hypo: getting out of disabled car at HPDE?

jon dawes

If exiting oak tree you lost power, coasting to the hot pit for the south paddock

oops, hypo should have read 'after passing the South Paddock'.

And please note jon, that your car does not NEED a cold air kit or any filtration for that matter in order to run. You DO however need to have the mass air sensor attached. If it were to come loose allowing the motor to draw in unmetered air, that would cause trouble.

not sure how you're car's set up, but i'm assuming it's very close if not the same. the sensor is inside the tube. if the tube pops off, by necessity the sensor is no longer functioning and the throttle body sucks however much air is there. my '07 died on me almost immediately going over Key Bridge last week when the CAI popped off [K&N design flaw if you ask me]. hence the source of this hypo. . .

As far as the comment above about KNOWING what is wrong with your car and that you knew before hand.....are you kidding? I never take my car out onto the track KNOWING something is wrong. I would just assume SKIP a session or an entire DAY for that matter, then risk an on track failure.

HEY BUDDY: IT'S MY DAMN HYPO! if you don't like it, tough! [this is what they tell you in law school if you don't like the hypo] and you might be misreading the hypo: you obviously don't know something is wrong when you go out. but if something happens that you know/suspect has happened before [loose wire, clogged flux capacitor, bad turn signal valve, worn muffler bearing, etc.], there may be a chance to fix it quickly if you have the worker's permission or are in a protected spot.

But again, the point is DON'T GET OUT OF THE CAR unless you/car's on fire. . . unless some highly unlikely circumstance exists that it is SAFE and you have PERMISSION to do so [see supra]. I think I'll just stay in the car if something known or unknown happens to avoid any question as to my intelligence/safety.

ps: i also acknowledge/appreciate that this is a forum and if something happens out there, the CCRs and Officials have the final say. . . i'm not planning on saying 'but you said on the forum that ____________'

Edited by Guest