Mythical lightweight 4-cylinder

horsewidower

I also want an update. I saw this car at Thunderhill on March 8. He was running in TT. I talked to someone in his pit area and I think he was having turbo problems. What happened?

We were out testing the chassis, it was just great right off the trailer. The engine, well that's another story. Had no transitional throttle to speak of, thing was running horribly fat, when it would clear its throat it was a rocket. But you didn't know if it was going to do it on a straight or the middle of a corner . We have a huge radiator which kept us from getting any heat into the engine, I think the ECU was confused by that and kept it in a start up mode with a fattened up fuel curve. When we tested the car at an airstrip by us, it didn't exhibit any of those characteristics. We thought we wouldn't have to worry about the engine, instead it made us into a moving chicane. I felt bad for the TT guys we were running with. I think I gave more pass by signals than an entire class of HPDE.

Finally in the fourth session, it blew. Cracked 4 pistons in the exact same spot. We're putting together two more short blocks, than its back to test and tune. We probably won't be out to race until the fall.

A couple of pics:

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

P1020933.jpg

The wing and splitter aren't on it yet, but you can get the general idea.

Bob

Camera angle is everything. Its just one of 100 plus pictures I took.

I can hold the smart end of a tape measure .

Camera angle is everything. Its just one of 100 plus pictures I took.

I can hold the smart end of a tape measure .

I am sure you can read a tape....but are you measuring to the correct spot?! there was a lot of confusion on this in our region in 2006...luckily, said person was still legal.

to build on this question...should the ride height be measured on both sides of the car and WITH the driver in the car at post-race weight?! Seems correct but my car has been measured 5 times and I wasn't sitting in it!

Excellent point. I've never measured it with fat Bob (that would be me) sitting in it. I'll have to do that, thanks.

Bob

I am sure you can read a tape....but are you measuring to the correct spot?! there was a lot of confusion on this in our region in 2006...luckily, said person was still legal.

to build on this question...should the ride height be measured on both sides of the car and WITH the driver in the car at post-race weight?! Seems correct but my car has been measured 5 times and I wasn't sitting in it!

Although I'm personally nowhere close, I'd like to hear an official clarification of the ride height rule, and where and how it's measured.

How is a "Stock front clip" defined? I am just trying to understandd this rule, sorry.

Steve

Gotta be "OEM" Whatever that means?!

I'd like to hear an official clarification of the ride height rule, and where and how it's measured.

Me too. How about some pics.

I did a HPDE a while ago at Infineon. There happened to be a few Griggs Racing employees at the event. I talket to one of the guys at Griggs the day after the event. I told them that I was at the track the day before and he immediately know who I was, because he remembered my car. He then said I was the guy with the car that was way too low. I thought that my car was at the minimum AI ride height. I would love to see how to measure this.

I'd like to hear an official clarification of the ride height rule, and where and how it's measured.

Me too. How about some pics.

I did a HPDE a while ago at Infineon. There happened to be a few Griggs Racing employees at the event. I talket to one of the guys at Griggs the day after the event. I told them that I was at the track the day before and he immediately know who I was, because he remembered my car. He then said I was the guy with the car that was way too low. I thought that my car was at the minimum AI ride height. I would love to see how to measure this.

Sign up for next weekends Infineon event and AI tech will show you how it's done.

I appreciate everyone's interest in the car. It does constantly seem to provoke "rules" discussions. Why don't we just let the thread die. I'll bring it back up when the car actually runs worth a damn, has been presented to Peder and Co. for tech and have something to report.

By the way its "mythical" because a turbo 2.3 weighs more than a properly kitted out 302. My little joke.

Thanks again for the encouragement, if you want to go racing, don't try this (turbo 2.3) at home.

Bob