Anyone else uses a HANS in TT?

Mr PS

Just wondering. Assuming of course the car has race harness/seat, roll cage/bar.

I always thought it might be a little too much for TT but one should never complain about enchancing safety.

• Members
Just wondering. Assuming of course the car has race harness/seat, roll cage/bar.

I always thought it might be a little too much for TT but one should never complain about enchancing safety.

if I could afford one, id have one, even in TT.

I hear ya. I saved up for that for the last 9 months. Finally ordered one.

Apexperformance.net is having a free shipping + anchor install. I have a coupon for further 10% off if anyone is interested.

I use an Isaac Link system. Basically, the full-blown Isaac system is comparable to a HANS type device and also costs like $1k. The Link is their more budget-oriented system, costing only like $300. The Link can be later upgraded to the full-blown model if desired.

Isaac's web site:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/

For time trials - I really think everyone should look into head/neck restraints and get something they are comfortable with. We might not be "racing" out there, but we are still competing against the clock which means we are pushing harder and harder.

Look at Nationals - a couple hard hit single car accidents, also one car into a tire wall because oil possibly dropped on the track. So, you can't say it doesn't happen....

- Mark

I use a HANS for the same reason that Falcon does ..........In addition I have 3 small children I haven't paid for yet.

My TT car has a full cage, FIA seat , I use an expensive helmet,driving suit ,gloves and HANS.......and I sincerely hope I never have to use any of it.

Safety equipment can be expensive,but if you only have to use it once it will be a true bargin.

• Members
I also use a HANS. I'm a strong proponent of its use. It's a pretty simple way to increase safety.

I dont think the issue is anyone being against using a Hans. The issue seems to me the cost. It it were half of what is is now ($800) it would still be an expensive item for most low budget racers. (Which we ALL are or we wouldnt be doing TT, right?)

I think its a good safety item to have, definately. Just cost prohibitive for me at this point. I use a cheap neck collar. Its better than nothing. Meh.

Shawn - go back and look at my post about the Isaac Link intro system for $300. Less than half and way better than nothing.

By the way, I think it was Isaac even or one of the vendors had some research indicating the foam collars do nothing or can actually cause a little harm. I can try to find the study or quote I'd seen if you'd like.

- Mark

How would a collar prevent extension of the neck and thus basilar skull fractures and/or arterial transections? Not trying to be a dick about it, but I strongly believe that you're relying on a safety net that isn't there in reality. I enjoy heated driving on great road courses...but I also believe I have a future that I don't want to miss out on!

An Isaac Link is damn cheap all things considered. Don't think of it as allowing room in your budget for a piece of equipment, but as allowing room for you health in the event of the worst. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

How would a collar prevent extension of the neck and thus basilar skull fractures and/or arterial transections?

The collar basically acts as a buffer to absorb energy, when the helmet is thrown in a forward (or sideway) direction. Probably not as well as HANs or similar devices.

The question rather is how well and how much energy can the foam absorb? Not to mention, foam quality tends to deterioate over time as well. I am not sure if FIA or SFI or any other organizations actually did a study on this. Would have been interesting.

I could be wrong, but it seems as though in the cases of serious injury/fatality the concern is with the extension of the neck, in which case a collar would not help at all. Even so, it seems as though you could apply a similar rule to collars as you would roll bar padding; if you can easily compress it with your fingers, it's going to be of little use in the realm of forces generated in a crash.

If you are using a 5/6 point harness a Hans or similar should be mandatory. If you are using a stock OE belt the driving force for the Hans isn't there.

One thing that we are forgetting here is that what ever we do it needs to be CCR legal.

Greg had a post on another topic were he stated that all roll cages must be CCR legal. I would assume that this would cover all safety equipment. I have not seen the rule enforced in TT or HPDE regionally or nationally.