Where are the Audis?

FrankerX

Hey everyone. I've been enjoying some HPDEs with my 95 M3 and I just love it. Only thing is, it's starting to need more and more reapirs and the winter is now coming, making it difficult to give it the attention it needs. I am an Audi tech at a dealership, and I've had my eye on the V8 S4s for a while now. I've been considering selling my M3 and my A4 daily driver and going for the B6 S4 because of my knowlegde of repairing and tuning them, as well as convenient access to special tools and parts (with a discount too). The only thing is, I've NEVER seen an S4 at an HPDE. Why is that? They're pretty quick, despite being so darn heavy. Is there anyone out there who brings their V8 S4 to HPDEs? I'd like to get one, but it would have to be pretty good on track for me to justify a departure from my beloved M3. Any advise at all would be great. Thanks.

I don't know where you are located, but in Midwestern Council Of Sports Car Clubs, the hot car in B-Stock is the first gen Audi S4. It routinely beats a Subaru WRX wagon witha rear bar, cat-back, BFG G-Force KD's, and Koni inserts. A 330i with RT615's a front bar and camber plates, and my personal favorite, an 02 Altima V6 5spd with KSport coilovers and Kumho SPT's. That audi is STOCK except for Dunlop street tires (don't know the name) and OZ superleggera's. It won class by 3+ seconds at the Autobahn Country Club south track on 10/7/06. It is driven and owned by Eric Barnes.

There was a turbo S4 in HPDE 3 at Fontana (California Speedway) in March. That was the only event I attended this year, so I don't know how many he attended. I have no idea what's done to the car. I'm sure the driver was having fun, because it was raining.

EDIT: There was also a silver S4 in running in TT

Edited by Guest

I see a lot of the B5 S4 in California- the B6 S4 can still be a $35K plus car- a little pricey to tune and do any serious track time with for most folks. Mostly you will see the higher end Audi's running with ACNA events. BTW I run a 2002 TT once and awhile but looking for a 20V coupe for track car.

I think you would be disappointed going from the e36 m3 to any S4. They are heavy cars. You will always be able to make the m3 handle and brake better. S4s are a nice highway blaster, but it's not on par with the e36 m3 as a track car.

Old school Audi is the way to go.

I'm building a '90 CQ 20vt right now, hope to have it done by May.

I'll start in HPDE to get it setup/tuned, then on to PT, ST/SU, or GTS Challenge.

...The only thing is, I've NEVER seen an S4 at an HPDE. Why is that? They're pretty quick, despite being so darn heavy...

As mentioned above, most of them are at Audi Club events. The other big reason is that their weight and nose-heavy weight distribution makes them very hard on tires and brakes - your maint. budget will likely go up, not down...

A fun car, but not a good track day toy.

I've had great fun with an old Porsche 924S- tires and brakes last forever on it. I came out of a 300+ H.P. APR stage III GTI, and haven't looked back. I'm going to go spec racing with a 944 this year for about what tax would cost on a new S4.

I run an Audi B6 S4 at the Florida events. I had the car delivered with Brembo 355mm brakes and a full exhaust. I added a rear antisway bar (H&R) later and it made a big difference, helping to dial out some of the understeer. I enjoy it thoroughly, particularly the flat V8 torque curve. However, the guys are right about it being hard on tires and brakes. I switched to Toyo Proxes RA-1's for track days and it makes a big difference. If you do it, get some high temp brake pads as I have a lot of trouble with heat build-up.

Your Audi's are right here!!!!

My web page w/pics: http://www.typ85.com/home.htm

I ran "Big Willow" in May with NASA. I got down to a 1:48 by my 3rd time there in July, I only have about 160hp, but the suspension is setup fairly well.

I'm trying to make the March event at Fontana!

Specs on my car: http://webpages.charter.net/typ85/sig.rtf

ZB5V0148.jpg[/url]

I rolled a V8 S4 in my Civic two years ago at VIR Seriously though, that was a beautiful car, I think the driver was just a little afraid of the go-pedal or something.

I also almost T-boned a gorgeous Quattro Coupe at BeaveRun two years ago when my brakes gave out I apologized to the guy afterwards, who was very nice (and a great driver to boot), and then proceeded to drool all over his car.