HARNESS BARS?? GOOD MOD?

The Twanksta

Well, I have a civic hatchback and Im going to attending more HPDE's and moving up the ranks and eventually racing with NASA. I have stock seats and belts as of right now. i cant afford to put in a cage and dont really NEED it at the moment. NOW, my g/f is getting me some 5-point harnesses for x-mas this year and I plan to buy a harness bar to go with them.

Question is, is there any downside(besides rear passenger obstruction, which i dont care about)? Are they pretty safe? Is this going to be ok with my stock seats until I can get a race seat(next on list)?

Ive been looking at the Sparco harness bar, just a bit pricey for a bar but I really like the design. I also looked at the one from I/O Port and it is more or less just a generic bar that connects to your upper seatbelt bolts. Is there any other brands that I can look at? Thanks!

harness bar for harnesses == BAD

harness bar for camera mount == GOOD

Roll bar for harnesses mount == GOOD

Don't use a harness w/o at least a roll bar.

So your saying the Sparco bar is no good, or atleast not safe?

Im guessing your argument is incase of a roll-over?

who makes good roll bars(w/ harness bar incorporated) for less than 400?

Also how do they mount into your car? Do you cut a hole in your floor and bolt it in like a cage?

So your saying the Sparco bar is no good, or atleast not safe?

Im guessing your argument is incase of a roll-over?

who makes good roll bars(w/ harness bar incorporated) for less than 400?

Also how do they mount into your car? Do you cut a hole in your floor and bolt it in like a cage?

I don't know what kind of car you have but I had an autopower in my mustang, it was a bolt on (cut hole in carpet, bolt to floor, etc) and came w/ a harness bar. Do a search on here there have been more than 1 discussion on harness bar's.

I don't know what kind of car you have but ....

C'mon Dude The first sentence of the thread.....

Well, I have a civic hatchback and I....

Anyway...

If I am not mistaken the Harness bar is only intended to be used as a guide for the harnesses. The business end of the harnesses should be attached to the roll bar or to the rear seat belt mounts. The Harness bar is only intended to guide the harnesses above the shoulders of the front seat occupants so as to reduce spinal compression during a frontal impact.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Also keep in mind that the stock seats do not offer much lateral support during cornering or protection in a rearward collision.

Dont waste your money on a harness bar. I would start with a roll bar and weld more to it later making it a class legal cage.

I would also then invest in a good seat. It has been said that a good quality seat is worth a 1/2 second minimum on your best lap time.

Be sure and mount the seat as low in the car as possible.

I wouldnt put any other money into the car until you have the above items. Driving the car on street tires and a basically stock set up will teach you to be smooth.

Next upgrade after safety should be springs/ dampers.

Best of luck with your build.

thanks, Well Im already half way there...

My g/f is buying the harness for me for x-mas. And I plan to either buy a "harness bar" or a "roll bar". As of right now, Im leaning towards the "roll bar". Seems to be the safest thing to do. I already have upgraded brakes/pads/fluid, springs and shocks, and tires. the car is a fairly decent tracker when matched up to some cars the SHOULD be way in front of me...

But anyways, if anyone has any more info on the subject please chime in. Any help is appreciated! I still have another month or so to make up my mind and find something.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on roll bars besides autopower or I/O Port? And of those two which is better?

I dont think it will make a bit of difference. just get a 4 point cage (roll bar) to start and be sure its the right diameter and wall thickness so you can add to it and be class legal.