Hans compatiable Seats

Fujiwara

While preparing for the upcoming NASA TT season, it is time to replace the 13 year old racing seats. I have budgeted for the HANS device, but do I need a seat designed specifically for the HANS device?

There seems to be 4 to 5 main choices.

1. Racetech RT 9109HR:

- FIA Homologated

- HANS compatiable

- 8.3 lbs/ 3.6 kg

- $4,995.00 USD per seat (Way out of Budget!)

- http://www.racetechseatsna.com/race_seats/RT9109HR.html

2. Sparco Circuit Pro

- FIA Homologated

- HANS compatiable

- 25.0 lbs

- $849.00 USD per seat

- http://www.sparcoracing.com/product.php?productid=289&cat=20&page=1

3. OMP HA/684

- FIA Homologated

- Not specifically noted as HANS compatiable

- 10.1 kg

- Price Unknown

- http://www.ompracing.it/detail.html?productcode=HA/684

4. Recaro Pro Racer HANS SPA

- Not specifically mentioned as FIA homolagated

- HANS compatiable

- unlisted weight

- Price Unknown

- http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=2041&region=3&L=2

5. Bride Maxis III/ GardisIII

- FIA homolagated

- Not specifically noted as HANS compatiable

- unlisted weight

- Price Unknown

I think the main issue is how the belts come off your shoulders, through the seat holes and down to the cross bar attachment. You want to maintain the Hans recommended angle, and not have the seat holes deviate the course of the straps if possible. So, it is somewhat dependent on how tall you are and where your shoulders are relative to the seat holes.

cheers,

bruce

I do agree that the seat offered by Racetech is best of the group. After importing the car to the United States, I will not have enough money to purchase these seats. Too many saftey equipment needed to purchase.

The Racetech RT 4009 is a nice seat and is very similar to the Bride seats installed in the car from its JGTC days.

I am looking for a little more head support, more in the lateral direction. I am 90% sure purchase the Sparco seats.

Any more feedback on seats and HANS devices? Also where I can make purchase of HANS device. I have only found very expensive.

Many thank-you

Mr. Fujiwara

• 1 month later...

I have my eye on the Sparco. Simply put any of these seats are going to be much better than OEM or 14 year old seats.

Buy the 5K seat when some sugar dadd... er sponsor offers to put one in.

There are many considerations for the purchase of a racing seat. Money is certainly one of them but let’s look at some of the physical attributes fist.

Torso lateral support/restraint is important for three reasons. Comfort, reduced fatigue and safety. All of the seats appear to have sufficient lateral support for ones torso. This is important for use with the HANS Device as it helps to keep the HANS Device securely under the shoulder straps in the event of a side impact. The OMP/Pista HA/684 seems to have the best support as the side supports extend out far enough to not only give excellent lateral support but also not dig into your ribcage.

Head lateral restraint for safety. I personally like the design of the OMP/Pista HA/684.

It has a clever design that seems to not only give excellent lateral restraint but seems to allow increased peripheral vision over the other seats.

Thigh support. Again the OMP/Pista HA/684 seems to have the best design here.

Bruce has it nailed for the Safety Harness shoulder strap pass-throughs. You will have to sit in each seat to know which one best suits your shoulder height.

Overall comfort. You have to sit in each one and for an extended period of time to know which one is most comfortable for your body.

I have to say that I had never herd of the Pista seat but when the new car is finished I am going to look into one. It would be interesting to know how much one costs. Having said that the Sparko gives a lot of bang for the buck.

At $4,995.00 for the Racetech I don’t see what the extra money gets you. At $910.00 for the OMP/Pista FG I’d say it has the best design features and is the new bang for the buck leader.

The Racetech for 5K is the lightest seat ever, you can get the same one call the Viper seat for 1995 and it is certified at 45g side impact.

Or you may go for the 4009HR for $995

so don't think that Racetech is only 5k

Benny

found a cheaper price for the OMP Pista FG $625 at http://www.cp-racing.com/ which is local to me (Denver) so I'll have to go try it on.

cheers,

bruce

http://www.motorspot.com/seats.html

shows the OMP Pista in FG at $910 and the CF one at $2400

Interesting seat.

The other thing that they do with a "hans compatible" seat is sculpt it out more behind the head - this will help with any of the H&NR designs.

cheers,

bruce

The Racetech is by far the best of the group. I have been using the 4009 for 3 years know and won't race without one in the car.

i have sat in 3 or 4 different models of racetech seats, and was extremely uncomfortable. They were about as comfy and good fitting as a cheap sparco. Also the belts were not anything to write home about either.

I sat in a lot of seats before i bought one including a few Momo, sparco corsa, sparco Evo, and Kirkey. None were that comfertable and the momo's and sparco's were badely fadded after only being a year old.

I ended up going with the recaro SPG, really wish i would have gone with the Hans seat though. The seat was REALLY REALLY comfy, teh quality of recaro is top notch, and the material on older seats wasn't faded