Questions for my First HPDE for me in feb (VIR)

Sleepy_Steve

OEM style brakes is exactly what we're suggesting, just tweaking the components (pads, fluid) to handle the stress

I don't think anyone has told him to go run out and buy a big Brembo, Stoptech, or Wilwood kit yet

What Jon is suggesting is that there is something to learn regardless of your set up. Your equipment has a performance limit, learning to gently approach that limit and stay within it is important to learn. As your ability increases, you make smart upgrades to your equipment so as to push the over all performance limits.

At this point, I can only suggest to do what you feel is right. My recommendation was to upgrade fluid, flex lines, and ad ducts. This alone will extend the performance of the brake system. Beyond that the pad type doesnt matter much. Start with a decent affordable pad.

Lastly..... perhaps we need to explore the creation of http://www.ask-ken.org !!

• 1 month later...

That was awesome! Brakes worked great, even if they were hard to keep up to temp in the cold. Learned a lot about car control an all that good stuff...

Now if only I hadn't had the same ending to my first session...

...did you get to go out again after that 'wedge' incident between the rear of your car and the surface of pit in? i saw both cars and of course it could have been much worse. i'm assuming you are both ok and will just live and learn!? i was in group two and just saw the aftermath out of the corner of my eye.

Yeah, I only missed the third session Saturday, and a classroom session Saturday as well. Sunday went very well. No real issues... aside from being the loudest in my run group.

You were not as slow as you might think. Working grid we see all the cars and you did ok on the front. Couldnt see you in the corners but right now smooth is better than fast anyway. Fast in the corner without smooth = spin. Even slow without smooth = spin. The little black civic than ran 70 on the front stretch managed to spin somewhere out back. If you can be smooth, fast will come along right behind.