ROLL CAGE HELP!

gotspoonJDM

Hey whats up!!??? Ok i just installed my roll cage, and im needing to know a few things, to see if they will work the following phots will help describe.

alloftiffspictures001.jpg

Ok this drawing#1 is how the roll cage was made to fit to the finder wall., But as you see if goes right down into my molding, im trying to keep from having to tear up the molding, and plus the fender wall isnt strong at all.

alloftiffspictures005.jpg

here is one of my ideas around it in Drawing#2, Kinda wondered if this one would be NASA legal. but as you see the pipe will start from its original location and bend over to the sub frame right there, which is a whole lot stronger, just curious if it would be legal. that is the one i prefer to do the most, i would have all of it done by a weld shop.

alloftiffspictures003.jpg

Last but not least in Drawing#3 This is my final design, it bypasses the original location and goes down to the subframe deal. but there want be any bends just a strait pip strait down..

Well thats all i got , please let me know what you think, thanks !!

Shane

no help on the down bars but look in the CCR for legal ways to make down bars, think straight, no bends.

Now, as for you belts, oh my god. Get a set that you can wrap around the harness bar, the drivers side inside strap doesn't even appear to USE the harness bar, and the passengers side don't lay flat, it's twisted. Now they may just be in there for testing, but it caught my eye.

if that is a commercial rollcage designed for your car, then it has been engineered to properly distribute the loads. You shouldn't just arbitrarily move tubes. There needs to be at least a 30 degree angle between the plane of the main hoop and the angle of the rear braces, and those braces must be straight. You can always buy another piece of moulding if you take the cage out.

And do install those belts properly! Belts stretch 20% in a crash so you want them to be as short as possible. Use the harness bar!

cheers,

bruce

if that is a commercial rollcage designed for your car, then it has been engineered to properly distribute the loads.

Actually, that bar has been designed to be easy to install/not be intrusive. I know what he's talking about w/ the down bars bolting to the fender wells. My first roll bar did it as well and I don't think it would have held up very well either. Tying it into the subframe or shock towers would be the best bet.

you can buy the two-slot buckle looking things from racing retailers or likely from who you bought the belts from. They should be able to provide instructions on how to thread them properly also.

cheers,

bruce

how do i fix the belts??? my belts have hooks.

you can buy the two-slot buckle looking things from racing retailers or likely from who you bought the belts from. They should be able to provide instructions on how to thread them properly also.

cheers,

bruce

proper lacing is also covered in the CCR, that darn thing has all sorts of useful info!

cheers,

bruce

Im sorry but havent been able to find any of those two slotted buckel deals., if some one would please give me a link i would apreciate it! =)

actually, I think you already have them on your belts (length adjusters) - study the pictures in the CCR and imagine your harness bar where they're showing the clip-end.

bruce

cheers,

bruce

Im sorry but havent been able to find any of those two slotted buckel deals., if some one would please give me a link i would apreciate it! =)

You can either weld some brackets properly and install proper eye bolts to the bar behind the seat and snap your belts in or you can wrap them around the bar. Looks like you already have the slotted parts to wrap them if you choose to do so. Just make sure to either weld something to the bar to prevent the belts from spreading or clamp some collars on there. By the way, those "stiffening" bars all those import tuners sell do nothing for performance. Stop wasting your money.

i have no idea how to loop my harnesses around my bar, i tryed using the loop on the belt, but it want hold slack, and its spring loaded... i dont know how to do it now.

• National Staff

Shane,

First, are those belts 4 or 5 point? I'm betting they are 4 point.

If so, just sell them and buy a real 5 or 6 point harness setup and use the extra money from selling those bling bling JDM harness on something else!

You most likely wont be able to use the 4 point harness at NASA HPDE events! We don't allow them in our region (SoCal).

This is how you wrap the harness around the bar!

Civic%20039.jpg

DCP01431.jpg

First photo is exactly what i am referring to. To wrap, pass the belt through the slots then wrap around bar and then back through the slots and finally finish it off. Any belt mfg. has directions on how to pass the belts through those slots properly as does the CCR.

-V

there 5 point! but yea, i just dont understand what i need. or what i need to do to loop the harness around the bar, everytime i loop it with the belts own looper deal. it want hold tight, it just keeps letting slack go.

You should really download and read over the rules. Once you start modifying safety items you must follow the CCR. So the rear down tubes can not have bends in them. And while not being th greatest design the autopower cages have held up in some decent crashes. Cut or notch the rear plastics if you want to keep them in.

Also you wont be able to run your harnesses for a few reason.

A.) you don't have a fixed back seat. The CCR requires that in a race car you have a fixed back seat. Because you modified the safety system you must fallow the rules of a race car.

B.) You have no legal way to mount your 5th point. It can not run in front of the seat and come back over, which is probably how you have it set up now.

When you start modifying stuff for HPDE's you should really get a clear understanding of the rules and what you have to do to be legal and safe.