how long will some Toyo RA-1's last me (shaved 4/32)

rppngears91

Hey guys, Im trying to decide over some which tires to get. Ill only be doing HPDE's so I wont be hardcore racing. Can anyone give me a guesstimate on about how long some shaved toyo ra-1 (245/40/17 by the way) should last me?

By the way should I even shave them if im only doing HPDE events? (the car is not driven on the road)

On a 944 spec car 2600lbs with 134 rwhp the Toyo's last a 1/2 seaons in racing conditions. In a DE I would run them full tread and then run them to the cords and you can probably get a full season (approx 18 track days). Toyo are great DE tires.

On a 944 spec car 2600lbs with 134 rwhp the Toyo's last a 1/2 seaons in racing conditions. In a DE I would run them full tread and then run them to the cords and you can probably get a full season (approx 18 track days). Toyo are great DE tires.

Ditto, this has been my experience as well.

so most of u guys do run them to the steel chords! i wondering about that. ok thanks guys hopefully i can get some shipped by the end of the week. Now that I dont have to shave em, ive got enough cash to buy em cya

so most of u guys do run them to the steel chords!

I run them until they get hard and don't stick well. That is about 32-36 really abusing heat cycles for me so assuming 4 per day that comes to 8 or 9 track days shaved or not. You can get more if you care about making the tires last. I don however. I could continue to run them if I did not care about lap times. I would have to slow down a bit, but since I race I car about lap times. That is why I shave then and toss them went the cycle out. Shave tires are faster soon while full tread take longer to wear down to their sweet spot. Remember however they will look worn our after a day or two. That is ok just keep running them until you see cord or they get too slick for comfort. Worn down toyos are in their sweet spot!

For you guys that are roatating/flipping on the rims, do you have any specific visual indicator that you watch for before rotating or flipping or is it number of track days or feel of the car?? Obviously it makes sense to rotate and flip if possible to extrend the life but - when???

I rotate mine after a couple days or 5-6 sessions. I am also running 3-4 Degrees of negative camber and keep rotating my tires to reduce excessive inside wear.

Dont hesitate to run them reverse rotation in the dry when they still have tread. After the tread is worn it makes no difference.

have fun.

Drive fast, drive smart and drive often.