• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• getfast

• snk

• Renntag

• mcolangelo2005

from what i hear, it is true. you may have seen a black 4 door e36 this summer running around vir and summit point. that was the prototype, but you didn't hear it from me!!!

On http://www.bimmerforums.com somebody mentioned that NASA was considering creating a Spec series featuring non-M E36's. Similar to the BMW CCA's Spec E36 but with a simpler ruleset. Is this true?

It is 100% true. I'm sure everyone will hear a lot more about it once the ruleset is finalized...

Jon

On http://www.bimmerforums.com somebody mentioned that NASA was considering creating a Spec series featuring non-M E36's. Similar to the BMW CCA's Spec E36 but with a simpler ruleset. Is this true?

It is 100% true. I'm sure everyone will hear a lot more about it once the ruleset is finalized...

Jon

Thanks, Jon. How soon can we expect to see the finalized rule set?

They are in the final revision draft stage this month, with one more day of track testing planned, to answer questions about a couple of small changes. Then the ruleset goes to National for approval. The goal is to have 'em out during the first quarter of '08 if not sooner.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

They will not be similar enough to cross over (different wheels/tires, suspensions, differentials, DME's, etc.) However, any legal logbooked BMWCCA Spec E36 should be welcome to run with NASA in a GTS or PT class...

Jon

.... The goal is to have 'em out during the first quarter of '08 if not sooner....

This is good to hear. I have a couple students with E36 3s that are looking toward competition.

• 1 month later...

I was all excited about this new series, but then I learned that NASA will be requiring head and neck restraints with SFI certification. That pretty much killed it for me.

I'd rather spend more for a superior device.

Perhaps some sort of force field?

I would, if it were available and if the cost to benefit ratio is acceptable.

For me, I guess that's what it really comes down to: cost to benefit ratio.

If a force field safety device was available to you for the same or a few hundred bucks more than an SFI 38.1 certified device, would you forgo the force field?

I would choose a safety device that would give me a higher chance of survival in a nasty crash, than take that chance (however small it may be) that some freak condition would compromise the design of the "not as safe" device.

As of today and this point in racing history, I believe the safer device to be the ISAAC.

I guess I am in a unique situation because I don't have a long history in racing. I'm just trying to get back in after a 2 year hiatus, and 2 years ago, I was just beginning to race.

Thus, for those of you who are "choosing to race", the cost of not being able to race in NASA is a cost that may not outweigh the benefit of superior protection (ISAAC).

For me, I won't be investing in a device that I feel is inferior. (I didn't say "unsafe", I just said "inferior".)

We really don't need to be having these conversations if SFI would just get rid of the one minor technicality preventing the ISAAC from being certified...

To answer your hypothetical question, I would use both safety devices. I would meet the mandate of the sanction body, thus conforming to the rules, and then I would use the additional safety gear as well...as reasonable.

Honestly, if enough people lobby to SFI, I am sure something can be done with in reason.

I would never condone pulling a fast one, but why not race with an ISAAC if that is what you feel so strongly about? I would wager a bet that you might get away with it.

I really think that people need to decide if racing is worth it to them or not. If this SFI issue is SO BIG, then stop racing, because clearly for some, the act of racing is not their number one priority of involvement in this sport.

I would never condone pulling a fast one, but why not race with an ISAAC if that is what you feel so strongly about? I would wager a bet that you might get away with it.

he.. he.. he...

To answer your hypothetical question, I would use both safety devices. I would meet the mandate of the sanction body, thus conforming to the rules, and then I would use the additional safety gear as well...as reasonable.

Honestly, if enough people lobby to SFI, I am sure something can be done with in reason.

I really think that people need to decide if racing is worth it to them or not. If this SFI issue is SO BIG, then stop racing, because clearly for some, the act of racing is not their number one priority of involvement in this sport.

I'm planning on purchasing the ISAAC, so yes, I'm doing exactly what you propose.

There is still one major organization I will be able to race in, so I will focus on that sanctioning body's series for now.

The only reason why I'm really bothering to post in nasaforums.com is because I was so pumped about the Spec3 series, but then finding out about the SFI 38.1 requirement really put a damper on things.

My membership/entry fee dollars will remain with the "other racing org" for now, but depending on if there are any changes to the existing rules that would work in ISAAC users' favor, I may end up joining after all.

snk, I find your argument pretty weak at best. You come across as a spoiled child who is upset because you can't have what you want; so you won't play at all.

You raced 2 years ago, and because a HNR wasn't required, you didn't wear one at all? But now that they will be required, you insist on one that isn't allowed. Hmm, something isn't right here...

By the way, how many injuries were due to someone wearing a HANS device, instead of some "superior" device?

Personally, for those crying because they can't wear an Isaac, and threatening to race somewhere else; just go already.

snk, I find your argument pretty weak at best. You come across as a spoiled child who is upset because you can't have what you want; so you won't play at all.

You raced 2 years ago, and because a HNR wasn't required, you didn't wear one at all? But now that they will be required, you insist on one that isn't allowed. Hmm, something isn't right here...

By the way, how many injuries were due to someone wearing a HANS device, instead of some "superior" device?

Personally, for those crying because they can't wear an Isaac, and threatening to race somewhere else; just go already.

Two years ago, I didn't know anything about HNR's. I've kept reading up on the forums and reading various folks' experience and now that sanctioning bodies are beginning to require them, I've made the decision to invest in one.

SCCA still doesn't require an HNR so your implication that I'm only doing this to avoid buying an HNR is not true. I've already stated that I'm going to buy an ISAAC. I plan on racing my BMW 325 in ITR unless NASA's SFI 38.1 requirement changes between now and June, in which case I will seriously consider going Spec3. Thus, your implication that I'm only making these comments to avoid getting an HNR simply isn't true. If this is not what you were implying, I apologize.

I would consent to your assumption that I'm whining like a spoiled child if it wasn't for the fact that there are many others like myself trying to get the ISAAC accepted as an HNR fit for competition use in all of the sanctioning bodies we are interested in racing in.

I don't like to make generalizations about others, but those folks who keep trying to quell our discussions and dialogs with regards to this issue is doing themselves a disfavor. Keeping innovative safety technologies out due to a minor technicality inhibits progress and more safety for those of us who are essentially risking their lives as a hobby.

Finally, you can accuse me of being a geek and nerd all day, everyday. That fact, I am proud of.

ITR is a lot different than SPEC3 will be. So you're going to build a $30k ITR car, what happens if SCCA passes the sfi H&N rule in 2009???

Anyway this is off topic. Any news to what suspension or tires spec3 will run on? I'd guess toyo's, but what size?