I know you have to advertise to make money but....

Valhakar

Anyone actually clicks some of these links?

Racing seats - $299/pair

Free installation kit complete with sliders. On sale for a limited time

http://www.ShopHyperformance.com

An entire site of cheap seats, none of which are going to be FIA certified. They also use familiar names to make a quick search appear to have decent quality. I know the internet is "buyer beware", but a new member to NASA could get one of these neon green death traps and pay the price with their life.

Seriously the adds should be screened beter. If I am wrong and these are quality seats for the track, please correct me.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

do seats actually have to be FIA certified??? Many only require FIA if you don't want to use a rear brace.

I agree though, many of the automatic ads are ridiculous! I don't even notice 99.9% of them

From the CCR:

(HPDE ruleset)

11.4.12 Seats

All seats must be securely fastened to the structure of the car such that they are strong enough to withstand a major impact. If replaced, the replacement seat should be installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If stock seats are to be used with a roll bar/cage, care should be taken to prevent the seat from submarining under the rollbar. Care should also be taken to prevent the occupant from hitting his/her head on the roll bar/cage. Passenger seats must meet the same requirements, per the CCR, as the driver seat, if used by passengers. Note- The passenger seat does not have to match the driver’s seat.

(Race ruleset)

15.16 Driver’s Seat

The driver’s seat must be securely fastened and braced in such a way as to minimize the possibility of breaking loose during an impact. Large fender washers and solid fabricated mounts are recommended. Seats made primarily of plastic, PVC, ABS, or other similar polymers are strictly prohibited. The installation of the seat must conform to all requirements published by the manufacturer.

15.16.1 Racing Seat

Some series require an approved racing seat. It is strongly recommend that a racing seat be installed in all vehicles. A racing seat is of solid design; not “tube and clothâ€

I'm not advocating using an adjustable seat back, but as long as it is properly fastened to the cage, I don't see a particular problem with that alone.

Now that we have head restraints, belts, AND side impact restraints, some of the pressure has been taken off of the seat (redundancy is a great thing)

Common sense is gained through experience. People come to NASAFORUMS to gain said experience. To be guided through their HPDE then early race career. A 'youngling' just starting out will see "race seats" and assume they are OK to use.

It would be akin to attending a workshop for high school seniors for Notre Dame liberal arts school and Westwood School of Video Game Design was inside the front door handing out pamphlets.