HPDE 2 Corvette ZO6 drivers

beerkat

I will be tracking a '01 ZO6 this coming season for the first time. I was wondering what tires you run. Size as well as brand. Do any of you run the same size rims and tires on all four?

I worked my way up gradually from street runflats to progressively stickier tires. The next step up may be the Khumo Voctor racers or Toyos. The stickiest rubber is Khumo V710 or Hoosiers. You may not be ready for that in HPDE 2, as you will probably still be getting a feel for the car. You'll have better control if you learn when the car is about to slide. The stock tires are good for this, as they squeal when pushed. The slicks don't make too much noise.

The Corvette seems to like the stagger of wider tires in the back, but some people do run 17X11's or 18X10.5 all around. If I were you, I would get Toyos or Victoracers that fit your rims, like 265 or 275 series in the front and 295 series in the rear. Wear them out, then go to stickeir rubber in HPDE 3.

yeah stick with stock or something close, nothing to sticky. stickier race tires are harder to predict when they readh their limits. plus tires that arent as grippy help you get more of a feel as to what the car and yourself can do. i was out cornering an 05 M3 in my stock ford focus with stock wet/dry 215-45-17 continentals and stock suspension at stock weight with a full tank of gass. dont underestimate stock! drive the hell out of it till it reaches its limits, not yours. just my $.02

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fellows for the replies. I am going to be running on the BF Goodrich tires that came on the car when I bought it. The front tires are 275/40ZR on stock 17"rim. I had to buy a set of rear 295/35ZR 18 for the rear because the car had 275/40ZR on the rim. Those where a little narrow for the stock ZO6 rear wheel.

I will run the car pretty much as is, which it pretty stock. I am putting in a B-K harness bar to help hold be in place.

Happy Holidays

So Kim you went over to the darkside and got a Z06.... Of course Jayne says you made the right choice. You will love the car! I have a set of the stock tires from her car that are still 30% or so which would be fine for a dry track if you are interested give me a shout.

Rick "Hazman" McNutt

Kim, I highly recommend the BF Goodridge g-Force T/A KD tires on your stock wheels (I run 18" all around) - they're great for both street and provide exceptional grip on the track. A squeeling tire is a happy tire - these communicate very well so you know how hard to push it while learning. I used them thru HPDE 1 and 2 before moving to Kumho ECSTA V700 and Nitto NT-01. Mike

No Frank I just keep looking for something that I can stay on track with.

Actually I did not want to take my Cobra vert any farther than I did. If I had gone ahead and put coil overs on the Cobra I would have ruin it for street use and kill some of the resale. Also I got tired of chasing the vettes around the track so I thought that I would join them. Last a hardtop that weighs less than 3200 pounds is safer than a convertible that weights more that 3800 pounds.

I do hope to make it into HPDE 3 for the 2008 season.

Thanks Gray Ghost for the feed back on the tires. I think that there is a small difference between the KD and the KDW. I know that I need the squeal of the tires, trouble is I do not always listen.

Hi Rick, thanks for the tire offer but I think that I am good for now. I hope to see you and Janie at CMP in February with NASA-SE.

Kim, great to see you're still doing this! I was in an event with you waaaay back in the day. You were in your Lightning, I had a black Acura Integra, we talked a bit at Summit Point. I'm sure you'll like the Vette, they look like a hell of a lot of fun. I sure enjoy watching them zoom past me

-Adam

Hi Adam I have not been back to SP. long drive. I hope to do a full season with NASA-SE this year. I have been running with different car clubs but NASA seem to be the best way to go if you really want to learn to drive. I hope to instruct some day.

I know what you mean by watching them speed by. I found an '01 ZO6 that is in real nice shape with about 52,000 miles on it basically stock. I will run it that way for the coming season, other than a harness bar that I put in yesterday.

