ford Motorcraft battery. Make sure your leads tighten down all the way, yours may be loose.