Lap Times in HPDE4

pcr911@earthlink.net

For financial reasons, I'm going to step back from racing for awhile, although I still want to do DE events. I'm planning to run in HPDE4. Since my car has a transponder, will I be able to get my lap times either at the track or at the AMD site (mylaps.com) or will I have to sign up for TT get my times posted??

The car is not street legal, so insurance is not an issue.

Where I'll save money, and maybe save is not the proper term, is that I can do the upgrades to the car over a longer period of time and also work on my driving. I noticed that most of the guys running in GTS were running a new set of tires every race weekend. Even after I make all the changes to the car, I'm not sure I can manage that big a tire budget.

I was happy with the car and myself when I lived in Orlando and drove the car at Sebring, Roebling Road, Daytona, etc. Now that I have moved to Ohio, I was not at all impressed with either at Mid-Ohio. The car is fine on tracks that are flat, but with all the hills and stuff up here, it's showing the weakness of 30+ year old suspension technology.

So stepping back for a year or so will give me a chance to do the upgrades as I can afford them, and also to learn the tracks up here in a non-competitive format. I want the lap times so I can see if something I change in my driving or on the car is making a difference on the stop watch. I'm also considering investing in one of the GPS based data collection systems.

I'll just have to see where things go, if I have to sign up for TT to get my lap times, I'm willing to do that.

My comment was based on the fact that HPDE costs 295$ and the expense of getting to the track and having a car that is ready to go is the same, so why not register for a race and pay 245$ ?

Why on earth would you need new tires every race? Some of the guys in my series run a set of tires all year. Others maybe 2-3 sets all year.

If you think that your car doesnt perform well at Mid-Ohio because its 30 years old....Hell, my car is based on 30-40 year old technology as well and its only 17 and 20 years old.

The GPS and similar Data Aquisition systems are only as benefitial as the ability of the user to compile and interpret the data. I have recently heard stories from a couple guys where one uses DAQ and the other just has years and years of experience. Racer A gave Racer B some advice of what to change based on seeing him on track in the same sessions. Racer B disregarded the advice and stared at his data. Again at a later date Racer A gave the same advice and the frustrated Racer B listened finally. Racer B this time went back to his data to try to find a pattern that would suport Racer A's claim. He did. Sadly he was dissapointed that he didnt find this much sooner as he had wasted time and money making needless changes. He went nearly 2 seconds faster.

Dont be Racer B. Listen to the guys with 10, 15, and 20 years experience.

I am not trying to talk you out of GPS/DAQ as I too am interested in it. I am just saying that the answers you seek can be found simply by asking the right people.

Also, I have video of Mid-ohio that might help you if you want to email me.

Colin,

I was running in GTS, and I was seeing new tires on most of the front runners. If not each weekend, maybe every other. In any case, that is not the real issue for me, just a fact of the racing world we all need to live with.

I have a 73 911, and I was running against BMW M3s and Porsche 993's. You have to admit both of those are far better handeling cars out of the box. I was getting killed in the most of the corners, which translated to straight away speed. My car is pretty light, so I'm in a class with cars making a lot more HP. If I can not carry more speed then them in the corners, then they just walk me down the straights.

In the race I did this past summer (broke the car on the last lap) my best lap was 12 seconds off my class leaders. I've been racing this car since 2000, and did DE events in other cars for at least 5 years prior to that. So I'm hardly a rookie, but I not going to say I know it all either. I should be able to improve 3-4 seconds when I get to the point I'm maxing out my corner speeds, which is where I think the data collection would help. That still leaves me 8-9 seconds to make up. I don't know if I'll ever be one of the front runners. I've made friends with them and they are VERY good drivers.

By far my best turn at Mid-Ohio is turn 1, long, fast, flat, my car was a happy camper there. My plan is to start converting the car from torsion bars to coil-overs this winter, so we'll see what that does for me. If I could get to within 5 seconds of the leaders, consistant 1:45's, I'd feel much better about the whole thing. I think 2007 is going to be a long test & tune session.

Thanks for the video offer, but I'm pretty comfortable with the line. Maybe just a little fine tuning here and there. I've seen a couple of these data systems in real life, and I'm a computer guy anyway, so I did not think it was that hard to get the basics out of it. I have the videos from the BMW guys, so I know I'm on-line, just off-pace.

I had to type my original reply twice, and I guess I left out of the second one that I will probably instruct, so I can run the HPDE for free. AT least I think that was how it worked. If I have to miss a session to work on the car or with my student, I can live with that. The pressure to make all the practice, qualifing, and the race sessions is just not there when doing a DE.

The instruction bit is a key point to reducing your costs.

Have you considered getting additional instruction? If Micheal Schumacher constantly receives coaching, none of us couldn't also benefit from it. I'm really looking forward to getting some additional instruction myself early next year. One of the instructors has taught many Pro drivers. I was surprised that his normal rate was $500 (as in that's a good deal IMO). I'd be willing to bet you'd gain more from a very good instructional day then the GPS system at this stage. Oh, pro drivers such as Eric Curran and Randy Pobst also do instructional days. Heck, if you've become friends with some of the front running drivers you race with and feel one of them (or more) can communicate how to become a better racer with you, ask for their assistance. Even if you're instructing, with the NASA regions I'm familair with at least, you can have a passenger ride along with you in your session.

With my current car, It would have to be a follow the leader type instruction. I don't have a second seat, and I have stuff mounted on the floor on the passgener side, so it would not be safe anyway.

Kind of ironic reading your email, Randy Pobst has been a friend, not a close one, since back in the day when he was running SCCA regionals in a Toyota starlet IT car. If he has some time at the Mid-Ohio race next spring, I may try and sit down with him and talk and look at some video.

Mid-Ohio is by far the most difficult track I've raced on, so it's going to take some time to learn it well. My other option is to move back to FL to tracks I'm VERY comfortable with. I kind of prefer this one.

John, don't think an instructor has to ride in your car or lead/follow to be useful. Think of all the open wheel cars, and other pro drivers who don't have coaches ride in the car with them.

I'd love to get Randy to coach me at Road Atlanta next year.