do i need to have two kirkey seats?

rppngears91

hey guys. Sorry, I know this has probably been asked before but in HPDE does the instructor have to have the same seat and harness as the driver or is there a way i can get around that? (hah tight budget weekend track car)

thanks for the speedy reply! for those who are looking at this thread, no you do not have to have the same safety equipment on driver and passanger side, at least in NASA. Hopefully my instructor wont think im just an cheap asshole haha.

As an instructor, for PCA, BMW, etc over the years, if you don't have the same on both passenger and driver, the instructor may decline to go out with you. Even if all you can afford to do right now is a set of harnesses on a stock seat (assuming the harness will work in a safe manner on the seat) is better the just giving them a stock seat and belt.

My first track car, 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, I tracked down a set of used seats and modified them to work with harneses. I cut slots in the top for the shoulder belts and a slot in the bottom for the sub strap. Before a track event I swapped out the seats and installed the harnesses.

I just added a rebuttal to Joe Lee's interpretation in the other thread ...

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=72999#72999

and asked my Reg Dir what the process is to get an official NASA clarification of this. I don't care if the seats are different, but as an instructor, I want to be restrained as much as the driver in case of an accident.

bruce

just as a follow up on this, Greg Greenbaum has officially asked for a review of the language in the rules for the '07 CCR. (see linked thread)

cheers,

bruce