POC Racer's Clinic

Chris Benbow

I went ahead and submitted my application for the clinic along with my driving history and just received news today that I have been accepted into the clinic. But they also included the following comment:

"Although you do have a good driving background with other organizations, you have spent little or no time running with the POC. As a result, we are requiring that you successfully complete 2 Racer's Clinics, as well as complete and finish 2 POC Time Trial events before your next Racer's Clinic"

Anyone else get this response? It really puts a damper on my interest.

Edited by Guest

Please don't get discouraged. I have sent an email to the POC Pres and hope to get this resolved. The POC just had a major change in players and I'm sure it'll work out O.K. The expectation was that our NASA Lic with the class in Driving Concepts would count as 1 POC racers clinic and then we would be finished and have a POC Cup Racers Lic.

Stay tuned,

Eric

I would anticipate it being straightened out as we were told earlier, and as Eric repeated. Our NASA racing licenses would cross over, pending close inspection of your racing skills during the April POC clinic, on a case by case basis. Drive smart and keep it on the track.

Eric, thanks a ton for acting as liaison and managing this problem. Keep a cool head and a good attitude you guys.

Let's show the POC some attendance numbers in our fun class. That will get 944-spec established permanently in the POC!

You guys are blazing the trail for others. Make it happen, ok?

Well, I havent even received a reply so I wonder what that means? Not sure if my car will be ready anyway as I continue to struggle with this intermitent electrical bug. Very frustrated.

Yeah, I got the same letter. Maybe we shouldn't have passed those POC 911's during the CFoS enduro

David-

I would expect you would be in the same boat. The car didn't run at the DE this weekend?

Guys,

I'm also on the phone with board members. Keep it cool, as you have done here. They are keeping a close eye on us as we are trynig to establish a new group.

Please let us know who is trying out for this weekends clinic or event?

1) Benbow (clinic)

2) Foley (clinic)

3) Grow (clinic)

4) Wilberding (clinic)

5) Marguglio (clinic if car runs?) Your car doesn't need to be fast to complete the clinic requirement David, remember that.

6) Comeau (race)

7) Scott (race)

Sorensen (race)

9) Puddester (race)

Any word on the Bernhiem's, anyone else?

P.Dilly.

I ran the DE after changing the completely shot flywheel reference sensors (I was sure that this would cure it). No dice. Problem revealed itself in the second run and by the third (I had Tim C. in the car) it was as bad as at CFoS. I ordered another airflow sensor and new plug wires, (keep throwing parts at it) but unless I find something definative, I doubt I will attend this weekend as I dont want to waste another event (two was plenty).

Edited by Guest

Guys seriously, edit posts and remove any negativity. They are evaluating again on a case by case basis. Please remove any remarks that indicate your not willing to play by POC rules, because, they are the POC's rules and you must abide by them to race. It's no different with NASA or SCCA. It's just POC's rules are different. Could you guys (Benbow, Foley and Marguglio) please forward your driving Resume's to Bill Bodine ([email protected]) who will back you guys, as long as you don't step on his trust. He's going on my word to evaluate you guys and give you backing if it's warranted, but, attitude is everything with POC. They are tough at openning the door to outsiders, but once your in the door, your a welcomed brother at every event (unless you screw up royally). Jeff I already forwarded your resume.

Dylan.

p.s. We do have eyes on us over here too!

I doubt I will attend this weekend as I dont want to waste another event (two was plenty).

Did you try swapping a computer with someone? If the car runs, even with issues, you still complete the class and get signed of. If you were going to spend a weekend diagnosing your problems, this seems a perfect one? You don't lose any race points for not being fast AND you get a sign off for POC license. Whether that 's a one and only one or a one of two is yet to be determined, but why delay the process?

I would borrow some parts. What year is your car? I know a local guy. Give me the symptoms, I'll pass them on and get a bunch of spares that you could try out and if any work, you either keep them (and pay) or buy new ones?

P.Dilly. Tryin' to help.

I have a spare dist. cap and plug wires. Is the problem fuel or spark? David, why was the rear trunk area sheet metal opened up? Fuel tank messed with? Call Sean at AUTOBAHN for other spare parts. 619.444.2290. I believe your car is wearing the AUTOBAHNPARTS.COM decals.

OK an update. The position of the "other" race clinics is being evaluated by the powers. So, it may be just a hiccup. Bill Bodine is putting his name and rep on the line here and he will also be in the clinic. So, if this is rectified and it goes back to the understood qualifications (meaning one class for you guys), be sure to thank Bill because whether they turn it back around or not, Bill is in there busting his you know what's to TRY to make it happen. Be sure to keep it clean and on the track too. Hey, I think there should be about 4 (or 5 if Marguglio's quit complaining and comes out ) so, you can do the clinic drills together. Nurse each other around in a clean manner?

