NASA HDPE or SCCA Road Racing

tom_rx7

I am trying to decide if I should do NASA HDPE or SCCA road race. What do you guys think are the pros and cons of each? Obviously, if you are a member of this forum you may be bias toward HDPE so what is the biggest obstacle preventing you from road racing?

Thanks,

Tom

HPDE would be for the guy just learning to track

once you get used to tracking then you can start thinking road-racing

gotta crawl before you can walk, and before you can run...

Car preparation may be the biggest difference. In HPDE's, you can gradually modify your car as your skill level improves. In racing (either SCCA or NASA) there are guidelines that must be followed for your car to pass technical inspection.

HPDE's are treated more like time trials. Hitting your marks on each apex and setting up your passes to minimize lost time are keys.

Races start out with the cars side by side, which is exciting for awhile, but the pack usually thins out. You then focus on hitting your marks (as in HPDE's) and occasionally have to worry about blocking someone or setting up a pass. Lap times aren't as important as long as you stay in front.

I think I'll continue both ways of enjoying the track.

I do not know why I went with SCCA since I knew NASA had road racing. Does anyone have experience with both or know the which one is easier or better to get into?

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Around here, SCCA competition licensing requires a racecar and two weekends on track. Meanwhile, NASA competition licensing requires graduating through the HPDE program in whatever you've got to drive, before doing the comp school in a racecar. This usually takes at least a full season from scratch, although I've seen it done in less time by drivers with related experience.

Generally I believe the NASA method makes for better & safer racers particularly due to the amount of track time (and our graduated HPDE program with various levels of instruction and classroom) before ever turning a wheel in anger against the clock.

NASA has an excellent roadracing program with many competitive classes in this region. Our members (not just racers, but everybody) are some of the smartest, nicest, neatest people you will ever meet IMHO. It becomes very enjoyable to spend track weekends with hundreds of friends (even if you haven't met 'em all yet!)

I'd recommend going to both types of events, talking to racers, and seeing what you like best. "Better" is a matter of opinion, mostly.

Hope it helps,

Jon

Easiest way on a track is NASA HPDE. Show up in street car with helmet and you are good.

Easiest way to racing is SCCA. Bring or rent a race car and do two schoold and they let you race. Really driving skills not required.

I personally think the best way to race effectivly is to start in HPDE and learn to drive for a year or so. Then build/buy a race car and race.

My road to racing started in NASA HPDE then alot of PCA DE and PCA autocrosses. I spend this time building car control skills. Then I got PCA club race license and then transfered to NASA Pro race. I started DE in January 1999 and my first road race was April 2002. When I started racing was not a goal as I just wanted to take my street car out to the track. Thinking back now I am very happy I did many days of HPDE just learning how to drive a car on a track. Made my transition to racing much safer and more enjoyable.

what he said...

I'd be a little wary of hopping into an SCCA w-t-w race as lax as thier licensing seems to be

don't forget about the Time Trial program either, its a nice bridge between DE and WTW with some competiton elements, open passing, but not rubbing fenders...

ok we have already sorted the original post as missing an element.

That being said, I think Jon's post is spot on perfect.

Which sanction/club is better is purely subjective. I have friends on both sides of the fence but I call NASA-MA my family.

My 2 cents is that every driver will gain the most experience spending time in the low pressure environment of an HPDE program. It doesnt matter if you are a hot shoe or a slow poke. There is knowledge to be gained. The instructors I have come across in various HPDE programs are top notch. Each brings a different strength to the table.

I believe a driver will learn more this way than jumping into the fire and competing.

best of luck and hope to see you at a NASA-MA event in 2007.