Toe link brace points assement

AZELISE

I am looking for a points assessment for an optional rear toe link brace for the Elise. The stock rear inner toe links have failed on street tires (Treadwear 200) or DOT R compound treaded tires (Yokahama A048) at three different tracks. Keep in mind these failures result in the total loss of control. Lotus recommends their optional brace that replaces the stock ball joint type links inner toe links with hemi joints and adds a bar that connects the two inner toe links to the chassis(sometimes) and each other. This bar connects to the rear subframe at the transmission mount on some versions and just connects the two inner toe links to each other on the newer style. The entire suspension retains the stock geometry, pick-up points and arms that connect the inner and outer toe links. I installed this bar as a safety measure. I am not sure of it gives the car a performance gain but some people claim it keeps the toe more stable during cornering because the setup is stiffer than the stock setup. The only reference I could find is in the 2006 rules under suspension #24:

24)Non-OEM control arms (for stiffness only, no change in suspension mount or pick-up

points from stock) +1

I believe that this part would compare closest to a strut tower bar (a +1 modification). The part may only have the ability to stiffen the suspension, not change the way it works.

For reference from the Lotus service manual:

Optional Additions

Chassis Rear Brace Kit (recommended for track use and/or A048 tyres)

LOTAC05377 1

• National Staff

I'll have to look into it in a few days. Are you going to PIR this weekend? I think that I'll be there. I could look at the car itself. If you have a weblink for the brace, send it to me. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...