P.Dilly. Keepin' you appraised.

O.K. guys here is the deal. All of the guys need to send Jeff Melnick the date you took the "Driving Concepts" class by Carl McGinn or any other Clinics you took. The POC is willing to let us in upon verification you completed the class. You will need to complete the POC's Clinic and show good attitude and then you will be evaluated for POC lic or recommended for another clinic. The POC wants to ensure they put good/clean drivers on the track. I think all of you have done the Driving Concepts class so this should not be an issue. There was a communication issue when Chris Burns left and that has now been resolved. We have an opportunity here so lets put our best foot/tire forward. Jeff's email is [email protected]. Also copy me on the email. [email protected]. Sorry for the confusion but I think it's straightened out now so lets do the Clinic and have some fun. The POC just wants everyone to be safe and go home in one piece.

Call if you have any questions. 714-366-1389

Good luck,

Eric

Thanks Eric and Pete. As suggested I emailed my driving resume to both Bill and Jeff. I'm looking forward to getting away for another weekend with the boys...even you David

NP! I hope all goes well and the 944 God shines down upon us for another wonderful weekend. Tim you best join us!!! Let the smack talk begin!! Dylan get your car up to speed so I can spank you without any whinny excuses.

Eric "I'm peddling as fast as I can" Sorensen

Thanks for your smooth effort, Eric (the great Dane) Sorensen.

Things like this, small communication problems that can turn into big ones, are best handled with a soft touch and a big smile.

Struggling to make it racing this weekend. $$$$

My cans of soup have been packed and ready to go for weeks! There's something in that soup..............

Are you not coming now Tim? Perhaps I should keep my mouth shut incase my car is not complete?

How about we thank Bill Bodine for contacting Chris Burns for clarification and then bringing that to the attention of the decision makers?

Thanks Bill B.

P.Dilly.

Ok so what happens if you have Full PCA Club Race License, Full NASA license, but never did the Driving concepts School?

I go my NASA based on my PCA Club Race experience.

So would I still need two Clinic's to race POC? This is mostly a hypothetical since I won't be doing many POC event anyway, but just curious?

BTW...

I did see a POC date at PIR this fall? Any of you guys planning on making that trip? I won't have POC license for that event, but since I live 10 min from PIR I'd be probably dropping by to check out the show!

For now, I'd like to see Eric continue acting as liaison. Organizationally, it's best if all of our communication comes from one point.

I absolutely want to thank all people involved for helping our drivers enrichen their driving experience. But, let's wait for the right time.

I'm still trying to make it. Now there's a $100 late fee involved. I'll more than likely drive the car up regardless. I'll instruct or help with race management or whatever.

Joe,

I'll ask this weekend. I just went through alot getting the guys into this event and I'd like to see how these guys do first. If all goes well we can then ask to allow other schools/Lic. The POC is very tight on the requirements and they will have a very watchful eye on us this weekend. I'm sure once they see the great attitude and comraderie we have then they'll realize us 944's guys are worth the chance.

Eric

PS - Tim the offer is still open.

Eric, got it roomie. We'll see. It all helps.

Joe, based on my past conversations with Chris Burns, you should be able to attend one POC clinic. You were the poster child for crossing over a NASA license to a POC racing license. With 15-20 races under your belt, why wouldn't that experience count? So it should be easy for you.

I'd love to make the trip out to PHX. I really enjoy "the Bullring" PIR.

Tim... Poster Child...

Well my resume has grown alot during the year. I now have 40 or so raced under my belt between, NASA, PCA, and ASRA.

With that kind of experience I think attending two clinics is crazy. Even 1 is bit much. I figure what racing info do they plan to teach to such a racer. Not that they have nothing left to learn, but would that one event change them? I think not. I do however agree that POC should be able to evaluate the driver attitude to ensure that is in line with POC objectives. In my sometimes warped mind I would that an interview with a POC official and a one event provisional period would suffice. Basicly a talk to understand your intention and to inform of POC objectives and standards followed by two races were you are watched to ensure you are not an idiot on the track and then you could get full POC.

So one racer clinic seems a bit excessive, but acceptable. If it takes TWO and some time trial events then it seems not worth the effort.

Well that is my $0.02...

Eric thanks for working with POC on this issue!

Hey David,

Bring your car anyway, we'll swap stuff out with other cars. If there still is a problem, you can use my 944#11 car to complete the clinic. It's typically a separate run group.

Dennis

Dennis, you are the consummate gentleman racer! I have recently reached the same conclusion and will be there regardless. Any and all help will be greatly appreciate and rewarded with wine and women (but likely without the women). With all of the hubbub regarding POC waiving the 2 clinic requirement, no one has talked about test day on Friday. Is anyone still doing it? Is Rick White participating?