what do u think? (first rally car)

CK_AZ

ok here's what's up right now i have a 2000 corolla ce as my daily driver but i plan on buying a jeep cherokee in a couple years and was thinking of using my corolla to get started in rally i planed on essentially just doing a rebuild on the engine and also swaping it from an automatic transmission to manual (using my friend's garage and lift) so i just wanted to get some toher opinions on whether or not this would be a good way to go or what

I could be wrong, but I'd bet that a Corolla doesn't have the kind of aftermarket support you need for rally. Not to mention no one races them for a reason. Corollas weren't made with racing in mind, and you would be fighting that fact the entire time you're building the car. Certain things like suspension setup, driveline, and chassis stiffness are generally better in sporty cars than grocery getters. Not to mention, doing a manual swap will have you losing money on something that isn't really improving the car as much as it is making it driveable. When you want to get started, sell your Corolla and buy something used and cheap to start out with. If you want AWD, an older Subie would do well, for 2WD your options are pretty open. Think cheap and huge aftermarket. Rally is very expensive, so make sure you have the funds to replace your car when you total it.