new SFI 38.1 certified device

Bruce L.

just noticed that the Leatt brace has cleared SFI 38.1 certification.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1

http://www.leatt-brace.com/ (the Moto-R one for cars)

interesting differences from the other 38.1 devices - no tethers to restrict side-to-side movement and it provides some lateral restraint as well. And the entry-level version is $400.

cheers,

bruce

No tethers means it does nothing to control the force of the impact until the head hits the device (not good). The tethers on the HANS Device (and I assume the tethers/shocks on other devices) actually start controlling the forces at the beginning.

I've actually tried ordering one of the Leatt devices. They are only taking pre-orders as they are negotiating with some manufacturing facility in another part of the world to start building them. By the way, that $400 does not include any import fee's or shipping.

Howard Bennett

the device passes 38.1 so it controls the forces as well as any of the other 38.1 devices. The helmet contacts the brace and is then brought to a controlled stop. On the other devices, the tethers do nothing until they start stretching. On the Isaac device (non 38.1), the rate of movement is restrained by the dampers.

I can see shipping being additional but import fees doesn't make sense since they advertise their US home base as Nevada. They have announced that Playmaker in Taiwan will be making the devices and I believe they will start shipping in January.

cheers,

bruce

No tethers means it does nothing to control the force of the impact until the head hits the device (not good). The tethers on the HANS Device (and I assume the tethers/shocks on other devices) actually start controlling the forces at the beginning.

I've actually tried ordering one of the Leatt devices. They are only taking pre-orders as they are negotiating with some manufacturing facility in another part of the world to start building them. By the way, that $400 does not include any import fee's or shipping.

Howard Bennett

There's a difference in controlling the forces. The Leatt doesn't do anything until the head stops at the device. Those numbers are under the SFI limit. The HANS Device starts controlling the forces as the tethers tighten. I've come to realize that a lot of people don't know how the HANS Device works. In an impact, as the torso starts moving forward under the belts, the HANS Device slides back under the belts applying tension to the tethers. The controlled forces are applied in a line from the device through the anchors through the forehead rather than the chin or face.

As far as the information on shipping, that's changed since a couple of weeks ago.

Howard Bennett

In all my research on Head and Neck devices the only 2 that I feel perform very well in an impact are the HANS and ISAAC. Sadly the ISAAC is not SFI38.1 certed due to working in the spec. Even so I consider both of these at highest level for safety. I don't consider anything else including the leatt as performing as well. Based on what I know about neck loading during a belted car crash I don't see how the Leatt is nothing more than glorifed neck roll and woud have little to no benefit. I am not the only one that feels this way either.

Last year I chose a HANS device because I felt that one day SFI38.1 would be required and never felt the ISAAC would ever get that. Otherwise it was a toss-up between ISAAC & HANS with a slight edge in my mind to the ISAAC.

After 1 year of use I am quite happy with my HANS.

company HQ is in South Africa, so duty taxes may apply. Looks like a new way of looking at this problem. Passes the test so in theory it is going to help you survive a deadly crash. My safety gear sponsor claims that his neck brace works essentially the same by keeping the head upright and not allowing it to dip forward. he doesn't have the money to SFI test it but many hollywood stuntmen swear it works(and they have tested it with real world crashes), plus it only cost $25.

I'm with Howard and Joe on this one...this device makes me nervous. You're essentially relying on the device to "catch" your helmet. Sure it works fine in a test environment...but on the track? Not that it applies to us, but this device would do next to nothing in a semi-reclined rear impact.

Can't wait for my Isaac to show up

I see they have added some charts to their website. I couldn't really tell what they were saying. I couldn't find anything about a U.S. office. I may be blind though. The software simulation doesn't really mean a thing to me though.

Howard Bennett

yes, the 38.1 sled test results are there now so the simulations are moot. Hopefully somebody independent and knowledgable will put up a comparison with common units. That would make a good GRM article. I hear that a bunch of safety experts are meeting at the SAE Motorsports Saftety meeting in Dearborn next week and I'm sure this device will be discussed.

Their Las Vegas office is listed on the Contact page. Not the greatest choice to associate their business with gambling ...

cheers,

bruce

I see they have added some charts to their website. I couldn't really tell what they were saying. I couldn't find anything about a U.S. office. I may be blind though. The software simulation doesn't really mean a thing to me though.

Howard Bennett

The tethers on the HANS Device (and I assume the tethers/shocks on other devices) actually start controlling the forces at the beginning.
Really? I would think the device would not start to work until the slack was taken out of the tethers.

Really? I would think the device would not start to work until the slack was taken out of the tethers.

Did you read my second post that same day????

Howard

• Members

I've been very happy with my G-Force SRS-1. Thank goodness I haven't had to put it to a true test but so far I feel comfortable with it's abilities...

Ed

Ed, be ready if NASA requires SFI certification any time in the future. The SRS-1 is not certified and it never will be. It works OK for it's application but I believe G-Force is just trying to get clear the remaining stock on hand.

Howard

• Members

Thanks Howard. Yes, I'm ready but I feel I've got my use out of it. I'm on my third year so if/when I have to compy to a new rule, I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

I think the SRS-1 got a raw deal as far as all this certification crap goes but I guess that's the way it is. I'm a believer in it but I guess that really doesn't matter either.

I hope to see you at more of our events next year!

Happy Holidays!

Ed