TTU vs. TTR? Calculator/Rules Question

JamesE

After competing in a couple Redline Time Attacks and the recent Super Street Time Attack at ButtonWillow I'm hooked and I want to prepare my SCCA Solo BSP-Prepared STi for competition in the NASA Time Trial series. I have used the online calculator and as is my car fits in TTU; Base class TTC + 15 base + 49 mod (+64 total). So I thought.. how many points can I add before I hit TTR? Based on the rules I suspected +80. I restarted the calculator and added everything on my wish list and ended up with +88, but the calculator still suggested that I am in TTU. Is this correct? Perhaps cars with a base class of TTC can not reach TTR regardless of points? I couldn't find anything in the rules that suggested this.

On a side note, will there be any significant changes to the car classification system for 2007 and how soon will those changes be available?

I couldn't find anything in the rules that suggested this.

On a side note, will there be any significant changes to the car classification system for 2007 and how soon will those changes be available?

Mr James,

Please read the below writings from 5 page of NASA Time Attack rulings. If not having 560 wheel horsepowers or 500 wheel horsepower and AWD, no having tube frame, and no sequential transmission or dog-ring gearbox you may race in TTU with as many modification points as you want. No limit to points *unless base class of car TTA.

Also be many carefull as new rulings by Mr. Greenbaum should be soon new on 11\30\2006. I believe changes in turbo and weights/wheel horsepowers rules to be much new. This is my rumor.

In addition to the cars listed below, the TTR class includes: any tubeframe, never street legal, or purpose-built racecar or vehicle not approved by the DOT or TUV for street use, that is not otherwise classed below. It also includes any streetcar listed below that does not retain the original floorpan and silhouette, is converted (partially or wholly) to a tube frame design, has a non-OEM sequential transmission or dog-ring gearbox, or has greater than 500 awhp for AWD vehicles, or 560 rwhp/fwhp for non-AWD vehicles, based on chassis dynamometer testing (NASA may use a Mustang, Dynojet, or Dynapack dynamometer, depending on availability, to verify compliance. Competitors are forewarned to leave an appropriate "cushion" so that they will be in compliance regardless of which type of dyno is used.) Lastly, it includes all TTU base class cars with greater than 14 modification points, and all TTA base class cars with greater than 35 modification points.?

Thank you for the clarification Takumi. I look forward to view the new rules for 2007. It appears that AWD cars were under close scruteny at the National Championships so I wouldn't be surprised to see a change.