Paint/graphics ideas. Dylan post that Aussie link here!

Tim Comeau

Hey guys, Check out some of the paint and graphics ideas used on the Australian series cars! I really like the green/white striped car( a la Benbow) . The black, white and pink is cool. I also see some digital graphics being used with the concentric circle "ripple" effect and some fades. Dividing the car into top and bottom halves with 2 colors is nice, too. And those naughty girls.....................

Timmy we need a new/bigger font for our numbers!! Timing and scoring wanted to see mine as they said it was a bit hard to read. I ended up making the numbers bigger with black tape. Just a thought.

What do you guys think? We have to abide by the different club's rules with respect to number size. I haven't had any complaints yet.

This was just for the "Tribute" as they had a manual BU system in place. This is the first complaint I've had but it would seem that a bigger easier to read font would be better. If we pick a common font any shop could cut us new numbers.

Eric,

I actually thought to myself over the weekend that your "front" number was hard to read but not due to size, it was because of the way you had added the "1". Maybe that was the problem rather than the size? They are pretty big numbers?

P.Dilly.

I'm ok with whatever font but was actually thinking our number panels were too big. At least too wide. I was comparing them to the Grand Am and Speed World Challenge panels which look to be about 1/2 the size of ours in width. It would give people more flexibility with their graphics and be easier to apply without diminishing visibility. Probably cheaper too.

If we did make a change, I would advocate smaller panels, bold block fonts, and maybe get a sponsor to pony up for their name in the header space (e.g. B&M shifters, Remus Sportexhaust).

I really like the green/white striped car( a la Benbow) .

You mean this one.....

Picture%20028.jpg

That's my buddy Jed's car. That was the car I mentioned that Mr. Bana was testing in. I like it too and that is the green I would have liked to get. Unfortunately it was not available. DOH!

Here is the link : http://www.aporschapart.com/944Challenge/CarsDrivers.htm

P.Dilly.

Great looking car! BUT,.........the seat, steering wheel and window net are on the wrong side of the road.

I wonder how much faster our cars would be with plex rear window and fiberglass hoods? Perhaps if we deviate from PHX rules at some point (ala POC) we may consider a new weight. Or for those that are having a hard time making weight, i.e. those with a custom cage, or those that want to keep their comforts (power windows, lights, etc.) they could make weight with rear glass, hood, etc. Just a thought.

Unforttunately then some will argue about "where" some peopole get to save weight. Taking it out of the glass rear and the hood is high up on the car. But, I am one of those having trouble making weight. I think someone tried to fill my car with lead and sink it to the bottom of the Pacific!!

P.Dilly.

Yeah, the turbo nose is alot more attractive, and the wheels are lighter, and they both cost more money.

Dave, I was thinking that in a couple years, if and when drivers start getting bored with our car's performance, we could drop the weight by allowing fiberglass hoods, fenders, etc. I'm not sure about the rear hatch. It would be a bitch to keep it clean and scratch free. Though between the hood and the hatch and a few other things, we could drop 100 more pounds, hey? That would make the cars a little more lively, reset the index for all the track records, and make the cars faster relative to other classes. But that's down the road........................

Let's get 'em all built and racing first.

COST is why.

Ok so we spend $1000 on lightweight parts. Guess what we all go 1-2 seconds faster. Guess what? It feels exactly the same on the track except that well have $1000 less bucks in our pockets.

Lets keep the cars as they are. Remember we want to keep this class good for new folks to come it.

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Custom cages do not always add weight. I have custom 1.75 x .095 cage and have to add 60lbs of balast just to make 2600lbs. I also still have my fully fucntional power windows.

P Dilly,

Have you removed the heat sheidling on the firewall? That is 20lbs i'd bet.

Joe I am in the same boat as you. I have a custom cage with NASCAR style doors and last time I got weighed it was 2620 with almost 1/2 tank of gas. So I guess I can still have my double cheeseburgers!!

Sorry, but I gotta cry BS on the glas hood and lexan hatch.

I have both of these, for my next racecar (GTS4 931), but they're not 100# weight difference over stock. Hank's weight savings estimates (GT-Racing catalog) are optimistic, to say the least. I wouldn't expect a weight loss of more than 60# for the pair. The hatch is big and heavy, yes; the hood not so much. As it is, the glass for the rear hatch weighs 48# (glass alone) as I recall. Given that you still have to use the frame and wing, it's not the claimed 80# weight savings.

I also have to agree with the cost/speed tradeoff comment. If everyone's on the same footing, why allow these? Why not buy new Hoosiers every weekend? Faster, more expensive, but is it any more fun?

P Dilly,

Have you removed the heat sheidling on the firewall? That is 20lbs i'd bet.

Is that in the engine bay or inside? I'm guessing the silver lined fiberglass sheet in the engine bay? No. Items left that I can think of are headlight motor/bar and electric windows. BUT, I think with the way my car handles, I'd be happy if I can just get it running right as I think it will be fast then?

P.Dilly.

I certainly understand your desire to keep the costs down, but here is the problem. If we agree that everyone is going to run at the same weight then what difference does it make? I believe, and I think some others have experienced, that some cars are just heavier than others, be it the car itself or the cage, the desire to keep one's headlights so they can drive home from the track, or just the driver's fat azz. But with no flexibility (not allowing a few descrete changes) some cars, mine included, are going to always be heavier than everyone elses' and how is that equal??? I, for one, am frustrated with this because I have taken everything that I am willing (or able in the case of the firewall insulation) to take off and still cant make weight.

I vote for oval number plates with very clear, bold numbers. Just my .02 .

s

Bit late Steve? Too many cars with the square'ish plates and duplicate number fonts? Would not be quite so uniform to change now?

David,

I have the same problem as you (plus I guess I've eaten too many cheeseburgers). There is no question that some cars are just lighter. Despite having an early car the same as Joe P. taking almost everything off, I am still about 80lb over his car weight. I will just have to work harder to reach the limit. As I have done everything Joe did plus taken out the heater core and windows, there are a only few more options for me: replace the early starter with the late model one, remove the headlight motor assy and replace with some kind of manual way to keep the lights up and remove the insulation on the firewall. I think my locally built cage is overly heavy so a final option is to sell it and replace with one of the lighter cages (smaller diameter higher strength tubing) and go on a diet!

There you guys go with that "Diet" thing again. I won't hear of it!! Nope!! Not me! Make mine a double cheese with Chili.