Willow race report

Tim Comeau

Yep............had the "NOS" turned up full. ( No One Spared).

..........................................................................................................

But, seriously. We're back at Willow next weekend, and there was still time out there. I was using up older, flatspotted tires. John Chambers helped with the shocks and pit work. We'll work on optimizing the sway bars next. The car is much faster through the turns with the rest of the suspension on it! Last time we were at Willow(last fall), the best I could do was a low 1:38.... . This time I wasn't slowing down very much to enter turn 9.

My car weighed 2680 with me and a half tank this time. I'll try to strip another 50 lbs before the weekend.

So:

1. Lose another 50 lbs.

2. Use some round tires.

3. Adjust sway bars for Willow.

4. Drive faster!

5. Tune suspension by core tire temps.

----------------------------

= 1:35's

(hopefully!)

It's out there. It's been done before with a slower class 924S.

I'm hungry!!

Blah blah blah, me me me.

Did you break down on the way home Timmy? Was that what you were saying? I made it home but, the car kept cutting out when dropping down through the gears to slow but NOT keeping the revs up as you would do on the track? And the cutting out when hot but no later that night when it had cooled down. Sound familiar to anyway? The fuel pump was stopping at the track at idle and when I would drive away it wanted to shudder a little like the clutch (it did the same on the drive home at regular operating temps). But later at home it did not cut out at idle and it did not shudder taking off in first gear.

I need some serious Jenny Craig. That 150 #'s over did not include any kind of fuel load, so add another 30#'s to that? Putting me at about 2,790? I'm going to lose the door glass and perhaps part of the doors, head light bar and motor, cat, bumper pads? What else? No power steer, completely gutted interior except some of the dash I could cut off?

P.Dilly.

Tim,

Good job with times at Willow. The more I learned about that track and these cars the more I figured it was possible.

Willow is an odd track due to the speed and number of banked corners.

I know I had to reset my driving to take advantage of the banking in 1, 2 and 4. I think I did ok in 4, but never felt I got 100% from 1 to 2. Turn 9 is flat, but so wide that good line with being smooth with the car undoublty helps to get the car to go around. Upset the car or be jerky in anyway and you loose time or grip.

What were the air temps?

I think it was still pretty warm in September when you setting 1:38's out there. I know iwt was something like 105F when I turned my high 1:39. Of course that was without most of my front spoiler too. At PIR in February I could feel the difference in HP from the moring in cool 50-60F air to the after noon and the 60-75F air. I was getting into 5th gear much sooner after coming out of turn 9 in the morning.

When I get my car back up and running I need to get out there in the cooler months to take crack at the 1:36.xxx range.

Dylan,

No! Don't cut the @#$%& dash board! It makes the car look like @#$%^&!!!!

It's not neccessary.

I did have an alternator failure on the way home, Dilly. And the cell phone was low, too. We swapped batteries with the Volvo chase vehicle, got a jump, and drove the race car on the battery the rest of the way down to John Chamber's house. Nice to have John along.

I'd think about keeping the windows because it's nice to be able to close them for weather and secure parking at night, especially when the car is full of gear. Gotta get mine working again!

Thanks Joe. I think the ambient temp. was in the 80's? Guys?

I knew first session Sunday morning was the time to really push it hard. Nice and cool temps.

That makes me believe in the importance of (legally) keeping the intake charge temp down. No taking in air from behind the radiator.

I might try to make it so I can quickly remove the glass at the track? So I can slip it in and out for driving/parking and racing?

It's not hard to make weight if you have a bolt in cage perhaps? I discussed with Jeff and I feels the weld in cages are probably heavier which seems true as both cars (current and previous) were heavy with the same options out or in as others.

P.Dilly.

Dilly-meister,

No doubt. Custom cages have more tubes and thus more weight. I'll need to get creative to shave another 50 lbs off my racer.

Just for comparison...

I have a custom cage 1.75 x.095 and have trouble meeting min weight.

I am too LIGHT

I have 60lbs of ballast (stock passengers seat + 30 lbs of barbell weights) in the car to keep my car 2610-2620 with an empty tank of gas.

I weigh in at 152 lbs most days.

The car still has fully functional power windows with stock glass and stock door panels.

Also in place are a gutted heater box, fresh air blower motor, stock battery, and full dash.

Don't look at me I'm in the same boat as Joe. Except I weigh 220!!

Try thinking light thoughts!!!

P. Dilly, If you're full of hot air shouldn't you weigh less????

Holy Crap Joe, where is the weight gone from? What happened to that link of weight savings? Was that on here, or I'm I thinking of the 993 weight savings off Rennlist? It must be those lead filled rims Tim picked up for me?

P.dilly.

I hate to admit it but Tim's doing pretty good. He put on a clinic in the orange cup race at the end of the day Sun. He started at the front of the grid of 8 other spec cars and intentionally drifted to the back of the last 944 then spent the rest of the race moving back up through all of the cars eventually finishing at the front again. Impressive to watch but very annoying all the same.

Enjoy it while you can Tim!!!

P. Dilly, If you're full of hot air shouldn't you weigh less????

I would think so, no wonder I'm heavy and NOT light like yourself. DOH!!!

Awwww, I'm not special.............You guys just aren't trying hard enough.

Ya gotta keep asking yourself, "Where is the time going?"

Gotta go fix an alternator problem now. I'd hate to miss a chance to get on the podium and win some NASA/TOYO TIRES bucks!

You need to host the pictures somewhere (a server somewhere) and then you can link to them. You know we should all pay a fee (websites can be hosted for $10 a month) and use that as a location of hosting pictures from the events.

I did post a couple pics from the event on the weekend on "another" site.

Cheers,

P.Dilly.

Geee Tim - Thanks for lagging back, hope i didn't mess up your back by putting my bumper where it didn't belong.

I know I'm only a 1st time racer with the Anderson Motorworks car, but it was fun following your zebra around the track for most of the race and even passing you was fun. I'll try not to pinch you off in turn one the next time.

You're the King (now), but even Petty eventually retired or succumbed to defeat. Yea, we can keep up with you!

Additionally, it was a pleasure meeting all of you, spending most of the weekend in the Racer's clinic with you, and racing with all of you.

David Ray, You didn't pinch me off in turn 1. I would have remembered that and we would have had a "Timmy talk." Trust me, that's something to avoid. You did just fine. A little TOO fine. That's why the car went to scales. It did come in light at 2580 with a quarter tank, so let's get some more gear, ballast, or fuel in there. Leave some fudge factor room too because all scales aren't the same.

Chris, Paul, Tom, Joe, Dylan,

Thanks for the nice comments. They help to counter-act the ego beatings I take from the other guys and my wife.