daily driver with header/exhaust wrap/tape???

jon dawes

anybody with daily drivers wrap their exhaust [headers, x pipe, etc.] with the racing tape/wrap to reduce cabin temp and increase performance?

I've been around that stuff in the past, but the fact that it'll wick oil and any other liquid it comes in contact with, I'll never use it again. I'll also shorten the life of a header (or pipe) by wrapping all that heat in, as well.

funny story -

We had one race car that had a valve cover leak oil, only on right handers, right onto the wrapped header. At one point we had to tell the driver over the radio to stop be cause the fire truck that was chasing behind him, was for him.

I've used the Jet Hot coating system for the headers on my track car and it is great. No fabric to worry about, reasonable price, longer lasting and it looks great, too.

awesome! i figured as much. it's too cheap and relatively easy to do and i figured more people would have mentioned it.

do you use, or know people who use, some sort of dyno/kool mat or fiberglass insulation with a foil coating to keep the heat out of the passenger compartment? just curious. .. not the end of the world.

a lot of folks use the lightest foil mats they can find to keep down the weight, while keeping out the heat. Usually found under the drivers feet.

I have used the header wrap on my daily drivers and am considering using some on my race car in a couple places. We are not allowed ceramic coatings and the like to keep cost low. That would ultimately be the best.

As mentioned above a stick on insulator in the cabin is also good to use. I have not employed such a barrier in my car yet.

I recommend coating it in "black velvet"...I think I was recommended to that stuff from these forums too!

I've used it on many many headers now with no problems.

....you mean, like Elvis?

yeah, I think that is what he means....

ve038-1.jpg

Kinky: I am not familiar with the product, any more info?

well, on first blush my thought is "it would be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to just paint the bottom of the car with that stuff than to buy kool mat or dynamat or whatever and have to rip up the carpet and then put it back in". hmmm...

or should i just paint the headers and the cats? that scares me a little more. should it?

or should i just paint the headers and the cats? that scares me a little more. should it?

I'll let you know in three weeks. We're building headers for several not so popular imports. Right now were just testing a couple and everythings going good thus far. In three weeks we start production unless we see any other flaws

I called POR15 today to get a little more info that was not provided on the web site.

Above it was posted that someone wanted to use the Black Velvet for heat protection of some denomination or to block heat transfer. This paint is not for this use. It is only intended to provide the same benefits as painting any other piece of metal. That being improved appearance and increased corrosion resistance. Black velvet ups the anti with being able to resist 1200 or 1500 deg F. ( I forget which max temp). There is no blockage of heat transfer which is the sole purpose of this thread. A quality ceramic coating will be the only option outside of header wrap and or heat shields.

On another note then. I am impressed with the POR15 product as I have read about its use many times and have not yet tried it myself. Since my race car has recently been damaged, I am going to use some POR15 products during the re-assembly process.

Are you available on Friday's prior to NASA at summit for FATT* with BSR*?

Be sure to attend Hyperfest regardless, you might get to drive, who knows.....but I guarantee you will have a good time either way.

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com

Friday At The Track

Bill Scott Racing

honestly i can't keep up with all the events, associations, groups, etc! i'm sticking to autocross for now. i had a great time in cumberland with [non NASA group] and they have events almost every month. . . if i get into one of the HPDEs i'll go from there! so i could just go and watch at hyperfest? that would at least give me a taste of what it's like. could i volunteer to do something to get to meet peope?

When you go to Cumberland, talk to the Cobra Club guys, they are buddies of mine. They all auto cross, a couple of them come out for high speed with the rest of us.

Hoenstly, I lost interest in Autocross simply because, for all the effort involved, I get maybe 4 minutes of show time. At an HPDE event I spend that much time each session just on the cool down lap.

After your first HPDE, you will understand.

could i volunteer to do something to get to meet peope?

You will be greatly admired in the CMC paddock if you lend a hand. Even just handing out cold beers after driving for the day concludes.

Also, NASA has a worker program. Contact [email protected]. You can work 2 weekends and get credit toward a weekend of HPDE.

thanks ! i'll contact her and go from there.

for the moment, the low-risk aspect of autocross is the most attractive aspect to me. not ready to run my new car on the track risking a total loss, spend the $ on insurance, or buy a track car. . . but that's on the horizon [i hope]. it's not that i don't want to "hurt" the car. i love beating on it, or at least what little beating it can take in 4 minutes of autocross. . . blah blah blah you get the idea.

....i love beating on it,.... . . blah blah blah ....

I will say this one more time.....you have a better chance of incurring damage to your car driving on the street. Statistically this is true. Let that atleast rest your concerns. Hopefully we'll see you out here soon.

If you can drive on public highways and stay on the road, not hit anything, all while not missing traffic lights and signs (corner flags).....then you will never damage your car in HPDE 1 or 2. Its that simple.

If you are a loose canon and border on "meathead"...then perhaps keeping the car in the garage and telling people about it is the best thing to do.

Come to Hyperfest, hang out with the mustang drivers, perhaps work and earn credit....and you will be hooked. Guaranteed.

See you there. June 23-24.

oops. . . you picked that quote on purpose didn't you!? froid-ee-ahn slip. june 23-24 is summit point, right?!

oops. . . you picked that quote on purpose didn't you!? froid-ee-ahn slip. june 23-24 is summit point, right?!

honestly I didnt intend to take your comment out of context at all, but now that you mention it....that was pretty funny. You can take credit for pointing that one out.

I was just trying to show that you beat on the car on the street....its much safer to do so on the track.

Yes, hyperfest is June 23-24. Please come introduce yourself. If you bring the S197, I am sure my wife will like to check it out.

cool in da gang! i think if i bring my girlfriend, she may even get hooked herself. she ran autocross in my car and had fun, so. . .

looks like i talked her into it!!! not too keen on camping, so we'll be looking for a hotel or something close by. i'm signing up for a hyperdrive for $40 just to get my toe wet, and a ride along with a pro driver for $10. i'm most interested in meeting the HPDE crowd and feeling out the way things work! should i request you or getfast for the ride along or the hyperdrive????