Happy New Year and have a safe '07

Kim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kim,

I'll be running my Black '04 Z06 in DE2 this year also in at least 5 NASA-SE events. I'll probably do NASA-MA for VIR a couple times and will try PBOC for their Barber and Sebring events. Did 7 weekends last year with various organizations and agree with you that NASA is tops for learning. Let's see how far my budget (or lack thereof) will last me this year.

Don't think we've had a chance to meet but I know Jeff England has instructed you (as I) so you must be good...

As for tires, I run Toyo T1-R streets on stock Z06 wheels but acquired some 17" CCWs last year and have the good stuff on 'em -- Kumho 710s.

The T1-Rs are okay, better than the bald GY SCs I had.

See you at the track.

Khoi

Well I hope to meet you at one of the events. Jeff and Jake are both fun to work with. They are the reason I have a ZO6. NASA -SE is going to run Barber this year in October I think. If all works out I will be at VIR with the NCM group in July. I want to do as many NASA-SE events this year as I can with the hope of being moved up to group 3 next season.

• 3 weeks later...

GREAT POST!!!

I have a 2000 FRC and need to purchase better tires for HPDE2. I was runing the stock tires in HPDE 1, but at 4500 in third gear it would break the tires loose - and the car would rotate!!

I agree that I need to learn the car and stock tires would help, but what about TOYO RA1's or Goodyear GS D3's ?

I just did my first track days, CMP, with the ZO6. It is just a different car from my '03 Must/Cobra. I ran on the BF Goodrich KDW2 tires and they worked very well. It was a cold track but they stuck pretty well. I ran the stock air pressure of 30 psi cold, notice very little if any tire roll. I believe that I could get several track days out of them.

My season is pretty much done for the year. I go in for back surgery on Monday Feb. 19. I hope to be able to run at Barber in Oct. still.

Hi Kim,

I'll be running my Black '04 Z06 in DE2 this year also in at least 5 NASA-SE events. I'll probably do NASA-MA for VIR a couple times and will try PBOC for their Barber and Sebring events. Did 7 weekends last year with various organizations and agree with you that NASA is tops for learning. Let's see how far my budget (or lack thereof) will last me this year.

Don't think we've had a chance to meet but I know Jeff England has instructed you (as I) so you must be good...

As for tires, I run Toyo T1-R streets on stock Z06 wheels but acquired some 17" CCWs last year and have the good stuff on 'em -- Kumho 710s.

The T1-Rs are okay, better than the bald GY SCs I had.

See you at the track.

Khoi

Have you considered the Toyo RA1's?

I just did my first track days, CMP, with the ZO6. It is just a different car from my '03 Must/Cobra. I ran on the BF Goodrich KDW2 tires and they worked very well. It was a cold track but they stuck pretty well. I ran the stock air pressure of 30 psi cold, notice very little if any tire roll. I believe that I could get several track days out of them.

My season is pretty much done for the year. I go in for back surgery on Monday Feb. 19. I hope to be able to run at Barber in Oct. still.

Good luck Monday.

Hope to meet you in Oct.

It was great meeting you at CMP. Update us when you can about your recovery from the back surgery. Hope to see you at BMP.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran Kuhmo MX's (street tires) on my Z06 for HPDE 3, and they are a very good bang for the buck.

I am now running Kuhmo V710's in HPDE 4 and now TTA.

It was great meeting you at CMP. Update us when you can about your recovery from the back surgery. Hope to see you at BMP.

Surgery went well. I now have a titanium rod and two titanium screws in my back but I am pain free. I hope to start rehab in a couple of weeks. Still hoping to make Barber if not something sooner.

Surgery went well. I now have a titanium rod and two titanium screws in my back but I am pain free. I hope to start rehab in a couple of weeks. Still hoping to make Barber if not something sooner.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Have you considered the Toyo RA1's?

Yes, will probably go with them next after my T1-R's wear out. From what I hear, pretty good and longer tread wear for an R-compound. Not as good as Hoosiers or Kumho R-compounds though. Good middle of the road tires for HPDE.