Mythical lightweight 4-cylinder

horsewidower

Well we are getting close guys. Of course, I said that about this time last year . Its interesting to go back and look at the old posts. I must not have done anything for about a year!! We have been fighting with the Haltech computer system for about 3 weeks, hopefully we'll get it sorted out this weekend. No promises on when we will get it to the track. With a new car, I mean all new, it'll need some testing. My goal is to be ready to race with you next year. I'll need to get a NASA license, its currently with that other sanctioning body. At this point we are down to:

Finish the tune on the mule lump motor.

Finish the little bit left on the fire system.

Finish the plumbing on the accusump.

Mount the windows, seat and harness.

Minor painting.

Test, test, test.

Mount the splitter and wing.

Test, test, test.

P1020401.jpg

P1020407.jpg

H

I am very curious to see the power it will put down. Are you expecting to reliably put down the numbers these were putting down? Or will you have detuned somewhat? http://www.merkurclub.net/images/Roush_XR4Ti_6.jpg

It should be near power wise with the bo-ported ARCA head? Great build from what I have been following on svoca. A little scope creep it sounded like. lol

I would check the rules if you are running AI and not AIX. I could be wrong but I thought accusump's were illegal in AI

I would check the rules if you are running AI and not AIX. I could be wrong but I thought accusump's were illegal in AI

Wrong. Accusumps are perfectly legal. Dry sumps aren't allowed though.

Its even allowed in CMC !

8.18.1 Pressure accumulators/aftermarket oil pans

Eligible cars may have one or both of the following devices installed: 1. Oil pressure accumulator:

An oil pressure accumulator such as an Canton Accusump or Moroso accumulator is allowed. Any oil lines that pass through the passenger compartment must be metal or metal braided and must be securely fastened and safely routed as per the NASA CCR.

What do you want to see?

Everything. literally. If there is a detailed build site, I would love to see it.

I hope to see this car up close some time.

Best of luck !

Oh my.....faint.gif

That is similar to the color I might go with on my new 4cyl car: nervous.gif

0860.jpg

Or I might do a Grabber Blue.

That thing you got there looks SICK!!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. We hope to have it running for an open test day at Thunderhill in November.

We've had some crank trigger issues, I should have them worked out soon. We did get it to run with some swapping of plug wires and timing off bdc (yeah it was a little rube goldburgish) That was a thrill. And trying to run 1000cc injectors are a new experience in tuning.

We really are down to a few small items. If I can keep from wanting to throw wrenches at the thing (after three years its like a girlfriend that you can't wait to dump) we will have it running well soon.

Bob

In that case, once it is running, and you hit the track, it will be like a 3 year girlfriend that you finally got in the sack after lots of candy and flowers (parts and more parts) it will be great until she has a mood swing and breaks or bends. Or in my case she pukes all over the track and you want to throw her out of the house.

Why wouldn't it be competitive?

Yeah, I know, there has been some discussion about needing high horsepower in order to overcome the aerodynamic drag and that having a heavier car with higher horsepower would be advantageous. I run the same software packages and can come up with all kinds of results by changing the parameters. Only time, and racing will tell.

I will primarily race at Thunderhill, Sears Point and Laguna Seca. the car was set up for those tracks. I'd like to go to Willow Springs and try it there. If it doesn't work, I can always turn up the boost and run AIX or add weight!

Bob

Why wouldn't it be competitive?

Yeah, I know, there has been some discussion about needing high horsepower in order to overcome the aerodynamic drag and that having a heavier car with higher horsepower would be advantageous. I run the same software packages and can come up with all kinds of results by changing the parameters. Only time, and racing will tell.

I will primarily race at Thunderhill, Sears Point and Laguna Seca. the car was set up for those tracks. I'd like to go to Willow Springs and try it there. If it doesn't work, I can always turn up the boost and run AIX or add weight!

Bob

Turn up the boost and let's play in AIX. You really get to see what these cars are capable of. I am shooting for a 1:50 - 1:51 at Thunderhill this November if I make it out.

It would actually be easier to run the car as an AIX car, given that we will also run in ITE. The problem is the car count is a little light (as you know!)

The problem with AI is that I'll have to knock 150hp or more out of the motor so I'll either have to size the turbo and other engine components for one series or the other and not have the optimum setup for both. That's why AIX is enticing.

Now if we could just get Paul to quit working on his house and come play, it would be fun!!

Bob

I would'nt worry too much about Paul Brown or car count just yet if I were you. Get that car trackworthy, safe, reliable, tuned, and the driver comfortable before expecting to battle with Paul Brown right off the bat.

Paul will be out racing with us again when he's darn good and ready. In the meantime, go out race and have fun.

I didn't mean to imply that I'm even close to being ready to battle with you or Paul. That would be badly misjudging my own talent and our current state of preparation.

Couldn't agree more on the priority of things. We are a long way from being trackworthy, safe, reliable, tuned or comfortable. But we are working on it.

Thanks

Bob

• 6 months later...