One HPDE day...

Goldfish

I would like to do my first HPDE, and might only be able to do one day. Does it matter if I were to only come on Sunday, or for my first one is it better to come on Saturday, or does it not matter? My thinking is that Sunday may build on learning from Saturday like it did in the 2-day BMW track school. I'm in Norcal region if that makes a difference.

Thx for help...

If it your first track day I suggest Saturday. I am not sure how it works in your area, but most events will have the classroom seession only on Saturday. Classroom is really nice to understand a little more about what you want do on track. Also the speeds in HPDE1 on Sunday tend to be bit fast since most folks already have 1 day on track under their belt. This is not to say sunday is a freefor all, but usally the first HPDE1 seesion on Saturday is REALLY slow as 95% of the students are simply tring to find the track. Speeds progress as the day goes on as the driver get more comfortable. Sunday's pace is faster, but still very much in line with HPDE1 skill levels. If you have never been to the track before the pace may seem a little quick so again Saturday is general better.

For HPDE2 and above doing sunday may be better than Saturday since often times there is less traffic on Sunday due to fewer cars. That maybe very region and track dependant however.

Im doing my first HPDE on sunday at sebring. I wanted saturday but it was all full by the time I could register. Oh well. is the "drivers meeting" the same thing as a class? If so, there is one both days...for me anyway.

im sure I will do fine regardless, I CANT WAIT! Week and half left!

Not sure, best to contact the region and find out. The driver's meeting is not the class room time and most of the time I have not seen classroom on Sunday. However due to HPDE1 being full on Saturday their may be a classroom on Sunday too. Like I said best to contact the region directy.

The meeting is a mandatory meeting to go over the rules, enter, exit, and to learn the flags. After each run, you are to go back to the same room for the download session and get your next sticker to go out again

yeah i just talked to the regional director, and she told me there are classes both days(both days are identical) and its fine if you only register for sunday.

On top of going to the HPDE event feel free to contact your local NASA office and ask for a mentor. I line up drivers with well versed drivers all the time and it's a major help to the novice. It also often gives you a place to hang your helmet for the day with a teams pit and makes you feel more at home and you can learn a wealth of good stuff.

Gary Faules #44

NASA Mentor Director

California's Best

Just FYI, because I get this question every once in a while...In the Mid Atlantic region we only offer 2 day HPDEs. We have classroom sessions on both days. Sunday builds on Saturday.

• Members

I can tell you this from experience, the advise you have been given is something you should take to heart. If you will be doing more and more of the HPDE days (trust me, you will), start out with a good foundation and forget what you think you know. Learn it the right way and be patient.

The learning curve goes up quickly, and then it flattens out. When you start out, you will pick up seconds from one session to the next. As you get faster, you will pray for those kinds of leaps and bounds as you will have to maintain intense focus to pick up just a 1/4 a second on some days.

Also remember that what they are teaching you (and the NASA instructors are great at this!) is how to get up to speed quickly, but safely. At the end of the day, that is the name of the game...to be able to drive home and remember a great day. Not to ride shotgun in a tow truck that you will pay a fortune for.

Lastly, check the HPDE posting...someone is selling a gift certificate to a NORCAL NASA event for $120!

Good Luck and have a blast!

Steven Stepanian

On top of going to the HPDE event feel free to contact your local NASA office and ask for a mentor. I line up drivers with well versed drivers all the time and it's a major help to the novice. It also often gives you a place to hang your helmet for the day with a teams pit and makes you feel more at home and you can learn a wealth of good stuff.

Gary Faules #44

NASA Mentor Director

California's Best

Thanks for the great advice guys. I did try to buy that gift cert but the guy had already sold it!

Gary, I had not heard of the Mentor Program, so I would like to learn more about it - is that a kind of program where you stay with a certain instructor through multiple DEs? Does that cost extra by the event / season? I will poke around on the site to try and learn more as well, appreciate your advice.