Do you have to be a seasoned mechanic to start w/ NASA ???

wolke9

Hello

I'm looking to start racing soon and from what I have been reading, the spec miata class seems the way to go just starting out. I've also read that the areas to spend your $$ on first are brake pads, brake fluid/lines, helmet, harness, roll cage, etc. . .

My question is whether all of this can be done by the average "shade tree" mechanic or if you should have someone do them for you (obviously cost prohibitive). Tools aren't a problem and I already have a jack and jackstands. I don't have alot of $$ starting out and don't want to screw anything up (especially the brakes ) but once I see it done, I could probably do it my self.

Are there usually meets/gatherings in a specific region where people are shown how to change out the calipers/pistons/brakepads/fluid or is it something that is just known how to do. I can't say that I know too many people in my area that are into NASA style racing and want to get involved without breaking the bank or my car the 1st lap. . .any thoughts or comments??

Great question! I was just talking to someone this morning about this very topic. Learning to race is a lot more than going to the track, getting into a car and stepping on the gas.

There is no better way to learn than jumping right in. Sure there may be times that the help of a professional or more experienced wrench may be required but you will never learn if you don't start getting your hands dirty. Not only will you be able to learn a lot but in fact it will help you become a better driver as you become more intimate with the workings of a car. As soon as one of your control arms come loose you will "feel it" and know exactly what's wrong with the car. You will learn a lot because in reality simply tightening up a bolt is something that a good mechanic "learns to have a feel for".

Another nice thing about building a car in a NASA class is that there is usually a lot of people around who have "been there done that" that will be more than happy to help you learn. Two rules of thumb are (1) Do not be afraid to ask questions which requires throwing "Macho Man thinking" out the window. (2) Do not cut corners on safety related items.

Often I am asked how I became a good mechanic.. my reply is usually, "By breaking a lot of bolts."

Good luck and welcome to a great hobby.

I built my 944 spec car in my backyard. The only thing I farmed out to shop was the custom cage. Everything else was done at home including and engine rebuilt. This is the first car I have done any serious work on.

Nasa does not sponsor any "mechanic" type events, but best to hook up with guys with similar car and ask for help. 944 spec guys are always very helpful in getting low budget guys off and racing.

If you do not want to wrench on the car at all you just take the car to a shop for the work. It all depends on what you want to do.

You absolutely do NOT need to be a mechanic to start racing! It sounds like you're starting about about where I was mechanically wise, probably ahead of me. When I started, the idea of changing brake fluid was beyond me. Since you're on a limited budget (as we all are one way or another), it will be very, very useful for you to work on your own car. Beyond the cost savings (which is huge), having this knowledge is also useful when (not if) stuff happens at the track.

The roll cage needs to be done by a professional. There are bolt-in cages, but I personally do not recommend them from a safty standpoint. You could buy a pre-fabbed weld-in cage. But if you really want to save money and make the process easier, buy a built car!!! It will save you a lot of money and time.

Take a field trip... Goto Home Depot or Lowes, and go up and down each isle. When doing this, look at the products they have there. When working on your car, be creative with how you can do things. Some examples: I use the repair window metal netting/fabric to protect my radiator infront of the "stock air" dam. For brake ducting collectors, I went down to the PVC isle. Tool to change brake fluid, an empty 12 or 16 oz water (or other favorite drink), 18" of tubing, and wire.

Miatas are a good choice, but so are other cars such as Honda Challenge (H4 has many great options).

Oh, me the guy who couldn't do very much work on the car - now I'll do pretty much everything but building an engine / tranny. You'll meet many people in your area who will help ya out if you need it. Best of luck!!!

Edited by Guest

I made my brake ducts from 3" stove vent hoses. One 3 foot section makes 2 ducts. I installed with hose clamps. I also make custom window pulls. Now I can raise/lower my windows without the motor. Saves some weight, but importantly one less thing to break.

All parts source from the local hardware store.

I'll agree that the roll cage needs to be done by a professional. See where others with similar cars get their's done, that's your starting point.

Brakes are easy and the only time when I send any brake work out is to have a rotor turned. Usually if your at the track and want help all you need to do is ask. The majroity of the people there are more than willing to lend a hand. Going to the track is not all about racing, good friendships and camaraderie make up the rest.2qlcvh1.gif