Spec3???

mcolangelo2005

ITR is a lot different than SPEC3 will be. So you're going to build a $30k ITR car, what happens if SCCA passes the sfi H&N rule in 2009???

Anyway this is off topic. Any news to what suspension or tires spec3 will run on? I'd guess toyo's, but what size?

I don't plan on spending $30K in ITR. Not even close. SCCA already tried to require SFI 38.1 but it didn't after its members raised their voices. I know they've done many things people don't agree with, but they did the right thing this time, IMO. I'll hold my faith that they will keep listening with regards to this specific issue.

Agreed that this is getting too off topic for this thread. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I may be able to participate in Spec3 but if it doesn't happen, then I'm sure I won't be missed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• getfast

• snk

• Renntag

• mcolangelo2005

ITR is a lot different than SPEC3 will be. So you're going to build a $30k ITR car, what happens if SCCA passes the sfi H&N rule in 2009???

Anyway this is off topic. Any news to what suspension or tires spec3 will run on? I'd guess toyo's, but what size?

I'm hearing 15's

• Members

I have a 94 325i that I was using as a daily driver, it has a moisture problem, the sunroof leaked... I got tired of the damp, musty, mildew smell in it so we gutted it and put a cage in it this weekend. I am going to set it up for Performance Touring (PT) and/or GTS...

...and still drive it as a daily driver!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I just finished and E36 and plan to race it in GTS - I haven't heard anything yet about the series so I am assuming it might appear in '09. Meanwhile the GTS group in our region is healthy and fun to run with so I'll race with them

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Updating here as I just did on bimmerforums...

Here is what's going on, paraphrased from a phonecall with the Spec3 series creator/director this morning.

One of the main goals for NASA Spec3 is affordable competitive roadracing with a car that is relatively easy to obtain and assemble. Therefore, as part of the "spec'ing" process for all the parts involved, NASA is obtaining not only special part numbers but also discounted prices for anyone building a car. NASA is also making sure the spec part sources will already have plenty of the spec items in stock beforehand, and will be capable of continued production on demand. The recent news on nasaforums is about the Spec3 brake pads specifically:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21163

...and that deal is just the first of several similar arrangements.

The rules themselves are done, i.e. the spec parts have all been decided. The document could've been released 1-2 months ago with "here they are guys, start building your cars at full price for everything" then when people called the vendors, the answer could've been "sorry sir, that's back-ordered." Instead, and specifically because of the delay, you will tentatively soon be able to call a spec source for a spec part and get it not only right then, but also at a nice discount. For those who are patient and can understand what kind of undertaking that can be... the rewards will definitely be worth it once the rules are released.

And just to throw y'all a bone, here's another pic of the prototype:

http://www.get-fast.net/gallery/feb08vir/feb08vir013.jpg

Thanks,

Jon

• Members

Let me preface this with acknowleding that complaining has become somewhat of a national past-time. Most folks could use a dose of "suck it up and move on". That being said....

It's hard to understand how one starts with a philosophy of "keep the cost down" and ends up specing the brake pads. I understand specing the calipers and rotors, but pads? Different pads and pad combinations suit different driving styles. If there's a brake pad out there that is clearly better (not just different, but better) then any other pad, I'd sure like to hear about it. I need all the help I can get.

What's next, spec oil and fluids?

the prototype was out at VIR this last weekend and ran in the comp school.... Congrats to James Packer who

successfully passed the school and earned his license.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your hard work on this, Chris and Jon.

The minimum racing weight of 2970 lbs seems a bit high. Any reason why it can't be lower? How stripped down was your test car? Was all of the soundproofing removed?

• 1 month later...

See the bimmerforums link above for much discussion.

Otherwise, no news... chassis #2 is almost complete, gets logbooked next week, and will make its race debut at Hyperfest.

Jon

• 5 months later...

Talk to me goose. [/top gun]

Any updates? If this is going to be shelved for a while that's cool, but either way I'm planning on buying and caging an e36. The question then is what class to prep for. I've always loved the e36, and would love for this to happen.