Joined NASA, where do I start?

jkuper

Signed up for membership today and looking forward to some events next year. Which group should I sign up for? I have done a total of 28 days (not weekends) at VIR, Mid-Ohio and Summit Point, 18 of those at VIR (various configuration) with Audi/BMW clubs. Lately I have been in group B (intermidiate), been signed off. I have never been in pass anywhere with a point situation, so I am not sure where to start with NASA events. HPDE1, 2, 3?

Thanks,

Jason

Heck, with 28 track days you can run anything you want, including HPDE 4 and TT. Welcome to NASA and have fun.

I am not looking for admission into the group based solely on min number of days completed. Heck, BMWCCA racing license requirement is 8 track weekends, however, I am no where near ready for that, I don't think.

I don't see your location in your profile but judging by the tracks I'd guess you're either in the MA or SE region. Sign up for HPDE2 your first event. You'll get an instructor to help acclimate you to the NASA system. You won't be caught up following newbies if you're very fast, neither will you be overwhelmed if you're not quite ready for the increased aggression level and passing anywhere of HPDE3. It sounds like you are definitely beyond HPDE1. MA requires signoffs from 4 different instructors, at 4 different events, to run in the instructor group (HPDE4). You'll have a great time and will know for sure which group is the right one for the next time. You'll also be able to spend some time riding with your instructor to get the feel and some advice on handling driving in close traffic with HPDE3/4.

I don't see your location in your profile but judging by the tracks I'd guess you're either in the MA or SE region. Sign up for HPDE2 your first event. You'll get an instructor to help acclimate you to the NASA system. You won't be caught up following newbies if you're very fast, neither will you be overwhelmed if you're not quite ready for the increased aggression level and passing anywhere of HPDE3. It sounds like you are definitely beyond HPDE1. MA requires signoffs from 4 different instructors, at 4 different events, to run in the instructor group (HPDE4). You'll have a great time and will know for sure which group is the right one for the next time. You'll also be able to spend some time riding with your instructor to get the feel and some advice on handling driving in close traffic with HPDE3/4.

That's what I was thinking as well. MA is the home region, btw.

Thank you

HPDE 3 is the highest level group with point by passing in designated areas. HPDE 4 is unrestricted (point by's are appreciated as a courtesy but not required). You mentioned Mid-Ohio and this is correct for the OH/IN and Midwest regions. I have heard that this may vary in some regions (Group 4 may be an instructors only group for example) so it's best to check with the region director.

Usually moving from Group 3 to Group 4 depends more on your comfort level with open passing rules. A lot of times Group 3 will be a lightly attended group, less cars on track during your sessions, so signing up for 3 at your first event might not be a bad idea. Also the instructors run in 4 and are usually willing to take passingers (unless they are busy with their assigned students) so you could see what Group 4 is like.

In MA, HPDE3 is always fully populated (as are all the groups) and rules are pass anywhere, point required. HPDE4 is instructors plus a few qualified others, most of whom become either instructors or racers soon after. There is also a separate TT group with open passing.

jason: Welcome to NASA and I have to say that Frank's advice is spot on.

Our group 4 is fast. Our group 3 is fast as well. You seem to have decent experience at VIR so you should be signed off quickly. Sign up for group 2 and be sure to be FIRST on grid when it comes to show time. From there you can see if you are ready for group 3. Get a ride along with an instructor and I highly recommend riding with more than your assigned instructor to get different perspectives. I am an instructor and I also enjoy riding along with my fellow instructors. Sometimes there could be a spot on the track that I am trying something different and riding with someone else may give me another perspective.

I would start in Gr 2 for your first event. If you're way faster than most in that group, they will move you up.

Gr 3 is fast. You better have good mirror watching skills and track etiquette to be out there with those guys. It's safe, but there are a lot more things going on at a much higher speed than Gr 2.

This thread brings up a question. If you are in Group 3 in OH/IN and attend a MA event and sign up for Group 3 what happens?

OH/IN Group 3 requires point-bys without open passing

MA Group 3 open passing (equivalent of Group 4/TT group for OH/IN)

OH/IN Group 3 requires point-bys without open passing

MA Group 3 open passing (equivalent of Group 4/TT group for OH/IN)

MA Group 3 is not open passing. That is only in the TT group in MA.

Group 3 is pass anywhere but point-by required.

MA Group 3 is not open passing. That is only in the TT group in MA.

Group 3 is pass anywhere but point-by required.

Thank you for the clarification. That is helpful.

This thread brings up a question. If you are in Group 3 in OH/IN and attend a MA event and sign up for Group 3 what happens?

Well, besides gridding with Group 3....when you attend your first classroom session just speak up, tell them you are from another region and would like to be clear on all the rules and how the group likes to run.

I have found that many of the group 3 regulars like to run door to door with each other. Getting to know the drivers will make it easier to assimilate.

FWIW: A number of us 'Mid-Atlantic' guys will be headed to Mid-Ohio a couple times before nationals. See you then.

Heck, with 28 track days you can run anything you want, including HPDE 4 and TT.

Just curious, how do you justify this statement? Respectfully, my belief is that HPDE students participate with different learning curves and rates of advancement. Therefore, there is no set way to assume that someone is qualified for a certain group only based upon the number of events they have already attended... IMHO of course.

HPDE2 in Mid-A is where this gentleman would likely be most comfortable at first, from his descriptions. He may be ok for HPDE3 soon, but he hasn't yet met the requirements for a TT license or instructor school entry.

PS- welcome to the region and the forums, jkuper!

Jon

Heck, with 28 track days you can run anything you want, including HPDE 4 and TT.

Just curious, how do you justify this statement? Respectfully, my belief is that HPDE students participate with different learning curves and rates of advancement. Therefore, there is no set way to assume that someone is qualified for a certain group only based upon the number of events they have already attended... IMHO of course.

HPDE2 in Mid-A is where this gentleman would likely be most comfortable at first, from his descriptions. He may be ok for HPDE3 soon, but he hasn't yet met the requirements for a TT license or instructor school entry.

PS- welcome to the region and the forums, jkuper!

Jon

Jon, thanks, I "see" you on BF.c quite often

I agree with what you wrote, as not only people learn at a different rate but also same groups run at different rates of speed across different clubs. Hope that made sense.

Yep, I recognized your sn from bf.c

Makes total sense. Learn and progress at your own speed, so to speak.

Anyway- welcome, again! Look me up at any of the Mid-A events, I'm happy to instruct or give rides or help bleed brakes or whatever else...

Jon