2008 rules??

Red Tornado

Look at it this way, you are earning interest (or saving credit card interest) on the money you aren't spending!

event in one month. Need the new rules, or need to completely skip revisions for '08.

Can't understand the lack of getting rules out on a timely manner.

Should have been done 2-3 weeks after nats, imo.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Tom A

• 1LapSRT

• Varkwso

The Norcal Tentative schedule has been posted, whereas the Socal one is MIA. Unless, is the Socal Tentative schedule posted elsewhere? Moving on, what about the rules? Im fairly new to TT, so its a bit more difficult to deal with this sort of transition. Does anyone have an idea of when the new rules will be coming out? Any major changes? Im left sitting around waiting. Time is of essence. Some of us dont have the luxury of making changes to our cars on the fly.

Look at it this way, you are earning interest (or saving credit card interest) on the money you aren't spending!

event in one month. Need the new rules, or need to completely skip revisions for '08.

There are a LOT of rules considerations to go through. Plus there is a rules review committee so Greg doesn't have singular control. Greg posted the process somewhere else in the forums, and it is quite a deal. Something like 4 to 6 rewrites for each rule. And Greg has a day job, so you gotta cut him some slack. Consider yourself lucky to be able to race in January. We're stuck dreaming about racing until April.

And if he posted a 'up for review' list - I'm afraid the servers would crash from the response.

There are a LOT of rules considerations to go through. Plus there is a rules review committee so Greg doesn't have singular control. Greg posted the process somewhere else in the forums, and it is quite a deal. Something like 4 to 6 rewrites for each rule. And Greg has a day job, so you gotta cut him some slack. Consider yourself lucky to be able to race in January. We're stuck dreaming about racing until April.

And if he posted a 'up for review' list - I'm afraid the servers would crash from the response.

Hey, it's not my fault you choose to live in a place that it gets cold, snows, and is miserable. I wised up and moved outta that crap, i think.

However, just like last year, we'll run 2-3 events under one set of rules, then immediately have to somehow change to run the same class we were previously running.

Rules committee or not, the squeeky wheel gets the oil. If we don't keep asking, and keep the pressure on, they'd never even start to get it done.

Nasa has the ability to become a great organization, but it has to suit it's participants. Having the rules established PRIOR to the start of the season, doesn't seem too much to ask, imho.

Rules committee or not, the squeeky wheel gets the oil. If we don't keep asking, and keep the pressure on, they'd never even start to get it done.

wouldnt that mean you'd get to run the whole season without rule changes?

• National Staff

Sorry guys. We thought that we would have them out by Mid-November, but there were too many factors that prevented this. We are not planning on substantial changes at this point--really looking closer at how things are written/defined. We are considering some changes for '09 already, and we will decide on those and publish them in May '08 if we decide to go with them. We appreciate all of the input that our competitors have given us over the year. Some of the ideas make sense to us, but they would require at least six months pre-notification to our drivers before we implement them.

One change that is definitely a "possibility" for '08 is that the Nitto NT01 tire could go up in points. If you currently use them, you might want to factor in a few extra points (2) into your TTA-TTF calculations.

In general, I would guess that most of you won't be effected by '08 rules changes. There will be a few base class adjustments, though. Also, if you have an '07 model that came out late and is not specifically classed in the rules, or an '08 model, DO NOT assume that it will stay in the same class as the prior years. Please send me an e-mail so we can make sure that it is specifically addressed for you. One example is that the newest C6 Vettes will not be permitted in TTA.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope NT01s stay as-is in pts. Even 1pt more would be enough to put me back on RA1s or R888s. Great deal for Toyo, but unfortunately it will hit my tire budget hard, since it's a $40 per tire difference. Same compound as the NT01, only it costs more.

One change that is definitely a "possibility" for '08 is that the Nitto NT01 tire could go up in points. If you currently use them, you might want to factor in a few extra points (2) into your TTA-TTF calculations.
Why? Aren't NT01s the same compound as Toyo RA1s, but molded with a shorter tread depth?

Is it that much different than a shaved Toyo?

Why? Aren't NT01s the same compound as Toyo RA1s, but molded with a shorter tread depth?

Is it that much different than a shaved Toyo?

From what I understand the RA1 is the same compound as the 555RII and the NT01 is a new compound.

I think I speak for alot of people when I say that even a 1 point swing for a modification would throw a wrench in our plans

(say 19 total points, then something changes and leaves you at 20 and in the next higher class...)

I think I speak for alot of people when I say that even a 1 point swing for a modification would throw a wrench in our plans

(say 19 total points, then something changes and leaves you at 20 and in the next higher class...)

Look on the bright side! It just gives you 19 more points to play with.

From what we were all told by Greg at the last TT event (two weeks ago), we should count on the Nitto being a +7, and some of the rules being more clearly defined to prevent people from finding loopholes.

So assume you'll be adding points if you run Nittos, and be concerned if you're borderline/cheating/bending rules on anything.

Look on the bright side! It just gives you 19 more points to play with.

if you're cutting the checks to pay for 19 more modification points worth of stuff, then sure

I'd like to know 2 things really:

- what items are up for change, even if its just 1 point

- what (if anything) will change with regards to alternate weight method & ballast allowed

that'll make a vast difference in what I'll be shopping for this offseason... as I'm sure it will for MANY MANY other serious competitors

When 1 pt throws you from TTA to TTS it is a dang expensive proposition to stay competitive....

I optimized on Nitto NTO1s for $$ reasons - the cost for 315 NT01s are half what it costs me for 295 Rs (Hoosier and Kumho only options). So yeah it hurts...and means I will have to make hardware changes, again, to stay in TTA.

Base classing changes can be painful also if it goes against your model ...

ok, so because we have an event in 3 -4 weeks, my nitto order will now cost me some more points.

I guess thats fair.

Can we have a date on when we'll see rules? i mean, anything? feed me a bone here?

Guys, this is nothing new. Even SCCA doesn't have official rules out yet. Greg gave us a heads up about the Nitto's (tks Greg).

BTW check out the Hankook contingency money!

Wait, i thought that the NT01 has a treadwear rating of a 100? And based on the 07 rules, DOT approved R compound tires with a treadwear rating of 100 or greater are assessed with a +5, whereas tires with a treadwear rating of 50-90 are assessed with a +7. Does this mean that NASA now considers all tires that have a treadwear rating of 100 to be assessed with a +7? And what about the R888? Will that also fall into the +7 category?

Sounds like they are making an exception for the Nitto based on experience with the new tire. It doesn't sound like they are making changes to the points assigned to other tires. As I recall, the R888 is supposed to be a direct replacement for the RA-1 so it'll probably get the same +5 and at the end of the year, if it proves to be a significant step up from the RA, it could get bumped, too.