Welding roll cage (.120 wall) with 15 amps, can it be done?

cmk1md

Hey guys, im new hear and Im hoping to get my car ready for racing this season. Im was going to start on the roll cage but ive come across a problem. I only have access to a 15 amp power source, and ive been told by a few people theres no way I will be able to weld .120" thick steel. Can anyone help me out maybe with another idea? I was thinking flux-core wire may require less amperage.

CCR Rules states that I must use 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM tubing (or chromoly) because of my weight class. I wish it were that simple XAIX or am I mis understanding you

CCR Rules states that I must use 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM tubing (or chromoly) because of my weight class. I wish it were that simple XAIX or am I mis understanding you

He is messing w/ you.

Maybe you could get a generator to supply power to the welder? I doubt 15amp is going to do what you want. I've tripped a 30amp breaker a few times w/ my little hobart after using it for a while.

cmk1md

Yes you were misunderstanding my tendency towards sarcastic smartassery…you can’t just reduce the wall thickness.

Since you were not aware of the tendency of a 15 AMP breaker to go snap crackle pop or switch off faster than your wife/girlfriend when you forget her birthday when using sufficient power to weld .120 thick steel I assumed you are not a welder by trade or had ever done much welding at all. But like a lot of misguided individuals you figured…hey… I’ll just slap this roll cage together…cause I don’t want to spend the money to have it done by some one competent…or actually take the time to become competent myself. Never mind that it is one of the most important safety devices on your car. Here is what I would suggest…

Have it welded by a certified welder…preferably TIG welded (I can hear all the screams from every backyard hack with a MIG welder now).

If you insist on welding it yourself make sure you do practice welds and perform cutaways to check for penetration. You should also take some pieces of tubing, weld two pieces together and test the weld by using a bar to bend the tube section back and forth until it breaks from fatigue. If it doesn’t break at the weld your home free. If it does break at the weld, then do the same fatigue test on a non-welded length. If it takes as many back and forth bending motions to break the non-welded tube then your weld is a good weld. A good weld should be as strong as the parent material.

I won’t even get into ambient temperature variances VS welder settings…100% penetration…OD-ID weld bead ratios…weld trail-off…etc…etc.

Good luck and race safe.

Have it welded by a certified welder…preferably TIG welded (I can hear all the screams from every backyard hack with a MIG welder now).

I agree w/ you. Personally, I'd tack it up w/ a MIG then take it to someone with a proper TIG setup and knowledge.

My cage took 12hrs to TIG weld.

cmk1md

Yes you were misunderstanding my tendency towards sarcastic smartassery…you can’t just reduce the wall thickness.

Since you were not aware of the tendency of a 15 AMP breaker to go snap crackle pop or switch off faster than your wife/girlfriend when you forget her birthday when using sufficient power to weld .120 thick steel I assumed you are not a welder by trade or had ever done much welding at all. But like a lot of misguided individuals you figured…hey… I’ll just slap this roll cage together…cause I don’t want to spend the money to have it done by some one competent…or actually take the time to become competent myself. Never mind that it is one of the most important safety devices on your car. Here is what I would suggest…

If you insist on welding it yourself make sure you do practice welds and perform cutaways to check for penetration. You should also take some pieces of tubing, weld two pieces together and test the weld by using a bar to bend the tube section back and forth until it breaks from fatigue. If it doesn’t break at the weld your home free. If it does break at the weld, then do the same fatigue test on a non-welded length. If it takes as many back and forth bending motions to break the non-welded tube then your weld is a good weld. A good weld should be as strong as the parent material.

I won’t even get into ambient temperature variances VS welder settings…100% penetration…OD-ID weld bead ratios…weld trail-off…etc…etc.

Good luck and race safe.

XAIX I was merely trying to figure out weather or not it COULD be done in my apartments garage. I wouldnt risk my life by finding a cheap way around building a roll cage. The last thing I need is the end of a broken weld impaling me in a off-track adventure or possibly injuring another driver in a collision ect...

BTW I will probably not be the one welding, but I was hoping it could be done in my garage.

Is there absolutely not enough current? What about utility circuits? Washer/ Dryer, GFI? They are all 20 amp and if the dryer is electric, its 220v. 80-100$ will get you a decent extension cord.

If you are having someone else do the welding then perhaps you have more options for location.

Best of luck with your build.

Is there absolutely not enough current? What about utility circuits? Washer/ Dryer, GFI? They are all 20 amp and if the dryer is electric, its 220v. 80-100$ will get you a decent extension cord.

If you are having someone else do the welding then perhaps you have more options for location.

Best of luck with your build.

I live on the third floor of my building. Im freinds with the guy that lives right above my garage, but Im not sure if he will let me use his dryer outlet. But its a very good idea but I will need a LONG extension cord!!

I probably will end up using someone elses garage, I was hoping someone could think of something creative. Thanks for your help tho!

You could get 30 amp 120 volt power from a dryer circuit or just spend 80-100 on an extension cord if the dude will allow you to use his power.

I have always been a proponent of DIY. I did mine myself.

Best of luck.

Hey, I know I am jumping in late, but I have to agree, welding a cage is not for the faint of heart. Even fitting up the tubes can be a real pain in the butt. If you have the time and the patience, I would still say go for it, but practice first, you will learn a lot. As far as power goes... You might be able to find a 120/220 inverter TIG welder on ebay, and that should have enough guts on 120 to do the job. They put out about 110-120 welding amps.

Rusty