AI West - Thill - April 14-15

V8cobra99

AI West - just 11 days before round 2 of the American Iron West championship at Thunderhill Raceway. Lets all get registered ASAP.

I am confirming if Peder will be attending to assist with Tech inspection. If Peder is not going, I will be asking one of the NorCal directors to assist me/us. We are going to be doing some additional inspections of the cars, track width, length, ride height, hardware/equipment, power, safety items, etc... Last year the NorCal event directors really scrutinized the cars.

Current standings: Pat leads the west with Team Armstrong, Keith, Andy and Ryan in hot pursuit. Who know's what the dark knight Bryan is cooking up, and Mr. Hal Massey is getting a new bullet from Griggs.

AI Total Current Standing

Patrick Lindsey 204 1

Team Armstrong 184 2

Andy Bowman 160 3

Keith Parker 160 4

Ryan Walton 154 5

Christine Knight 144 6

Paul McKee 137 7

Hal Massey 136 8

Bryan MacMillan 103 9

Mike Fitzwater 0 10

In AIX - Bill Daffron will have to continue his march for the championship, as Team Witherow and Corey Weber in AGENT47 will be in attendance to challenge the Veteran.

Bill Daffron 208 1st

Corey Weber 175 2nd

JME/JMC 135 3rd.

See you soon!

Andy B.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V8cobra99

• racercosmo

• pederb

• Pat L.

Andy,

Will there be a practice session friday afternoon? This will be my first trip to TH and would like to get in at least a few laps before saturday.

Dean

Hey Dean - good to hear from you.

Trackmaster.com is running the Friday sessions, not NASA. So, I recommend contacting them asap to get that as your test and tune day.

Andy

While I have never run with that particular group I will warn those considering it that most open track type groups are not very welcoming to racers. If one happens to be even within rifle distance of a respectable lap time they may find themselves being yelled at by a self appointed "official" when they get off track. Good chance of being kicked out of the event. I have a hard time dealing with those individuals so I usually prefer to stay away. There are even some groups that will not allow you into the paddock to setup until their event is over. Just something to consider.

-V

These guys welcome racers...Gary U and I have run with them and they are a good crew...you need to behave yourself and not race them into tight corners, etc...

These guys welcome racers...Gary U and I have run with them and they are a good crew...you need to behave yourself and not race them into tight corners, etc...

Well said. Racers trying to get in some laps during an HPDE with the intent of getting a great lap time make as much sense as.... Well, it simply does not make sense. We were all rookies at one time and we should know how it feels to be dived on before our skill and nerve has had time to mature. And I am glad to see NASA officials setting a strict tone for those racers who run with the rookies. Respect works both ways and it should be more of a message to them that "Good" drivers can drive "clean and fast" without intimidating newbies. In my opinion, it requires more skill to drive clean amongst an HPDE group than it does during a race.

You guys all have a SAFE but fun and FAST weekend, #29 will not be in attendance.

Instead, Jason (Mr. Knight) will be thrashing on Back in Black all weekend at Buttonwillow and I will be pit bitc... I mean crew--for a change. See you all in May at Infineon!

Christine

Well I'd rather be close to home at Buttonwillow with Christine and Jason, but I guess "the show" is going to be at T-Hill. Any word from Gary as to whether he'll make it out or not? How about Ryan Wilson? I'm looking forward to seeing Witherow's new whip!

Andy, I'm liking the "inspection" thing... my only concern is the amount of time it might take to look over the cars. Of course if everything is in order it should go rather quickly and I'm assuming this isn't another form of tech inspection that will keep us from practicing or qualifying (unless of course something or someone looks to be opperating outside the rules - after the fact). I ask because I'm concerned about my schedule and having enough time to put the car on track, since I still need to learn the track, much less going through any additional inspection.

I wanted to run at TH but I am still fixing that epic oil leak, I wont be back until Buttonwillow in june I think.

So, until then you wont have that "king of the DNF's" 4 cyl car in the field.

Good luck to all, and have fun.

Hey Andy, blast out a quick race report for those of us who dont go. or somebody!

Yo Pat and others... Gary Umphenour and his Dad will not be racing with us at Thill. I talked to him yesterday. He said he does plan to visit us on Saturday however. I emailed Mark and Jon Witherow, but no response just yet. I think Ryan Willson will be racing though....last I heard ....

......Heck Pat.... anything to slow you up would be awesome, as you are the man to beat....... ha..... I am gonna tow up a boat anchor just to strap to your car.....

Inspection - It will be okay. The inspections before the race will be quick and should not interfere with track time. It does not take much time to check ride height for example, and it will all be done in the pit areas. Only the weight will be done after qual and race sessions in the officials tech area, as normal. Only unless we find a car on the edge or outside the rules will extra time be required..... So double check your cars before the race...... See the rules on the AI website...

Andy

Andy, sounds good... I'm trying to figure out a spyhunter gizmo to defend against the boat anchor Too bad Gary can't make it, but at least we'll get to see the champ in the flesh.

Cosmo - You are welcome to stay in my RV/motorhome. Bring a sleeping bag. It sleeps 3 and right now, it will just be myself and Keith Parker in it. Its a 34ft Weekend Warrior toybox RV.

Andy

I spoke to Jon Witherow (Team Witherow), they are pushing hard to bring the new super AIX car to Thill and race. 500HP/Tq and all in the new SN95 chasis. If they feel it wont make it, they will bring the #04 Orange SN95 AI car, and run AIX.

Andy

What time will you start tech on Saturday? I won't be there with a car, but I'm finishing one that has been built for ITE and want to also run in AI/X. I'd like to tag along and make sure that I'm legal.

Bob

Andy,

Thanks for the call and the post!

Jon and I will be there at TH.

Hopefully with the new Cobra Red #05 car, but for sure with the #04 Orange car.

There is a lot to accomplish this week but Griggs Racing is working around the clock to finish up and test the car next week.

For the record the new #05 car is 805 HP / 585 TQ and 8800 rpm.

SVO Aluminum Block, naturally-aspirated Yates C3 Heads, Sonny B crank, Big Stuff Fuel Injection.

As we found out last year about this time that may take alittle getting use too!

So Jon and I will be going slow next weekend to hopefully GO VERY FAST SOMEDAY!

We look forward to seeing everyone!

Cosmo - You are welcome to stay in my RV/motorhome. Bring a sleeping bag. It sleeps 3 and right now, it will just be myself and Keith Parker in it. Its a 34ft Weekend Warrior toybox RV.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I'll probably be up there Sat Morning.

Dean - yes. Registration desk will have the NASA stickers, and I have sets of the Toyo stickers with me, as well as Windshield banners. The CMC group will have spares as well.

Cosmo - okay great. My current plan is to arrive Friday afternoon. Keith Parker will be towing up my RV, and I will be towing up his trailer. My RV has number #99 on the sides and back.

Everyone - Whomever gets there first, save that area for all of us to park in....

Andy

Pat - The inspections will be in the Tech area as we did last year. Cosmo and JWL will be there to assist if with all this, so we may play it by ear. Dont sweat it .... Thing to actually focus on is the rain... the reports says rain for Saturday.....

andy