Advise on engine upgrades - Ford

D Algozine

• Members

Especially since it'll probably be Pete or Lester

What are you willing to put up?

You'll have to ask Lawrence.

Probably sounds like you have doubts!!!!

I do have doubts - after talking to Lester I am not sure Pete will be able to beat his new car!

Why do I have to ask Lawrence? I put MY money where MY mouth was...

YOU should do the same

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mwilson7

• D Algozine

• Jim P.

• racercosmo

I do have doubts - after talking to Lester I am not sure Pete will be able to beat his new car!

Why do I have to ask Lawrence? I put MY money where MY mouth was...

Actually you didn't...you stated MIGHT

YOU should do the same

Simple enough - I'll give a weekend away at IRP October 9-10th to the AIX winner

So that means the winner get both a weekend at Roebling Road AND a weekend at IRP. Is that correct Jim?

Drifting is where you try to keep the rear tires spinning and the car sideways for as long as possible.

That's great! Thanks for the explanation of drifting!

• 2 weeks later...

Cosmo,

6 wins out of 8 starts for Keith is very impressive, but don't you really mean it's 5 of 8? You aren't seriously going to count Keith spinning out Mike on the first corner of the race as a "Win", are you?

Since I haven't been to any of the races since Fontana, I don't know what you are speaking, so forgive me. When I look at the race recaps and the point standings on the AI West website, it appears to me that Keith has won 6 races and finished 2nd in 2 races. He does have 5 pole positions, so maybe that's where your confusion originates. Is Mike going to race anywhere other than Buttonwillow this year?

Thank you to Jim Pantas for providing the Mid Ohio AIX winner a free pass to Roebling Road. The OH/IN region will be providing the OH/IN Racer who wins either the Saturday race or Sunday race in AI and AIX a $100 bill. That is $400 total up for grabs for OH/IN racers to take home (2 races AIX at $100 each, 2 races AI at $100 each).

Consider it a bounty for OH/IN racers to collect for capturing the 1st place spot!

Now to go find another 70 hp for the Thunderbird to keep sight of the 1st place battles...

LM

While I'd rather not go into this, it needs to be said. Keith believes, and since no penalties were assessed, NASA obviously also believes that Mike was into his spin before being tapped by Keith. Since this was on the first corner of the race, I'm sure nearly every NASA official was watching that corner. Keith always has a video in his car so we can probably see it.

If somebody thinks there is a problem with a race result, the time to protest it is immediately after the race, not making a pissy comment a month later.

Well, others have covered many different topics in this thread, which I have enjoyed following, but I'm going to attempt to bring it full circle and clarify my original question. Many have said heads and cam are the only way to go, which I agree. But, if I go that far I'm pulling the motor and tearing it down completely. Well, I don't have the time, because I don't want to miss any events. So, if I was looking for a 25 to 40hp increase on a good stock 95 302, what would some cost effective mods include?

Took us just one day to do the heads/cam/intake/TB/MAF install. Get a buddy, start taking it apart and have the new parts ready for the install and you should make the race. If you aren't up to it or don't have that much time, then I'd do just the top end parts now (intake/TB/MAF/injectors). Then throw a dyno tune session on the car and go racing.

FWIW my 110K short block has been racing (7 event weekends) with no problems after we put on the heads and other goodies so you may not have to do the complete rebuild if you so choose. Others on here may have better suggestions.

Just my $.02

Took us just one day to do the heads/cam/intake/TB/MAF install. Get a buddy, start taking it apart and have the new parts ready for the install and you should make the race. If you aren't up to it or don't have that much time, then I'd do just the top end parts now (intake/TB/MAF/injectors). Then throw a dyno tune session on the car and go racing.

FWIW my 110K short block has been racing (7 event weekends) with no problems after we put on the heads and other goodies so you may not have to do the complete rebuild if you so choose. Others on here may have better suggestions.

Just my $.02

I appreciate all the info. Others have sent PM's or emailed me with similiar advise. I was thinking about this last night and decided I should quit being a puss and just do it. Although I would need help to get it done. I'll be at the track this weekend, so I can pick a few brains in person and then get started.

Dave

edit:clarity

Edited by Guest

My best advise is to tell you to have a big BBQ with lots of alcohol that cannot be consumed until your car is done. That usually gets the job completed in record time!

My best advise is to tell you to have a big BBQ with lots of alcohol that cannot be consumed until your car is done. That usually gets the job completed in record time!

That may be the best advise I've heard.

Anyone hungry? ......... Thirsty?

I am always up for food and drink, though I am not allowed to work on cars any more. I can be there for moral support and group leadership!

I am always up for food and drink, though I am not allowed to work on cars any more. I can be there for moral support and group leadership!

Is that a self imposed banning, or did that come from higher up?

Not ot drag this thread back on topic, but Mark and the guys are right. A decent set of aluminum heads with intake, TB, MAF, exhaust, and tuning should get you around 300hp as long as the short is in good shape.

Do I have to pull the hair dryer off mine and get a number for the car to demonstrate? Watching these guys last weekend makes me wonder why I bothered with a stereo, interior, and 500rwhp on an OT car in the first place.

• 1 month later...
Dave,

You didn't say if you had a new harmonic balancer, if you don't - MAKE SURE YOU GET A NEW ONE (ROMAC, FRPP, whatever)! That stock Ford balancer will let you down somewhere down the line and may take your motor with it. Good luck in AI!

Does this apply to the DOHC?

Mr. Shugg?

• Members
You didn't say if you had a new harmonic balancer, if you don't - MAKE SURE YOU GET A NEW ONE (ROMAC, FRPP, whatever)! That stock Ford balancer will let you down somewhere down the line and may take your motor with it. Good luck in AI!

Been there - done that, talk about a tooth rattler! Seriously - MARK YOUR BALANCER - to make sure it isn't moving on you - my counterweight ended up riding on the back of the crank pulley.

Follow up:

Decided to go with the cheap, quick, mild, short term increase. I got the intake and roller rockers on ebay real cheap.

Cobra intake - mild port, match upper to lower and cleaning of castings

70 mm TB

75 mm MAF

1.7 roller rockers

fuel regulator and guage

The seat of the pants feeling was much better out of the corners and much imporved top end. I won't be able to compare lap times until the Putnam race in Oct.

I just ran it on the dyno. Previous (stock) pull was 212 hp & 279 ft lb. After the changes it ran 241 hp & 289 ft lb. Although it's not a huge improvement, it was close to what I expected and not a bad short term solution. The numbers are much imporved in the 3500 to 5500 range. The average tq between 3500 and 5500 is 262 ft lb, which is 22ft lb improvement. When I swap heads this winter I will perform a proper build up along with long tubes and better intake.

I still feel this was a quick and cheap way to get some minor impovements until a complete job could be done. Plus, this keeps me legal to run AGS in the MCSCC if I want.